Razer Blade Pro 17" GTX 1080 GPU/7820K CPU 2017 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Razer' started by shoespc, Apr 13, 2017.

1. AllPowerfulArcadia

AllPowerfulArcadia Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hmmm that’s weird, we have the same machine, here’s my temps while playing anthem for 2 hours on my “1080 max-q” setting on the blade:

[​IMG]

Now when I switch to my “faster” gpu voltage curve the temps do spike up abit:

[​IMG]

These machines really can’t be pushed much further “longevity wise” I will be keeping mine on my 1600mhz/775mv curve to keep the pch at 71c as heat is the killer of batteries (swelling) and pc components.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
  2. slimjim8201

slimjim8201 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Perhaps there is a bad sensor or something. I've left the machine idling for 12 hours now. Average CPU: 56C, average GPU: 57C, average PCH: 64.4C

Why in the world would the PCH be ~ 8 degrees warmer than the CPU/GPU. The offset is somewhat calming though as the same offset exists while in game (8-10 deg)

3. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    Are you sure the thermal pads are making contact with the bottom case?

4. slimjim8201

Reputations:
    I just removed the battery this morning and I think the bulge had deflected the back panel just enough to lift the pads. In fact, the pads were diagonal so I'm guessing that they had slid down and away along the panel. After re-seating the pads and buttoning the machine back up sans-battery, the PCH temp is now slightly less than the GPU. Frustrating.

I think I'm going to skip putting a battery back in the unit. 5 minutes of interweb research shows that Li-ion batteries don't do so well when over 45-50C and clearly the design of the RBP is not able to hit the mark. I don't feel like I'm pushing the machine dramatically, either, as I'm using the balanced CPU mode and a custom voltage curve in afterburner. CPU and GPU temps are really quite good at this point with LM TIM. That said, the armrest is still what I would call "very warm" right now without the battery in place. Don't think it is worth it to continually soak a battery in that environment. The uni body chassis conducts so much heat that I think it is a losing battle.

5. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    I would never buy another razer laptop again, I’ve babied my RBP and temps have never exceeded 80 degrees, routinely run in the upper 60s full load, and my battery is acting up. I’m under warranty but I doubt anything razer does will be a permanent fix. Best to just sell and find something else that isn’t poorly designed. My goal is to offload a bunch of computers and hold cash until icelake arrives later this year and jump on an Alienware Area 51-M. Razer was a costly mistake that I will not be repeating again, no matter how attractive the chassis is.

Papusan likes this.
  6. slimjim8201

Reputations:
    This x1000.

I want to love this laptop, I really do. There is just no reason to think that Razer will ever design a good laptop given the abysmal track record.

I've also been looking at the A5-M. I would not be happy about the weight and the dual power supplies, but Jesus. Full power desktop CPU and enough cooling vents to actually evacuate heat. May be a winner.

7. AllPowerfulArcadia

AllPowerfulArcadia Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just reading that your having issues with your blade pro which runs ALOT cooler than ours is discouraging me from messing with mine any further, the warranty on mine is until April this year and I feel the more I use it even while I have tweaked it to the best of my abilities to keep the temps under control, I’m afraid of the battery swelling due to the thermal design. I recently picked up a lightly used Aorus X5 v7 with very similar specs and once I’m done testing it out I might just put my blade pro up for sale :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    Single 330W PSU is enough to run that beast, I have quite a few leftover from my M18x systems. It also weighs about 3lbs less than my M18x, I really do think it’s going to be a winner

9. slimjim8201

Reputations:
    It has dual DC inputs around back. Will they have a single PSU with a split cable?

10. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    Not necessary, just hook in one 330W to one jack and in the back and it works just fine. I’m sure when somebody cracks the firmware we’ll be able to run 2 x 330W PSU to extract every last bit of power from those chips