1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Razer Blade Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Razer' started by johnnobts, Feb 3, 2012.

1. zerowind

zerowind Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Good stuff! Thanks for the review Kage. One thing I haven't heard much about is the BIOS on this machine. Do you know if it allows you to permanently change your boot device (specifically from the HDD to the Msata) Or is it a totally custom, untweakable Razer BIOS..?

If I get this, I plan to get a larger msata drive and install the OS to that
    rather than use it as just cache.

2. Kageromero

Kageromero Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yeah you can change your boot device just fine, even with the drives being combined atm you can still see both of them and choose, so if you put in your large drive and don't use them in a hybrid combination there would be no problem using it as your boot drive I imagine

3. johnnobts

johnnobts Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Fingerprint magnet is right, just like my old model. Speakers are definitely better, and fan noise is absolutely better (thanks razer!). don't like the FN key being moved at all. Still haven't had time for gaming, but ran Dirt 3 at ultra settings, got avg. 30fps. Couldn't even break 11 fps with the original at those settings. cool.

4. Kageromero

Reputations:
    As for the fingerprint magnet, I just wash my hands before every use if possible, and without greesy hands, I don't seem to fingerprint it, and if I do, the cloth cleans it pretty easily

5. zerowind

zerowind Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Good to know it's a standard BIOS. One more point in favor of getting one. Yeah, I'm finding with my Sager's soft touch coating, it also picks up fingerprints --especially on hot days.

The difference is the soft touch coating may not react too well if the greasy prints stays on for a while... being it's soft and not anodized or painted aluminum like the Blade.. I sometimes hover my hands over the palm rest when typing on hot days because I'm concerned the coating will start to wear off.. So I'm ok with fingerprints... But the thought of the soft coating wearing out on my Sager is one reason why I might swap it out for this one...

6. johnnobts

johnnobts Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    working on my new switchblade ui, starting from scratch, its fun stuff. anybody finds cool icons to share, or makes any, post 'em... or maybe make a separate thread for it.

7. Kageromero

Reputations:
    A thread for switchblade apps would be awesome

8. sadzebra

sadzebra Newbie

Reputations:
    I received my R2 unit last night and immediately took it apart to swap out the SSD/HDD with a 256GB mSATA and another 512GB SSD.

I am happy with 8GB so I didn't bother to remove the board to check the other side. It is highly unlikely that it would be socketed anyway given the height restriction.

Beware that there is a recovery partition that contains Windows + Drivers that you will lose if you replace the drives. I did a fresh Windows install using the included DVD and a USB drive. The end result is an installation of Windows that cannot reach the network so plan ahead and download all the drivers from Razer's site (R2 drivers were posted on release day) to one of the SSDs or a USB stick and be prepared for a night of installing drivers, apps (ninite.com), and Windows updates...

So far I really like the laptop. I only briefly tried Skyrim and Borderlands 2 and they both played fine on high (almost max) settings.

I have also noticed Wifi connection issues despite every other device in the house working perfectly with my Netgear WNDR4500 access point. Hopefully we see some updates in this area.

The Synapse software also seems a bit unstable. It has crashed on me a few times (.NET errors or just outright disappearing without any notice) and I have been left without a functional pointer device on a few occasions. I am also a bit baffled why it insists on storing my settings in "the cloud" for a mobile device and then not behaving properly without wifi.

[​IMG]

There are 12 screws but 14 apparent screw holes covered with stickers. The two front middle ones are not actually screws so don't try to remove them! I used a Torx T6 screwdriver.

[​IMG]

Here is the board with the back cover removed.

[​IMG]

This is a 7mm drive. It has rubber bumpers on the sides and there is a pad stuck on the inside bottom of the case, but it is otherwise unsecured inside the case.

Replacing with a 9.5mm SSD is possible, but it is a very tight fit and there is a tiny gap in the case when it is closed up again. I recommend using another 7mm SSD.

[​IMG]

The 64GB mSATA SSD is under these cables. The tape is easily pulled back and you can pop off the cables from one end.

[​IMG]

A close-up of the GDDR5 for the GTX660m.

[​IMG]

The Embedded Controller.

9. SpartanJet

SpartanJet Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks for the pictures of the internals. Did this void your warranty? I ask because I'd want to do the same thing its one of those little things that is stopping me from pulling the trigger. Rep for those pictures thank you.

10. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Mostly Harmless...

Reputations:
    You crazy man, voiding your warranty day 1...

@ SpartanJet - Go Spartans... my alma mater! :)