Razer Blade Pro 17" GTX 1080 GPU/7820K CPU 2017 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Razer' started by shoespc, Apr 13, 2017.

1. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I’ve apparently good silicon lottery, almost reach 1080mq:)
    https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/27184677
    Btw default timespy is not 1080p I believe it’s 1440p dx12. Firestrike is 1080p dx11.
    Looking for a new toy:D, i wanted to give 1300 but unfortunately I’ve to move to other country so it’ll be too much things I’ve to bring

2. AllPowerfulArcadia

AllPowerfulArcadia Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Lol sorry guys, I’m leaning more towards keeping it. Not gonna lie though, this machine sure does run hot during regular use (I haven’t even played any games on it yet)...I have about a 9-10 degree variance between core 0 and core 3 in throttlestop benchmark. I’m assuming I’ll definitely need to repaste. Other than liquid metal (not sure if it’s recommended on this machine) what’s the next best thing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hmscott likes this.
  3. slimjim8201

slimjim8201 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Go LM. The machine body will be hot no matter what repaste job you choose. Might as well do the best.

AllPowerfulArcadia likes this.
  4. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Is the battery full charged (like 90ish% not charging markt). I don’t have Pro model but while charging Blade cnc aluminum unibody usually hotter because it transfers heat faster than other cassis material, after windows show no charging mark, usually it’s less hot. I tried though both your 4K model in gamescom here, it’s basically all days usage for visitors there, I play a bit Overwatch and it was indeed warm but not too hot to touch, maybe it was too short, but considering there was line before and after me it should be used quite long at that day.

5. slimjim8201

Reputations:
    Charging/discharging will certainly cause heat to build up around the battery. But this will pale in comparison to the heat from the vapor chamber area above the keyboard. The unibody chassis will conduct that heat rapidly to the rest of the machine.

Before a repaste, my keyboard was uncomfortably hot under load. Afterwards, warm but not bad for your hand resting on a chunk of aluminum.

6. AllPowerfulArcadia

Reputations:
    The machine wasn't even plugged in, I was just having it on my lap while browsing some streams and reddit threads. I went ahead and ordered Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut last night, I should have it today. I'll report on my machines results when I finish. Is it important I find some foam barriers/electrical tape to stop the liquid metal from leaking onto the motherboard?

7. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Idk much about LM but yes they add it for avoiding the leak, you can ask @Raidriar further he did that on Pro FHD. Yes I think playing on battery on Pro 4K may make the machine hot since it always use dgpu unlike other Blade with optimus technology, like playing games on your phone the cassis would be hot, the temperature difference may because uneven thermal paste, I would try first repasting with better compound though before go to LM personally.

8. slimjim8201

Reputations:
    Problem/question:

I was interested in undervolting my CPU this morning and dropped voltage down by 50mV. Not sure exactly when it happened, I suspect it was during an OCCT stress test, but the processor is now locked to 800Mhz. Cannot get it to budge. I've downloaded Throttlestop and tried to disable BD PROCHOT to no avail. Reinstalled Synapse 2 just now and same thing. Looking for some next step advice...

9. AllPowerfulArcadia

Reputations:
    Hmm weird, Have you done a full power cycle on the machine yet? (shutdown-disconnect battery - press and hold power button for 15 sec) You might need to reset/disconnect cmos I believe.

10. slimjim8201

Reputations:
    Problem resolved. I created a new thread with this question yesterday and forgot to close out both that and this here.

Turns out, I managed to reduce the Core IccMax to 1A (down from 128A) in XTU. Not sure how, really. It's not something I've ever messed around with but I XTU does behave oddly with the RZperformance integration. Regardless, CPU now throttles back up to whatever clock speed I want instead of 800MHz and pulls more than 3-4Watts max. I was convinced that I had blown out some array of sensors on the motherboard and was going to have to endure another 2-3 months of not having the laptop. Yikes.

hmscott and AllPowerfulArcadia like this.