Razer Blade Pro 17 2080 Max Q Vbios

Discussion in 'Razer' started by Hackintoshihope, Jul 19, 2019.

1. seanwee

seanwee Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Have you overclocked your ram?

2. Hackintoshihope

Hackintoshihope AlienMeetsApple

Reputations:
    No just the stock that came with the blade. But I’m thinking that he was using stock ram as well? Or maybe I didn’t catch that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. stranula

stranula Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Mine is the stock ram, if I decide to keep this laptop I'll be putting my 64gb in it, so not going to work on optimizing ram right now. All cores boost to 4.0GHz and hold steady without temp issues on my blade.

The only real mod I made to the clocks is to lower the base clock to 1.6GHz. The TDP mods are the ones recommended in the "Take full control of your Razer without PL...." thread

4. seanwee

seanwee Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    @Hackintoshihope what temps are you getting on your blade? What apps are running in the background?

5. stranula

Reputations:
    I tested out a 190W vBIOS this morning just to see how it would go. Flashed fine, no Thunderbolt or mDP output. Definitely runs up to 190W, definitely increased GPU temps. Didn't see any performance gains, but haven't taken the time yet to try to mess with the performance curve to keep temps and power down, but get additional performance. I actually tested several 190W vBIOS, this is the only one I could get to work.
    *UPDATE*
    After uninstalling with DDU and fresh driver install, mDP and HDMI work, still no thunderbolt out. To keep the power lower, I changed the core clock curve to 1600MHz @ 725mV. Runs @ ~140W, but performance is almost identical to the 90W vBIOS.
    *Edit*
    Image removed

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
    seanwee and Hackintoshihope like this.
  6. Hackintoshihope

Reputations:
    Could you share the vbios? I'd love to tinker with it ;)

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
  7. stranula

Reputations:
    Because this has a high potential to damage someone's machine, I've PM'd you a link. What I ultimately concluded is that we are being limited by Voltage. There must be something deeper than just the vBIOS. Whether on the 80W, 90/100W, or 190W, when I run Firestrike, it generally will run between 700-800mV, and to get the full power of the 190W, we would need to get higher than that.

Hackintoshihope likes this.
  8. Hackintoshihope

Reputations:
    Black out the vbios version in the screenshot to further protect users. I found it with that information.

9. seanwee

seanwee Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Actually, when running non maxq vbioses, the gpu goes into safe mode which restricts voltage to 0.7v and clocks to 1350mhz.

10. Hackintoshihope

Reputations:
    Possibly however I think what these vbios (the ones that work) are doing are allowing the card to pull the most amount of power possible for the machine, then it triggers safe mode. However what the vbios does allow is the memory clock runs higher and its allowing me to get 23,500 GPU score. You should try it and see if it improves your score to the 23,500 level.