Razer Blade Pro 17" GTX 1080 GPU/7820K CPU 2017 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Razer' started by shoespc, Apr 13, 2017.

1. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I didn’t depend Razer I stay on my comment because gtx1080 on Blade pro isn’t maxq design. Maxq firstly used i think on MSI laptop forgot the model it was 1070maxq which meant to be gpu on thin light products. And it’s based also on my experience, unfortunately I’ve only their tablet since Blade I usually sell for upgrade. There’s nothing wrong with my unit, I posted also how it’s looks like after over 1,5 years gaming usage, pretty similar with day one except the dust. I’ll be loud once my unit goes defect, but after having tons their products nothing are flaws. I can also depen Macbook if I want, I’ve 2012 MBP that runs still fast on Catalina and windows 1909. If you need I can also take internal photo. All of them literally plugged on the wall, AC brick I put on carpet without any scary, though after recent posts it made me a bit scary honestly.
    Edit: Bad thermal does any manufacturer, user usually repasting it for better thermal, but I didn’t I just reject it if thermal is high, since 2K machine imo shouldn’t have such needs, like I did on late 2016 Blade 14. WiFi card, which Model do you have? 2019 Intel one? On 14 killer wireless it was problems but not on Intel both on stealth 2019 and Blade 15 2018, maybe your network hates Intel wireless card.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
  2. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    MaxQ is nothing more than a full version GPU clocked back to meet a more ideal for mobile powercurve and you get the MaxQ certification when you also add in a noise limit. That is all what MaxQ is. Initially the first MaxQ gpu;s didnt even appear as MaxQ in the drivers even! THat is all there is too it. The Blade Pro 2017 is heavily clocked back just like a MaxQ but it runs loud (and probably the reason why it wasnt certified as MaxQ). It performs exactly the same as all other MaxQ 1080 laptops. So why does this matter?

Good for you that your unit still runs fine (which it should though to be honest, I mean it is about one year and a half old?) a lot of people run into issues and you and or me could be next with our machines. It is shameful that so many people need to service their machines after just about a year of use. It is shameful that Razer support is so bad. When it comes to peripherals about 80% failed within 2 years while all my other brands just live one and are discarded solely because I want something new. Razer is a trash company and this should be known to the general public. They have to be forced to take action.

I dont have wifi card issues, I am just point out examples.

Razer Blade 15 owners had to deal with faoling webcams (display cables), Battery bloat issues start to appear, the first batch plastic anchor points started to crack etc. This is unacceptable on any 1500+ euro machine. The display port and battery can easily be pointed out as weaknesses and flaws. Those are facts. The margins are razor thin (no pun intended). The chance that something goes wrong with one of those 2 parts is just too big.

I indeed have the 2019 version which turns 1 year old in April. Probably will repaste it the coming month, I dust it out every 2 months, I have it underclocked to 3.4ghz max, undervolted it and am worried everytime my battery starts to puff up because I game about 3 to 4 hours a day on it and I do my full time job on it. It is basically on 15 hours a day everyday. Have 1 small spot on my LCD of pressure damage for some reason so I have to replace my screen some point in time to cure my OCD.

3. zhere

zhere Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi razer crew i have been eyeing the razer blade pro for a while now. recently saw a brand new offering for 1800 dollars is this a good deal or i should avoid this laptop like a plague. thanks in advance.

4. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Is is the blade 17 2019 for that price? Its a low price for the specs. But it is unknown as of know if it suffers from the same issues as all the previous razer laptops do. But i would still avoid it. Their track record is horrendous and spareparts are extremely hard to come by of there is an issue. Also the batteries are still made by BYD and those are the main culprit for the battery issues in previous models.

5. zhere

zhere Newbie

Reputations:
    Unfortunately it is the 2017 model with 7820HK and GTX 1080 it only has 512GB ssd i am hesitate on pulling the plug. It is really tempting since right now the 1060 version is still around 1800-2000 range,

6. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Dont buy it, seriously. They sold less than 800 units in the first year only. A lot of users have them failing on them and needed multiple repairs for the battery swelling up in a short time span. I would steer clear from it with a wide circle and dont even look at it. Also you can get faster laptops from others brands that do have proper after sales service support.

7. zhere

zhere Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you for advice im gonna let this one go. The general response seems to be that this is a bad buy due to the problematic design. Would be a terrible buy since it would be out of warranty. I will probably wait for something better to go on sale.

8. slimjim8201

slimjim8201 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Mine was awesome until the battery bloated. The second battery eventually bloated also. That was after adding liquid metal. The second bloat killed large sections of the keyboard.

Now it’s a desktop only machine with no battery installed. Since the machine used to pull more power than the power supply could support, it would occasionally drain the battery slightly. Without the battery installed, I’ve had a fair number of system lock ups due to what I can only assume is power delivery. I’ve massively under volted both the cpu and GPU and it runs really well now. Performance is right in between a laptop non maxq 1080 and a 1089 maxq. Temps are out at 72 degrees.

I run an external gsync 120 hz monitor and capping in game frame rates to around 115 helps a lot as well.

Fearful of all laptops now after the battery issues...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. zhere

zhere Newbie

Reputations:
    Yea the battery issue and power draw problem are some of the most problem with these laptops. The price seems really tempting at nearly half the price of what they originally were. I guess there are just more problems with these machines to buy one. Too bad i really like the design and aesthetic of these machines guess cant spend all the money on looks alone.