Razer Blade Pro 2017 Battery Bulge

Discussion in 'Razer' started by msintle, Jan 17, 2018.

1. msintle

msintle Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'd been having issues with my one year old Razer Blade Pro 2017 keyboard which I had been chalking up to poor build quality or my rotten luck (I've had plenty of issues with Razer Blade Pro 2016 as well).

One fine morning I woke up to see a visible bulge on the surface of the device:

keyboard deformations due to bulge.jpg
    I tried to close the lid of the device, which resulted in a no-go, further illustrating the extent of the deformation of the device:

lid wont close left.jpg
    In view of the rapidly escalating situation, I flipped the device over to its back, where, surprise!

huge bulge under the case.jpg
    I rapidly proceeded to unscrew the device, in light of news of exploding batteries in tight, confined spaces. Indeed, it was the battery at fault:

battery bottom.jpg
    Major swelling is visible on all surfaces:

battery top.jpg

2. msintle

Reputations:
    The battery swelling looks scariest from side angles:

battery left.jpg
    It really was primed to go off any instant:

battery right.jpg
    Putting the laptop back together, the keyboard worked fine again! It was the battery all along, and I have no idea how long I'd been typing on top of a ticking time bomb.

It's quite remarkable the case held everything together for as long as it did. As I was unscrewing the device, screws came popping off due to the pressure exerted by the battery.

Now this machine is my company's build server. It cannot go offline. Razer are asking that we send it back for repair. I've already removed and disposed of the battery, of course, and potentially voided the warranty in the process.

A quick online search reveals posts from users on all top ten results at Google for "Razer Blade Pro 2017", virtually all complaining about battery issues just like this one.

In light of earlier issues I've had with this device and its previous generation, I've got a few recommendations:

1. Avoid Razer like the plague.
    2. Don't buy Razer products.
    3. Steer all clear of Razer.

Did I mention that Razer support are absolutely useless, decline to ship a battery, or take any other form of accountability with regards to this incident?

I understand there's shipping restrictions on batteries, but then don't build ticking time bombs, Razer.

Does anyone know of a spare battery that can be used with this system and be sourced from a third party?

mason2smart likes this.
  3. don_svetlio

don_svetlio In the Pipe, Five by Five.

Reputations:
    Eason likes this.
  4. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    you are the second forum member in the space of a week.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...u-7820k-cpu-2017-owners-lounge.803629/page-51

This points to a serious problem (razer pro owners are rare around here as it is); not just bad luck. If Razer doesn't take action soon, there could be a fire/explosion incident.

They will most likely either bury their heads in the sand; or move to quickly discredit or snuff out complaints.

@pbhenry3 Have you seen this behavior before in any of the 14's?

Tagging some people who might find this of interest
    @Mobius 1 @iunlock @Galm @slimjim8201 @Vistar Shook @rinneh

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
  5. msintle

Reputations:
    Thank you.

Do you believe batteries/computers that are not in use might also be affected by this issue?

Is there a class action lawsuit possible here?

6. Galm

Galm "Stand By, We're Analyzing The Situation!"

Reputations:
    Perhaps @D2 Ultima or someone can find the source, but wasn't it some staggering percentage of Blade Pros were RMA'd? We got a number when Razer went public. Don't quote me on it but I swear it was like 80% or something insane like that.

don_svetlio likes this.
  7. msintle

Reputations:
    I am not surprised. That reflects my experience with these devices. We'll never buy Razer ever again. Kudos to their marketing team, but their product is abhorrent. If any one of them are looking for a job selling a product that actually works as advertised, please PM me directly.

8. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 nͫٴiͤٴcͫٴeͤ੮Һ૯ ცɿ૭ ૭คעٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴ

Reputations:
    Is this still in warranty? What month did you buy it in 2017?

9. Vistar Shook

Vistar Shook Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It will be very hard to find that particular battery aftermarket, and very unlikely that pbhenry3 has one either. Even HIDevolution extended warranty doesn't service these notebooks, they send it to Razer, which will charge quite a bit out of warranty.

10. Vistar Shook

Vistar Shook Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I thought it was the 2016 one, he has the 2017, so still under warranty. But he doesn't want to send it in, that is his issue I believe.