Razer Blade Pro 17 2080 Max Q Vbios

Discussion in 'Razer' started by Hackintoshihope, Jul 19, 2019.

1. seanwee

seanwee Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I did more testing with the 190w vbios and it seems like power efficiency fell off a cliff.

30-50% more power draw (actual) and more heat for 5-8% more performance doesn't seem right. That would put efficiency on par or lower than desktop chips. Somethings not right.

2. Hackintoshihope

Hackintoshihope AlienMeetsApple

Reputations:
    We are throwing efficiency out the window with the higher memory clocks and higher sustained power consumption. But I still believe the perceived 190W draw is not correct as I’m seeming only about a 20-30% increase in power. Along the lines of 120W to 130W. It’s the price we pay I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. seanwee

seanwee Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The thing is, that shouldn't be happening. 130w should still do better in terms of efficiency than 150w chips.

40w more power draw for 5-8% just doesn't make sense. That would mean nearly all the increase in power draw simply went into generating heat.

4. Hackintoshihope

Reputations:
    That makes sense but could it be that that has something to do with our poor vrm design on these Max Q laptops? Or just something wrong with the vbios and not configured correctly for our machines?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. seanwee

seanwee Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Vrms can be ruled out. The A51M will still draw more power per phase than my GS75 even if I could make it draw 150w. And the mosfets used on both are the same.

So unless manufacturers go and extra step to cap power draw on a hardware level, there shouldn't be any problems hardware wise.

For now I think there's something wrong on the software side. Something to do with the gpus identifying as Max-q regardless of what vbios is flashed.

6. seanwee

seanwee Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    @Hackintoshihope can you try limiting the cpu to 35w or less to see if it allows the gpu to boost higher with the 190w vbios?

I just ordered a power meter so I can't accurately assess at the moment whether insufficient power from the adapter is to blame.

7. Hackintoshihope

Reputations:
    Not 100% sure how I would do that? I am assuming I would need to tweak my bios to heavily limit it? The tweak i used is in my signature. "TDP MOD"

8. seanwee

seanwee Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You'd need to revert the tdp mod first. Then change the turbo boost short power max and turbo boost long power max to 35w in throttlestop.

9. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    That is not really how it works. You can bet on it that the A51M mosfets are cooled better than in the GS75 and even then they arent cooled enough in the A51M. That is one of the reasons why they pooped so often.

10. seanwee

seanwee Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The cooling solution on the A51M is a passive aluminium heatsink. The GS75 has a dedicated heatpipe connecting the mosfets to the heatsinks.

I also read from one user that the thermal pads of the A51M were making poor contact with the passive heatsink anyways so the heat wasn't even being transferred well in the first place.