Razer Blade Pro 2017 Battery Bulge

Discussion in 'Razer' started by msintle, Jan 17, 2018.

1. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    He say the issue was with the 2017 model which owned for 1 year.

Should be cover under warranty. But dunno if Razer would honor it.

Vistar Shook likes this.
  2. msintle

msintle Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Why should I send it in? This is a mission critical device which works fine sans the battery. Sure, I'll send it in if Razer ships out a temporary replacement first. It's the least they could do for *all* of the issues we've had with their 2016 and 2017 line of the Blade so-called "Professional".

Vistar Shook likes this.
  3. Vistar Shook

Vistar Shook Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Razer doesn't ship out parts. They might do advanced replacement, but I wouldn't recommend it, since they might not honor the warranty, because you opened it and removed the battery, and even if they do, it can be a pain in the arse to get the money back on the advanced replacement. I've heard stories of several months to get the refund on the advanced replacement, and some had to resort to calling their credit card company to resolve the issue.

4. msintle

Reputations:
    Yes, with a swelling battery that was about to burst through the case, I'm not sure I had any choice.

No shipping company in their right mind would carry such a battery or an 'inflating machine' as it is a huge fire hazard.

What's truly remarkable here is not whether or not I may have voided the warranty, but how such a company manages to stay in business.

5. Mobius 1

Reputations:
    opening laptop to avoid potential fire hazard of putting pressure on a swollen battery voids the warranty

guess they want the user to die of fire, because you don't have to honor the warranty of someone who died

6. msintle

Reputations:
    Indeed! Problem solved:cool:

7. slimjim8201

slimjim8201 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Holy smokes! That battery looked even worse than mine. I've got mine sitting on my desk here as a paperweight. Huge bonus to a ****ed up battery is that this is now the lightest GTX1080 laptop on the market. ;)

After removal, my trackpad and keyboard returned to functioning as normal and the chassis deformation appears to be only temporary. I've run this machine through a lot of stress tests since, and had it piping hot from a few multi-hour PUBG sessions and I have yet to run into a power limit issue/crash/error/etc. I expected to hit one rather soon as I assumed this machine utilized battery boost to make up for the 250W power supply limit.

I contacted HIDEvolution and have not heard back yet. (Great support everyone said...). Obviously I cannot ship this battery back, nor will I put it back in the laptop. I actually have several contacts at Razer through work, but I'm not sure how much they can do. Clearly there is an issue with the battery itself, the batter thermal management, or the battery power management.

All that said, everything else about this laptop has been pretty awesome. Credit where credit is due, I don't have CPU or GPU thermal issues and performance has been stellar.

Vistar Shook likes this.
  8. slimjim8201

Reputations:
  9. slimjim8201

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vistar Shook likes this.
  10. Mobius 1

Reputations:
    IIRC in 2017 model they removed the 3rd internal fan that circulates air. Maybe that's the problem causing overheating?

But then again the 2016 models have problems too...

Try tweet Razer support so they can give their opinion in front of a public crowd.

Vistar Shook likes this.