Razer Blade Pro 17" (1080 GPU/late 2016) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Razer' started by reloader-1, Oct 20, 2016.

1. reloader-1

reloader-1 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    In an effort to get more quality and relevant discussion on the Razer board, I've asked the mods to sticky the latest gen products to the top and unsticky the rest.

Please use this thread to discuss the latest Razer Blade Pro 17" (1080 GPU/late 2016).

Tech Spec:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
  2. reloader-1

reloader-1 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    mason2smart likes this.
  3. reloader-1

reloader-1 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
  4. darkloki

darkloki Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'm okay and happy with everything on this system except for that Mirror of a Display he's got on it. During the release video you could see his face on that monitor perfectly because the glare was so god awful on it, with that indoor stage lighting.

I'm lost and confused on why he would discuss the Razer Blade, and state "We listened to the community and porvided them with a Matte Screen" But because we're so smart when we release are pro system with top of the line everything, we don't want to listen to the community here and just offer an awful screen with a glare.... I mean wtf? And on top of that it's not like you're extremely limited on the number of manufacturers for a 17.3 inch screen..... The past Razer Blade Pros didn't have this Glare Touchscreen, and I don't recall any of the owners saying "Oh I really want a touchscren" It was just give us a beefier GPU (Thank You for the 1080, btw) ... Touchscreen desktops haven't gone anywhere and no one has been asking for it. If this truly is a desktop replacement like Ming has been lamenting about for the whole video, why are you bringing in touchscreen? No one else is doing that...

PS: Love how the audience all went silent or gasped when he announced the price tag on the system, and Ming tried to recover that awkward moment by saying something about being breathless or speechless. I personally found that to be pretty comical.:D

Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
    mason2smart likes this.
  5. mattcube64

mattcube64 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    My buddy had last year's 970M 3GB 14" and really liked it; but ultimately switched it out for a Surface because there wasn't enough power there to compensate for the ****ty battery life and loud fans. He currently has a 1080p 1060 14" on order, and it should be here in a week or so. I have a 15" rMBP and am excited for Apple's announcement next week, and will probably stick with that.

With all that said, we are both VERY impressed with this machine. Seriously, Razer knocked it out of the f-ing park, IMO.

I mean - it's go EVERYTHING you could want in a portable, high-end gaming machine.

Best GPU
    Top-tier CPU
    Double the typical RAM amount
    plenty of I/O, including HDMI and SD
    a big, awesome trackpad and a mechanical keyboard that doesn't look ridiculous
    4K/IPS/G-Sync
    RAID 0 NVMe SSDs
    THIN & (relatively) LIGHT
    Custom cooling

Really, IMO, the only negatives I see for this kind of machine are that damn stupid logo on the lid, the glossy screen, and I don't care for the trackpad placement.

I'll never get one, because I can't really handle a 7lb, 17" monster - and I'm sure the battery life will be sub 4hrs even when not gaming. But if you were looking at big, bulky, top end Aurous, Clevo, Sager, Alienware, MSI machines... if you have the $$$, the razer is definitely the best of the lot.

mason2smart likes this.
  6. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 thwink

Reputations:
    my reaction when the cpu is 6700HQ

[​IMG]

at least use the 6820HK if you're going to make a "gaming" laptop

@Mr. Fox @Phoenix @Papusan

7. ryzeki

ryzeki Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    Honestly, I am not entirely sure the cooling is up to par for the 1080. That thing gets insanely hot. It runs near throttling temps on far better cooling systems. Also the CPU is weak for that GPU, but should be enough for 60fps at least.

Obviously the main attraction is the thin/light frame anyways. I just hope it is not hot enough to cause a subpar experience.

But personally, Razer is the weakest of the 17 inch "monsters" by virtue of most likely being the worst performance. When you are looking at huge laptops with the 1080, you look for power, not thin an light. I bet a 1070 would have been a much better choice for such a machine.

That, and the competition is cheaper (just not thin hahahah).

8. darkloki

darkloki Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It just dawned on me that I could buy a lower end model of a Razer Blade, get the Core and a Desktop1080 with more future upgrade possibilities and still come under the cost of a RazeBlade Pro? Is that accurate?

9. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 thwink

Reputations:

with the razer blade 1080 still having the garbage 6700HQ, I don't see why you wouldn't do that

use the saved money to get a nice monitor while you're at it

Midas Touch, iunlock and darkloki like this.
  10. darkloki

darkloki Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Oh because I absolutely love that mechanical keyboard and am willing to pay an additional $1000 for that thing because they spent millions upon millions to design and build it.

~Said absolutely no one....