Razer Blade Pro 17" GTX 1080 GPU/7820K CPU 2017 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Razer' started by shoespc, Apr 13, 2017.

1. phila_delphia

phila_delphia Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    As the Watt/Mhz curve is degressive, you could try to lower the values some more: Like I wrote above: My actual Curve is "fixed" at 1798 @ 875. You`ll save most in scenes that are not too demanding, as the GPU would clock up under normal conditions then. BR phila

Unbenannt.PNG

Vistar Shook likes this.
  2. PRIMEcai

PRIMEcai Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Which program do you use to overclock?

3. slimjim8201

slimjim8201 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    MSI Afterburner

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. PRIMEcai

Reputations:
    Aren't most options grayed out?

5. slimjim8201

Reputations:
    Look back at @phila_delphia and his recent posts. Controlling the voltage vs clock curve allows for over clocking and undervolting at the same time. I'll post up a picture of my current curve later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

phila_delphia likes this.
  6. PRIMEcai

Reputations:
    So I started playing Ghost Recon Wildlands. I think the game is supposed to run at just below 60 fps maxed out on the Razer Blade Pro.
    But while playing I noticed that I had dips to 25-30 fps and also stuttering. I've concluded that it may either be GPU throttling (gpu is at low 80s C temp) or power throttling.

Anyone else experience this problem and how do i resolve it?

7. phila_delphia

phila_delphia Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi there! Try the following: Run GRW in windowed mode, and have the task manager with the CPU Usage open. My guess is: After some time in game you will see CPU throtteling.

I had this with my (Aorus) notebook, due to the power limit. The GPU used all of the Power so the CPU would downclock to base 2.6 Ghz, which resulted in throtteling.

If this is the case you will have to undervolt the GPU via Afterburner -> http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...s-owners-lounge.795090/page-290#post-10356883

Best reagards

phila

Vistar Shook likes this.
  8. slimjim8201

Reputations:
    Has anyone figured out the science behind Synapse and XTU? It appears that the two programs are integrated at the core multiplier level, but the integration is woefully inconsistent. For example, when monitoring the multipliers in XTU and simply adjusting the power mode back and forth from "balanced" to "performance", the resultant values are almost always different. Naturally, this has a massive impact on how the CPU performs, and ultimately how much power it will draw. When undervolting the CPU, there is a delicate balance that one must find to establish a stable voltage. Switching back and forth between the modes introduces huge variance in core clock speeds which basically **** up the foundation on which one must base their undervolting. I believe this is the cause of quite a few random BSODs.

I'm actually a fan of the XTU/Synapse concept, but the lack of consistency is a major pain in the ass. Perhaps there are more variables in play, but I doubt it. Why one application of performance mode might differ from another is baffling to me. I may get 43x for 1, 2, 3, and 4 active cores one time, and then 43, 43, 39, 35 another. The next time it might be 43, 39, 39, 39. Most times, the 4 active core multiplier is actually HIGHER in balanced mode than performance mode (36x vs. 35x).

Of course, not much of this matters in a CPU stress test as the chip can barely overclock before hitting the 45W power limit, but in the real world, during games and potential undervolting, having the ability to ramp up the CPU can increase performance immensely and it's quite handy.

Rambling a bit at this point, but I'd like to see if others share a similar experience.

Vistar Shook likes this.
  9. flazoon

flazoon Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I suspect it to be a refresh issue in XTU as restarting it will always display the expected values set in synapse (at least in my case). Or maybe there's some race condition between XTU and synapse in setting/reading the values for all 4 cores. Restarting XTU might just cause a consistent read/apply of all values.
    Just guessing.

Vistar Shook likes this.
  10. slimjim8201

Reputations:
    XTU restart issue it was. Balanced profile upon restart shows 39x, 37x, 36x, 35x and performance shows all 43x. I've been doing more testing recently and depending on the application, running the performance mode can increase overall FPS by about 10%. This bears out in Firestrike and Firestrike Ultra as well. Graphics scores go up ever so slightly while physics scores are much more improved. For most titles at 3440x1440, FPS is well above 60, and closer to 100-120 on the balanced profile, allowing for less power draw and slightly relaxed fan operation.

Regarding power-related crashes, I believe that I've bumped into two of them. The first is simply when the machine draws too much power. CPU turbo max runs up to 60W, GPU is seeing spikes into the 150-160 range, and that leaves precious little headroom for the rest of the system components. The second is running too much voltage offset. This is more my fault for not fully interpreting what Synapse was asking XTU to do. Sometimes XTU would report 35x for the 4 core multiplier when it was actually 43x, which is a huge difference.

I feel that I've gained confidence in the machine to the point where I'm happy. It runs really hot and I don't enjoy gaming on the built-in keyboard for this reason, but for general productivity and "normal work" on the road, the keyboard is quite nice. When I'm home, I use an external monitor and a Blackwidow V2 with the machine about 4 feet away which helps keep noise down. Not sure how much power overhead I gain from disabling the 4K touchscreen, but I'm sure it is significant.

Regarding the panel, the screen itself isn't that fun to use while gaming. I find 17.3" to be too small and I get a sense of ghosting in fast scenes. I'm spoiled by my 34" 21:9 external. The 4K resolution and color saturation (if a bit overdone) is quite nice, but the screen is mediocre for gaming.

PRIMEcai likes this.