Razer Blade Pro 17" GTX 1080 GPU/7820K CPU 2017 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Razer' started by shoespc, Apr 13, 2017.

1. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    They didn't sell it like other models ecaus it's because that was expensive unit and I don't think they produced also a lot, from their financial report I'm guessing you look from that, that was published in 2017 and pro gtx was introduced in late 2016. And keep in mind there was no maxq design at that time as usual they tried to fit full fat gtx1080 in such cassis, which are also rarely at that time, I believe only gigabyte had similar form factor unit, in ugly design. I remember comparing the performance with blade 1070maxq even cpu, 8750H performs better gpu performance is still bad, so no way 1060 can have better value, unless you're talking about 1k 1060 laptop. Blade pro is too big for me but if I'm on this category market, 1200 bucks is cheap, I think touch screen 4K gsync screen a lone already covered it.

2. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    No latest blade pro is overall better. But as I mentioned above I don't like personally keyboard placement that similar with other blade, that pro was keyboard was one of my favorite keyboard together with the trackpad, tried that at ifa Berlin. Lack of g sync is also downside but now the price is a lot cheaper than 2017 rmsp.

3. slimjim8201

slimjim8201 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It can’t be stated enough how ****ty the 4K screen is for gaming on the RBP 1080. Input lag is horrendous and pixel response is almost as bad. I can take the 60hz just fine but the panel is just plain slow.

It looks amazing in windows for productivity tasks, but it sucks for any fast paced games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yes you’re right, it’s similar with MBP16, laptops screen with great color accuracy are mostly bad on response time. However for shooting or competitive I wouldn’t use such panel personally, most open world titles that doesn’t need 200fps would look gorgeous with that 4K g sync, I rather play with g sync 4K 60fps Assasin Creed than 1080p blurry 144hz.

5. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    As of this time simply an unknown but they keep following the same patterns.

As of know the first batch of cases are being mentioned on reddit regarding issues with the Blade 15 2018 It is the same issues as all previous models. The dreaded sudden battery bloat. You would think they would switch manufacturers after 4 or 5 generations of Blade laptops with the same issues. But they dont. The 17 has the same ****ty batteries.

The Blade 17 2019 is the least likely to encounter this issue because it handles heat a tad better. But it is not just heat. It is also overall battery quality itself.

6. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    They repurposed the chassis for a 1060 version as well. They definitely tried.

The 1080 was a MaxQ also (it was lower clocked) and it was the launch of MaxQ. Too expensive? All Blades are expensive I think that is not a factor. People pay money for good products.

For 1400~1500 euro you can buy a Mag15 from XMG in germany. So up to 300 euro extra you get a base 2020 laptop with a 6core CPU.

7. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Nope it wasn’t a maxq it’s full fat gtx1080 with anything downclocked, yes kind of Maxq, but back then no one know maxq architecture maybe nvidia already, 1060 was I think made for cheaper options from pro for gamers with its 120Hz FHD screen. Razer just tried to acrobat by putting all on that cassis on 1080 4K model, pretty similar with nowaday manufactures who tried to shrink down cassis.
    Mag15 is seemly good and popular but xmg I never like their design and reputation here, prefer spending on a MacBook or stealth because the familiarity to me...which I just did:D Stealth was off 500 bucks so no brain to me since was on market and just sold my old 2016 one.

8. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Geforce 1080MaxQ's where a thing, Alienware had them too in the AW15R3 and Asus in the Zephyrus.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-1080-Max-Q-GPU-Benchmarks-and-Specs.224730.0.html

Razer just never honestly specified what they did with the 1080GTX in the Blade Pro 17. Probably they didnt get the Nvidia crtification regarding noise levels. THe noise levels of the Blade 17 2017 are way above the levels needed for MaxQ certification while the clockspeeds are just that of MaxQ levels.

This is a direct quote from notebookcheck regarding the 1080 performance in the Blade Pro 17 2017

"It thus surprised us even more that the Blade Pro falls behind other GTX 1080 laptops in the GPU benchmarks, sometimes by a margin of 10-20% – for no obvious reason. The overall performance tends to come in at the level of the GTX 1080 Max-Q, which hardly achieves better results than the substantially cheaper GTX 1070."It thus surprised us even more that the Blade Pro falls behind other GTX 1080 laptops in the GPU benchmarks, sometimes by a margin of 10-20% – for no obvious reason. The overall performance tends to come in at the level of the GTX 1080 Max-Q, which hardly achieves better results than the substantially cheaper GTX 1070.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
  9. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I mentioned severally there’s no maxq design at that time maxq was firstly announced mid 2017 I believe, both models pro late 2016 and 2017 was earlier, so there are no maxq standardization since it wasn’t born yet.

10. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The Blade 17 2017 was announced the 24th of April 2017. Just a month before and runs at the same speeds as the MaxQ 1080s and performs as such. So what does it matter if it has the tag MaxQ or not? I performed a solid 10~20% lower than any 1080GTX laptop at the time just like other MaxQ machines did.

I really dont get your point and why you always have to defend Razer. So many people pointed out so many of their flaws which cannot be rectified by us consumers. It isnt small stuff like bad thermal paste jobs or a crappy wifi card. But major design flaws.