Razer Blade Pro 2017 (17") CPU Too Slow

Discussion in 'Razer' started by msintle, May 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. msintle

msintle Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The CPU never exceeds 3.54 GHz, regardless of workload.

The design spec of this CPU is 2.9 GHz - 3.9 GHz, meaning it is expected to hit 3.9 GHz easily, depending on the workload, without any custom overclocking.

Additionally, Razer also advertises that the CPU is overclocked up to 4.3 GHz automatically when the "Performance Optimized" selection is made in their Synapse app, which is the only place according to them where overclocking may be made.

This setting has no effect. Additionally, the app is quite buggy - choosing the "Balanced" selection in their Synapse app does not enable the Quiet fan mode.

So this new Razer Blade Pro 2017 is stuck on ultra-loud fans and a CPU that performs slower than Intel's factory specs.

Razer support have not yet provided any assistance.

No drivers or documentation is available to troubleshoot the issue.

Has anyone run into this and solved the issue?

Vistar Shook likes this.
  2. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    cpu runs to hot and cannot be overclocked to advertised speeds (4+ghz for 7820HK)

don_svetlio, msintle and Papusan like this.
  3. msintle

Reputations:
    I cannot even get it to run at 3.9 GHz, which is Intel's design spec.

4. Mobius 1

Reputations:
    what cpu do you have? 7820HK?

the intel design spec is only for base clock, anything higher than that isn't guaranteed

msintle and Papusan like this.
  5. msintle

Reputations:
    Yes, 7820HK.

I have never seen an Intel CPU fail to reach its top turbo limit (3.9 GHz in this case).

It may not sustain it based on load, but it must easily reach it.

6. Mobius 1

Reputations:

what stress test are you running

can you replicate the problem while running throttlestop and opening "limit reasons" tab?

msintle likes this.
  7. flazoon

flazoon Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The default profile is 3.9GHz for 1 active core + 3.7 two cores + 3.6 three cores + 3.5 four active cores. Most probably your benchmark uses all 4 cores thus the 3.5GHz reading. This can be seen using a tool such as Intel XTU.
    The performance profile sets 4.3GHz for all cores. Synapse software is buggy so you may have to create new profiles in order to get the proper default and performance mode respectively.
    With an undervolt of 130mV for default I get decent CPU temps in games/benchmarks (low 80s). In performance mode undervolting 80m will usually prevent termal throttling (at least for shorter stress duration) but will get the CPU temps to the high 90s.
    Hope this helps.

msintle, hmscott and Vistar Shook like this.
  8. msintle

Reputations:
    I've attached the results with throttlestop:
    throttlestop.png

Limit reasons appears empty, the issue is not hardware/thermal related:
    limitreasons.png

The results don't change no matter what app I use, for example DiskZIP compression with 8 cores, wPrime benchmark with 8 cores, XTU benchmark, etc.

9. msintle

Reputations:
    That helps a LOT.

I believe buggy Synapse profiles are to blame. First of all, Synapse doesn't even see my Razer laptop (notice how you can only see the headphone at the bottom of this screenshot):
    synapse.png

Choosing this headphone results in an impossibility to revert back to the Razer laptop settings, as in this screenshot:
    surround pro.png
    The only way to revert is by shutting down and then restarting Synapse. However, this results in the new problem where you cannot select the Auto or Low power profiles, even when in the Balanced power profile selection (see first screenshot above).

The only fix to that problem is by creating a new Razer Synapse profile as you have suggested. However, this still does not solve the problem of the CPU running too slow. Enter XTU:
    xtu2.png
    Even though I have manually requested an overclock to 4.3GHz, Synapse is somehow overriding the processor core ratio to 35x, and the processor cache ratio to 36x. XTU loses, Synapse wins:
    taskmgr.png

As you can see in the Task Manager, the CPU is firmly pegged down to an underperforming GHz.

This is when the system is under stress; when it is operating normally, the performance never exceeds 3.54 GHz (which makes sense for the first time, in light of the default profile that is exposed by XTU).

The question is - given how buggy Synapse is - how do I fix the problem?

Where does Synapse store its settings, default profiles, and such?

Uninstalling and reinstalling Synapse, as suggested by Razer support didn't help.

Their "cloud sync" is a menace, and probably just retrieves corrupted settings again.

If there isn't a local cache of these settings that can be overridden without syncing on the cloud, does this mean this buggy software is irremediably locking me out of this machine's true performance?

10. Darkhan

Darkhan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I would uninstall synapse and go into bios do a reset bios defaults.

And see what happens? I had similar issue and that brought my cpu back to 3.9

msintle likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.