Razer Core discussion & benchmarks

Discussion in 'Razer' started by MSGaldenzi, Mar 16, 2016.

1. sicily428

sicily428 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  2. Eason

Eason Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Sold my core. Will maybe get a node later

3. Vistar Shook

Vistar Shook Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I will probably go with the Node as well since it is cheaper, and the USB hub on the core doesn´t seem to work anyways. I am wondering how well the 1080Ti would work in the Core, or will it´s performance be hampered more so than the 1080, for example?

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
  4. sicily428

sicily428 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    msi gs63vr 6rf+ razer core+gtx1080 works :)
    i post here an info that a user of msi forum shared about fps in a gaming session with a gs63vr 6rf+razer core+gtx1080
    https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=268967.7
    my question was:
    "hi! are there problems of compatibility between razer core and msi gs63vr 6rf or msi gs43vr?"
    the answer was:
    "If you are still bugged with this question, I can give you a positive answer. My friend has a razercore with razer stealth + msi GTX1080. I brought my GS63 to my friend today and test it with RazerCore. It works perfectly. I have been playing DOOM for like 3 hours, highest setting with FPS around 120 and up, without any flash out or other problem.

One tips for stable play using non-razer device with RazerCore. If you had any other discrete graphic driver (for me it's gtx1060), delete it. It will give you a more stable experience."

hmscott likes this.
  5. sicily428

sicily428 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    the autor of these two reviews says that msi gs63vr 6rf and also msi gs73vr 6rf work with razer core
    http://www.ultrabookreview.com/12557-msi-gs63vr-review/
    http://www.ultrabookreview.com/12167-msi-stealth-pro-gs73vr-review/

in the comments i can read
    "I didn't go through all the benchmarks again because the first few I did were identical to the Razer blade+ core. It's going to be consistent because they both have tb3 x4 and the same CPU. The GS63vr is also going to be the same. I'd run a couple more again for you but I no longer own a Core."

6. foamspoon

foamspoon Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    A few questions for you guys.

-For any of those who own the Razer Core, has a firmware update been released so that you can make use of the USB ports on the core without significant lag? I heard this was an issue with the core and while I realize you eat up some bandwidth I would like to use a keyboard/mouse plugged into to the core.

-What is the sweet-spot of price to performance for graphics cards inside the core? From my understanding the GTX 1080 would not be worth it inside the core, but the 1070 seems in the sweet spot? I wouldn't want to go much below that, because my 2016 Blade has nearly a desktop 1060. Why am I doing the core when I have a Blade? Well, of the main reasons the main issue for me is I can not run the Blade's 1060 at 40+% without the temps getting in the 85C range which is pretty damn hot (Maybe my blade is a bit defective, considering sending it in). From my understanding the Laptop's GPU would not run when using the core, this way only the CPU would run and since they share a heat sink this would improve my overall thermals.

-Would a blower style graphics card make more sense for the way the core is designed? or would it not really matter? Anyone know the fan configuration on the core?

7. Eason

Eason Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    no, the core's USB ports are still non-functional

Vistar Shook likes this.
  8. TyroG

TyroG Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hey guys, Is the razer core worth it? Do you travel with it ?

9. kent1146

kent1146 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    It is not worth it. If you're asking about value, it's not there. You'd get a lot more value from buying a separate gaming desktop, plus a laptop.

If you're asking if you can travel with it, the answer is no. If you're travelling with your Razer Core, you're doing it wrong. You get a lot more value and portability by just buying a gaming laptop.

External GPU docks are good for one thing... You want to game while at a desk, you want a portable laptop while on the go. And you're willing to pay several $100's and give up some degree or future upgradeability for that convenience.

And that's what it really is at this point. eGPU docks are an expensive convenience that some people are willing to pay for.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

pressing and TyroG like this.
  10. Eason

Eason Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    TyroG, pressing and hmscott like this.