Razer Blade Pro 17" GTX 1080 GPU/7820K CPU 2017 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Razer' started by shoespc, Apr 13, 2017.

1. slimjim8201

slimjim8201 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    A repaste would certainly lower temps, but I don't think it would increase performance.

The GPU clearly has a 145-150W power limit and can reach that power level easily without overheating. I've got my voltage curve adjusted so that it sips power and won't go beyond ~1800MHz because anything north of that bumps into the power ceiling.

The CPU is also power limited but that limit occurs about the same time as thermal throttling. It's here that I think a repaste could help a bit. Under gaming loads, the CPU never goes over 82-83C, but the total power draw also isn't near the 45W chip limit. Non-optimized tasks like games rarely pull more than 20-25 watts. With a repaste, I could jack up the overclock so that I see more like 35-40 watts in-game and still skirt under bad temps. Honestly, I don't think there is much benefit to this. With a power capped GTX1080, the CPU is DEFINITELY not a bottleneck in this machine. I've run intense FEA simulations while also running benchmarks/PUBG and it has no impact on frame rates.

mason2smart and Vistar Shook like this.
  2. Thrawn

Thrawn Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Mostly I would be using it for work,software development, email, MS Office, web browsing, Twitch/YouTube, and playing Blizzard games. I play a lot of Overwatch, and some D3/WOW. I don't think I will heat this thing up much, and that 15% that its shy of a full 1080 wont mean much to me. I have a 1950x watercooled Threadripper box w/1080TI Hybrid that I do most of my heavier gaming on anyway. I think I'm going to pick one up, and if it gives me any headaches Ill exchange or refund it.

3. mason2smart

mason2smart Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Had an issue once where my orochi when I connected it to my blade pro 2013 killed all i/o on the system and it was 100% unrecoverable even after multiple reboots.
    My mamba never worked right with my blade pro 2013.
    My blade pro 2013 had similar issues with the keyboard except it would repeat keys indefinitely until a conflicting key was pressed. Was a serious issue with function keys like control, caps, shift, escape, alt, etc. -- Razer was, for some reason, unable to reproduce this issue: (repeating r key and dead SBUI video: https://1drv.ms/v/s!AuMOrXc4ORHpkKlL_mVFHDvH7YmiiQ)

Seems as though similar issues plague Razer products 4 years later...

hmscott and Vistar Shook like this.
  4. rlucho

rlucho Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi, let's see if someone can help me sort this out...:

I have a Razer Blade Pro 7820hk, Win 10 Pro (1709), 512gb ssd. I'm triying to activate the gaming mode on Synapse, just to try temps with the fans sets on high, but when i select gaming mode or Balance mode on High, the fans just stay the same... My main question is, should the fans start running inmediatedly on high just by selecting High on synapse? Or will they start only under load?

NOTE: I have the process RazerPerformance DISABLED (i have CPU undervolted so i dont know if that process will mess Throttlestop), so i dont know if that process have something to do with it... lights on keybord and everything else works fine.

Thanks in advance!