Razer Blade Pro 17" GTX 1080 GPU/7820K CPU 2017 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Razer' started by shoespc, Apr 13, 2017.

1. djcgeez2189

djcgeez2189 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    anyone have a tear down video? i ordered my Razer blade 17 today returned the new 15 to get the 17 pro since there is no official update with new cards I needed more power as the 1070max Q while decent optimus is unbearable and makes me want to give myself a concussion.

I know you have to take the entire motherboard out in order to repaste but is it difficult surprisingly there are 0 videos about this on youtube.

2. darkloki

darkloki Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'm researching that right now as I will do a repaste on mine as well. I'm currently here I'll let you know of any updates as I get them:

https://imgur.com/a/FgNxM

3. djcgeez2189

Reputations:

4. djcgeez2189

Reputations:
    Awesome thank you !!!, BTW how laong have you had it? i saw a video about a guy saying the system is not able to power itself proper and the battery will drain while gaming even when its plugged in... Have you had this issue and how bad is it>?

5. darkloki

darkloki Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I just got my system, I'm kind of indulging severely right now, the Razer 15 was my first Razer and I've really liked my 1060 version for on the go purposes. I have had many laptops and this is by far my favorite one.

I liked it enough I decided that instead of using it as my main for everything I would just get the Blade Pro for the larger disk space. Hopefully if I balance my usage between these two systems I won't pop them as it seems like the Pro is very susceptible to breaking.

6. slimjim8201

slimjim8201 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I agree that Optimus is not ideal, but the 1080 in the RBP is only ~10% faster than the 1070 MQ in the RB15.

Vistar Shook likes this.
  7. slimjim8201

Reputations:
    I saw that video as well. My experience is as follows:

I used the machine hot and heavy for well over a year. Long sessions of PUBG, Rocket League, and a ton of intense computational efforts for work (CFD). This thing was under full load for probably 30-40% of each day during that period. The majority of the time, I had the battery removed (it bulged after a few months). Never once did the thing encounter a power issue until the whole machine refused to turn on a few weeks ago. Can't comment on what happened there, but I can say that the machine didn't seem to have an issue without the battery present.

I was running a moderate CPU undervolt but that only saved about 10watts under max load. The GPU would consistently run around 145-150W under full load. I had that running a slightly different voltage curve through Afterburner that prevented it from going beyond 1800Mhz.

I do not recall the battery ever draining while under load and plugged in. Perhaps we'll find out more once HID has diagnosed my unit.

8. darkloki

darkloki Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    So I only ended up getting it because I enjoy the Razer Product more then I originally thought I would and would like to play with the Mechanical Keyboard and also because I got the Razer 15 for it's size and went with the cooler running one and perhaps the one that is more "Portable". Hopefully having the setup of Razer Blade 15 for portable and 17 Pro for at home purposes will work out. I have multiple homes so I travel quite a bit but I stay at the homes for several months, so it's very ideal to have this type of a setup as compared to moving a desktop around.

9. slimjim8201

Reputations:
    Theoretically, the USB-C port on the RBP supports DisplayPort so you should be able to hook it up to a G-Sync-equipped external monitor. The 4K monitor on the RBP looked nice but it is trash for games.

10. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    Again, precautionary warning to anybody that owns Razer laptops in general: Razer leaves them massively undercooled from the factory. You will NEED to open it up and do some light mods to improve thermals and prevent failure down the road. Running them at high temperatures (which I consider anything above 80 to be too high), will cause board flex and/or shorten lifespan of VRMs/MOSFETs on the board. Some things to note about factory Razer Blades/RBPs:

1. They still use trash thermal paste. Use phobya nanogrease extreme if you want conventional nonconductive paste, Liquid Ultra/Conductonaut if you want ultimate cooling performance (I'm partial to liquid ultra, it spreads much, much easier)

2. The thermal pads they use on the GPU memory is half assed, only covering HALF of the memory chip...wtf right? Also seems to be made of low quality. I have ordered Gelid thermal pads 1.5mm thick, I'm sure they will improve thermal performance. It's inexcusable how razer designed a heatsink to cover HALF of the memory chips!

3. PCH is completely uncooled. There are no thermal pads on it, or thermal pads on any of the surrounding power phases. Solution? You guessed it, thermal pads! Thankfully since the bottom cover is metal, you can use thermal pads and stack them until they make contact with the bottom plate for some passive cooling. It's not ideal (fan cooling would have been better), but it's definitely better than nothing.

4. Some reports of SSDs not coming with thermal pads. Stock factory thermal pads are also garbage. Change out with higher quality pads, make sure they stack to reach bottom plate.

5. UNDERVOLT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Seriously, just do it. Reduce your stress on your power delivery components. I used XTU to drop my 7700HQ down by 160mV, the intel 630 GPU by 170 mV, and the GTX 1060 will run 1866mhz at 0.87V. System is much, much happier this way. Run cooler, reduce power load, reduce power consumption. Results will vary based on your silicon quality, I think I got better than average chips in mine. Total power draw while gaming on ARK/Metro 2033 is about 105-115W, which is the golden zone for this power supply (110w/165w * 100 = 66.6% load, which is typically in the most efficient zone of a power supply)

This is all I can think of right now since I disassembled my RBP. I hope to have a long service life with this machine, but I also paid only 50$ out of pocket for it, so I wouldn't be too bummed. I couldn't fathom paying the 2300$ they originally charged for this computer.