Razer Blade Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Razer' started by johnnobts, Feb 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Graam

Graam Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi everyone, I have read these forums for a couple of years now and just made an account to do this post. After debating since the 2013 version, I finally pulled the trigger on the 2015 Blade 14 (3k / 16 G Ram version). It's beautiful, feels very solidly built, loads everything faster than my bro's MBP, which is all to be expected. This is my first personal laptop, always used a desktop rig to game and a work issued laptop. The resolution isn't as much of an issue as I thought it would be, I'm finding most programs scale well. I've been playing league of legends and switched the res to 1920 and it runs flawlessly.

A few things that I did not expect (at least to the degree that they exist):

1) This thing runs HOT. Even 15 minutes of internet browsing makes it unbearable to keep it on your lap. I bought a cheep cooling pad when I bought this for good measure and now I can't imagine ever not using the cooling pad, even in my lap. Kind of defeats the purpose of the thin form factor, I'm going to be toting this cooling pad with me where ever I go. I expected serious heat for this class of laptop but wow...

2) While the keyboard and touch pad feel and respond extremely well (definitely better than Mac, as others have reported), the touch pad itself is not backlit so don't expect to use it in the dark; partly because the touch pad buttons are inexplicably TINY, and I haven't yet adjusted to their placement because of that so my thumb ends up groping for them every time I need to click. I don't know why they would make them so small, they are really small. This makes no sense to me, the pad itself has a lot of real estate.

3) It's been quiet as a mouse as far as I can tell but again I've had it on a cooling pad at all times.

Overall I love this thing. It's obviously extremely high quality hardware, run games without blinking, and the screen is beautiful. I also HATE the reflections in glossy screens so I was worried about buying this particular build but I'm finding the reflections are negligible even with natural light.

2. timesyndicate

timesyndicate Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi guy, can you guy help me if anyone of you guy own Razer Blade 14 FULL HD ver. I currently have Razer Blade 14 2013 edition, I want to upgrade to the FULL HD and I wonder if the Full HD version have extra slot for SSD like the 2013 ver.

3. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    No.. only 1 slot, 2280 M.2

4. maven1975

maven1975 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Question.

Is the Razer Blade trackpad glass or just smooth coated?

I don't want to buy it if it not glass because the black coating will look horrible after a short while. (like my other black laptops. Sony and Black MacBook)

Thanks!

5. ChrisAtsin

ChrisAtsin Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    1) It should not be getting hot when browsing the web. I am not sure what the problem is there. Check if it's constantly running in High performance or if there is some program running in the background. I am able to play the Sims 4 with it on my lap and while it gets warm, it is never hot and that is even on the High Performance spec.

2) I find them to be a good size but I guess it depends on your fingers. It is a gaming laptop however so the dedicated buttons are a must. The large area is also preferable for Windows gestures. Alienware has a backlit touchpad on their AW15 so you may want to check that out.

3) Again, never used a cooling pad and especially not when I'm not gaming. You should be seeing temps around the high 40s when browsing even with multiple tabs open.

I don't think it's glass, it seems like a different surface. Personally it still looks flawless over 2 months in but maybe a user that has had a Blade for a longer period of time can tell you how it holds up after a longer period of time.

6. LoneSyndal

LoneSyndal Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You can add constraints on how your Razer Blade unit performs using Intel XTU. I'll share a simple setting I use for on-the-go (look towards the top right). The idea is that you don't normally need the CPU power unless you're doing more heavier duty tasks. In terms of gaming, you will probably never need more than 2.2GHz. However, if you play something like an MMO of some sort where you need to load tons of data dynamically moving about and rendering over and over, you will probably want to adjust to slightly higher multipliers for 3-4 Active cores to add the 7-15FPS back. Just make sure you properly adjust TDP limits so it doesn't get too hot and also decrease voltage for anything you're NOT using.

Capture.PNG

7. ArcticMonkeys

ArcticMonkeys Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Can anyone help me out. Got an assignment to do but my battery seems to be not working. It says battery is not detected. I've tried uninstalling it via device manager and shut it down. But the moment it is turned on again, it said "battery detected but not charging" which later turned into "battery is no detected" again. Any help?

8. mojotaker

mojotaker Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Sorry to inform you, but your battery has given up the ghost. (it's dead) your only option is to send it in for repairs.

silverghost123 likes this.
  9. ArcticMonkeys

ArcticMonkeys Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Oh well. I accidentally left it on for days. My fault really, I disabled the auto-sleep. Do you know how can I get a replacement battery? I live in the UK and bought it from hidevolution about 1.5 years ago. Won't mind replacing it myself as I think the warranty expired months ago now. Also I have installed another SDD.

10. mojotaker

mojotaker Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hey man hate to be the bearer of bad news. I am in the exact same situation as you, unfortunately, you cannot get a replacement battery anywhere, trust me, others have tried and failed. The only option is to send it in. And burn another whole in your wallet.
    I paid over $2700 for my laptop, and just shy of 2 year's and have to deal with this nonsense. My situation is worse. Not only did the battery stop charging, it swoll up, and cracked the casing.
    There is no happy ending here. Cut your losses and sell that overpriced garbage before it gets worse.

I replaced mine with an msi gs60, been very happy with it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.