Razer Core Disassembly & Fan Location Guide

Discussion in 'Razer' started by Lauski, Feb 27, 2017.

1. Assembler

Assembler Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    How did you made those adapters if I may ask ? I am in the process of replacing the fans, but this is the only step where I am stuck. I do not have any tools or experience in such things, but I am able to get all the cables / connectors and some neat fitting fans.

2. Lauski

Lauski Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The one side is the JST 1.0mm 4pin connector. You can search for these online. I found some on Amazon without too much trouble in the U.S. Next, the other side is just a standard female PWM fan connector. Make sure if you're changing the fans you put in a fan that is PWM. Standard 3-wire fans are going to just run at full speed, I found from my testing.

3. marcotini

marcotini Newbie

Reputations:
    Can you explain which cable jst is needed? Because I already have a 4pin but it’s a little larger than the Razer’s one. Do you think that this one are ok? http://s.aliexpress.com/VJfyqmq2

And I’ve not understood the pwm situation. It’s capable or not?

So the PWM fan works ok? How about the sounds? The 40x20 Noctua's fan are better than the stock one?

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
  4. Lauski

Lauski Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    No, the "SH" brand is different than the "JST" brand. Make sure you get the JST 1.0mm 4pin. See if this link loads for you on Amazon: www.amazon.com/Exiron-Micro-1-0mm-Female-Connector/dp/B07FVSB3H1

So as far as PWM goes, let me be clear since there are some different fans in the core and I'm not sure which ones you're thinking about changing:
    • Inside the Power Supply: No option for PWM here, but the 40x20mm Noctuas are the great choice. They come with 2-wire adapters, were much quieter and fit the space perfectly.
    • Other parts of the Razer Core: The other 3 fans in the core are PWM, but due to their very skinny sizes, I could never find suitable replacements. Noctua did not make one at the time. I found a few 3-wire fans that would fit, but in testing they just ran at full speed all the time and were then noisier than the original fans.

Thus, I sort of concluded at the end of all this research: change out the power supply fans and it got the core quieter (and more consistent overall) to where I think a majority of people would be happy with its operation. Good luck!

5. marcotini

marcotini Newbie

Reputations:
    Ah ok ok, thank you.
    Well... open the PS it's not simple, so I think that I'll go for the 2m cable. Thank you anyway.