Razer Blade Pro 2017 Battery Bulge

Discussion in 'Razer' started by msintle, Jan 17, 2018.

1. slimjim8201

slimjim8201 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I refuse to participate in the Twittersphere. Happy for anyone else to share my pics if need be.

The third fan wouldn't do anything to dramatically lower any specific component temp, especially not the battery given it is basically walled off in it's own enclosure. The third fan would help to spread heat around inside the chassis to prevent hot spots or individual hot components, within reason. Some areas would have ended up being slightly warmer, some slightly cooler, but none would have changed dramatically from not having a fan at all. If the fan had a dedicated cold air inlet, then perhaps it would have been effective.

Vasudev, Vistar Shook and saturnotaku like this.
  2. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Best thing you and @msintle can do is file a BBB (Better Business Bureau) complaint and inform Razer support as much. Also get written up by a NBR, Notebookcheck, or some other tech site in an article. Exploding batteries is always big news. And an article would get Razer off their arse

Vasudev and Vistar Shook like this.
  3. t456

t456 1977-09-05, 12:56:00 UTC Moderator

Reputations:
    It can only be the result of the battery itself. Nitty-gritty; the li-ion pouches inside the pack.

The cause is water, which either got in at the factory (air too damp) or because it hasn't been sealed properly, so ambient air containing a bit of moisture got in. Since there's been multiple reports you'll likely find that all battery packs from the same batch will have the same problem.

If Razer is not forthcoming with replacement packs and no after-market alternatives are available; it is possible to diy a new pack. Just open the outer black plastic wrapper (this serves no purpose) and measure the dimensions of the pouches inside. Buy new ones and solder them back to the battery pack's pcb, which can be kept.

This image is interesting:

[​IMG]

The nominal voltage of a li-ion cell is 3.7V and its charging voltage is 4.2V. This is true for practically every cell in use; laptops, phones, tablets, electrical bicycles and cars alike. A battery pack has several cells in series and possibly two or more in parallel, so if this Razer pack says '11.4V' then that means 11.4/3 = 3.8V per cell series (4 cells would give a voltage far too low). The same for the charging voltage; 13.05/3 = 4.35V. A higher voltage means you can pump in more energy in the same volume of battery, but there's obviously an off-set to that, otherwise the other 99% of manufacturers wouldn't stick to their measly 4.2V. Not to say Razer's overcharging is the cause of the gaseous build-up, but at the very minimum longevity will be compromised; these things will age much faster than if they were charged to standard 4.2V.

Anyway, we can now also find replacement pouches; 3950mAh/2 = 1975 mAh. Looking at the shape and shades of the wrapper it is likely there's really 6 cells inside, so a 2-parallel/3-series design.

Batteries with such an oddly random capacity do not exist, but if we take overcharging into account then we get around 1900mAh each, so something like this one. You have to desolder the tiny pcb underneath the yellow foil; it's there to protect against excessive voltages, but the pack's own pcb will handle that. Or not ... considering this crazy Razer design.

Hmm, if you really want a properly working battery then you also have to consider writing a modified firmware to the pack, limiting the charge voltage to the normal 4.2V. Wrote a guide for that and the soldering bit needed for the re-shelling, in case anyone's motivated to tackle this: Guide: replacing and upgrading laptop batteries.

Vasudev and Vistar Shook like this.
  4. msintle

msintle Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have filed BBB complaint ID #12624311.

Interesting BBB factoid on Razer:

14% positive and 86% NEGATIVE reviews on Razer found on the BBB.

ThatOldGuy and Vasudev like this.
  5. Sumanji

Sumanji Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    mason2smart and t456 like this.
  6. msintle

Reputations:
    That's pretty sharp of you! It was our mistake to buy a Razer Blade Pro 2017 after all the trouble we went through with the Razer Blade Pro 2016. Future buyers, be warned!

Yep, still no response from Razer. We're collecting contacts for a class action lawsuit. That'll teach them a lesson.

Its the only way to get these companies to pay attention - hurt their bottom line.

They've ignored, so far, reddit, BBB, twitter, and all other avenues of contact we've reached out at them.

7. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    They use terrible battery packs, unfortunately they dont take any responsibilities for their errors.
    I dont understand why they use fairly no name brand battery packs. For the money they easily could use good LG, Samsung, Toshiba, Sony packs or even second tier packs from Simplo.

Anyone with this issue, goodluck with getting this sorted. Your best bet would be ordering one from aliexpress. A lot of chinese vendors sell authentic parts directly from the factory.

https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesal...0201124706&SearchText=razer+blade+pro+battery < try comparing the part numbers here.

Is your chassis still okay?

8. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I onyl remember that they hardly make any profit because of service issues and returns.

9. slimjim8201

slimjim8201 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    For what it's worth, my chassis did return to normal after the battery bulging. It looked like @msintle had a bit more flex, especially in the rear near the horizontal vents. My chassis flex was limited to the middle of the unit, from the left side of the trackpad to about the H,J,N,M key region. @msintle , does your machine have permanent flex at this point?

Honestly, I'm going to run sans battery from here on out. This is a work laptop and I do travel, but I NEVER have the machine off the wall. I hate doing work on planes or in coffee shops, and in the event that I do need to open it up and get something quickly out of the way, I'll find a wall plug every time. For that reason, I'm going to avoid putting a poorly managed explosive device back in this unit.

I consider myself lucky that this is the only issue I've had with the unit as of yet. And right now I'm going to find a huge piece of wood to knock on.

Vistar Shook likes this.
  10. msintle

Reputations:
    My chassis is fine - thanks for asking - but the keyboard issues are back at it again (y keypress real tough, among others)...

I've also got a fresh new issue - games don't run!

When I boot a game that taxes the GPU, the machine shuts down within a matter of tens of seconds!

I wonder if my GPU has died already - or whether this is a wattage issue, where the absence of the battery causes terminal issues due to power supply wattage insufficiencies...

Really, `balls to bones` as the Oracle once said in the Matrix, this machine has been insufferable torture...

mason2smart and Vistar Shook like this.