Razer Blade Pro 2017 Battery Bulge

Discussion in 'Razer' started by msintle, Jan 17, 2018.

1. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    MSI's and current Alienwares also use these pouch type lithium polymer batteries. Are there any cases known where it happened within those laptops as well?

edit: https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=265572.0

Well seems that MSI'sa re also plagued by this.

mason2smart and Joikansai like this.
  2. mason2smart

mason2smart Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:

Vistar Shook likes this.
  3. mason2smart

mason2smart Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    If I can remember correctly, the battery in the MSI GT80s/GT83 was not a pouch-type LiPo....

rinneh likes this.
  4. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Yeah they only seem to use it in the GS series.

Vasudev and mason2smart like this.
  5. Saikotek

Saikotek Newbie

Reputations:
    Sorry to bump an old post. Found this thread after a google search when I found out my battery was bulging.

Another google search found a website that sells replacements of the same model. On the label, the 4th line says it's model: F1.
    https://www.laptop-battery-shop.com/razer-f1-rz090165-114v-8700mah-original-batteries-p-5926.html

Haven't made a purchase yet, but think it's worth looking at if you really need a replacement. The only one I've seen so far.

If you don't need the battery, undervolting your system should help with high loads. I'm currently using Prime95 and FurMark to cure some thermal compound and have no issues with power draw.

Hope this may help someone who happens this issue, and thank you all so much for the helpful info in the previous pages.

6. [NaZ]

[NaZ] Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just had the same issue with my RBP 2017 model. Returned for a refund but still tempted by the laptops general awesomeness.. I know it shouldn't have these problems, but does any other laptop come close to packing the same punch within such a small form factor. Any ideas what's in store for Q4 2018?

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
  7. MitoZo

MitoZo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  8. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The rbp isnt that thin.... But the smaller the laptop, the more heat issues it will have and heat is the ultimate battery killer.

Vasudev likes this.
  9. discipl3

discipl3 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi everyone - I created an account here just to share my RBP story in the hopes that it would help anyone going through the same ordeal. I found the information here in this thread super valuable, and this info combined with some digging around led me to a positive outcome.

The short version is that mine was bought new from Razer, gently used, and I discovered it looking like it was going to explode like a chest burster alien from the inside out. It was slightly out of warranty by 4 months, Razer was absolutely useless in helping me fix it (or even be cool about it), so I replaced the battery myself and it was a extremely easy to do.

Here's a little more detail:

1) I'm a professional designer and I bought my Razer Blade Pro in April of August of 2017. It's only been moved off of my desk probably five times in it's lifetime, and it's had what I consider to be a very easy life in a professional setting. It does do heavy lifting with 3d apps and generate a lot of heat, but it just sits off to the side with the lid open hooked up to an external monitor, keyboard, and mouse.

2) About two weeks ago I tried to take my laptop downstairs to have a little LAN party playing Minecraft with my three kids and the lid wouldn't close. I was like WHOA - because I then noticed the insane warping happening to the body. The track pad wouldnt work, half the keys wouldn't register, and it looked like it was going to explode.

3) I bought the laptop through Razerzone directly, so I contacted Razer support. As everyone else has experienced, their support sucks. I got a broken English response stating that my laptop is out of the 12 month warranty period (by 4 months) and that I need to pack it up and ship it in for a repair quote. No mention of the fact that it's a fire hazard, maybe I should stop using it, nothing. Totally useless.

4) I decided to remove the battery myself, since I've never used the battery and don't really move the machine off of my desk. This process was super easy - you only need a very small hex bit and a very small Phillips bit to do it. You just take out all of the screws on the bottom and the bottom plate comes right off. Then you can unscrew the battery tray and unhook one cable and then it's out. Nothing like working on the inside of an Apple product which is like nano surgery. As others have stated (thank you!) - the trackpad, keyboard, and case all seemed to reshape themselves back perfectly. Trackpad and keyboard all work perfectly again. Those who said the KB and trackpad worked after removing the battery gave me the confidence to try it on my own. Everything snapped back into place. PLEASE NOTE - I wore eye protection and was kinda worried this thing might just explode, but based on others descriptions I was confident mine wasnt as bad as some others have been. Please use your good judgement and good safety precautions when doing this. Apparently the battery cells can leak, catch fire, etc.

5) I ordered a new battery and tray from here for $98.00 and paid 9.99 for the two year protection plan in case the same thing happens again. (high likelihood based on the data here Im guessing) https://www.ebay.com/itm/153257353751

6) I bought this laptop cooler for the RBP to sit on top of on my desk in the hopes that it might keep the heat down - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J0NZYOK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

All in all, I own many Razer keyboards, mice, mouse pads, and this machine. The RBP is an absolutely awesome machine. It's been stable and super high performing for me... I can't even hate on it. But, if this was Apple they'd just replace it no questions asked. I didn't realize how Razer operated as a company, but now I do. There's no good or easy way to get support in the event of something like this. I'm appalled at the boilerplate response to something as dangerous as this and can't believe they let this happen systemically without addressing it. I won't say right now that I'll stop buying Razer products, since they're actually good. But as others have suggested, it's probably better to buy their machines through Best Buy or Amazon and get the warranty they offer. Good luck everyone!

10. mehra

mehra Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey guys,

I would like to share my experience as well. I faced this bulging issue as well with my RBP 17 4K about 6 months back. I was able to successfully remove the battery, contacted Razer customer care, they wanted me to ship the laptop to them, which I really can't. This is my main workstation and since I keep getting regular projects, it's really difficult for me to ship the laptop out and then wait a month/ month and a half for me to get back my system. To top it all up, the customs in India is a pain. I live in India and had this laptop delivered to me through a relative living in the states about a year and half back. The laptop is currently running on a UPS. I did order a battery replacement after some research from this site: https://www.laptop-battery-shop.com/. I received the battery on time, but upon installation I faced an issue where Windows failed to detect the battery percentage and the laptop would automatically shut down after 10-15 mins of usage on battery. I had the battery for about a week and then decided to ship it back as it wasn't working. The customer care from the website was very responsive. After being unable to fix the problem, I shipped the battery back to them and got a full refund (No complaints there).

I realized, maybe its best to make a quick trip to a country with razer service center and get this done once and for all. The UPS has been working just fine, I don't travel much with the laptop so its been sitting well as a desktop with battery backup.