Razer Blade Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Razer' started by johnnobts, Feb 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Porter

Porter Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    That sounds normal, they went from a mid range 75W GPU to a 100W high end GPU, it will run hotter and have to try harder to cool. I wouldn't expect the new one to run cooler than the old one.

2. cearka

cearka Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    true, but you would expect it to be able to run equally as well as the previous model...
    under what should be a light load, I'm surprised how much the system is heating up.

3. cearka

cearka Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    weird, I just reduced my desktop resolution to 1080p and actually the heat problems went away. I guess even though its in the background, haveing the desktop at the ridiculous res adds alot of load to any game you play, regardless of the res.

4. rexdog101

rexdog101 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I have a feeling it really depends on what you had previously. Coming from the Alienware Area-51 m15x, this thing is silent, runs cooler under light load, and is probably 1,000,000 times better than that. Not surprising, but still nice when something is actually what you pay for. I paid almost the same for this as I did for that haha

5. durask

durask Newbie

Reputations:
    Yeah, send it to them yesterday - the support person told me that they will just replace it and not fix the buttons, we'll see.
    The process itself was fast and painless, so that's a plus.

6. HecticNick

HecticNick Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Does anyone know what the Microsoft store's policy is on returns? I am really tempted to just return the blade after experiencing its horrible cooling and extremely poor battery life. Its just hard for me to justify this 2600 dollar purchase that is not even enjoyable to use because it gets too damn hot.

7. IceStorm

IceStorm Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The 2014 Blade shouldn't have extremely poor battery life. Others have tested and gotten it up to just under 5 hrs.

As for cooling, it's going to get hot when gaming. Should be bearable, though. I usually use a controller and didn't find the 2014 Blade to become loud or overly hot after a half hour of playing Saints Row IV at 1920x1080. I also haven't had any issues with it in day to day use, however this is after the initial setup period. Not sure if you recall, but one of the Windows updates that the system does keeps the CPU pretty busy for an hour or two (.Net? indexing?). After that initial setup period the laptop's been as cool and quiet as the 2013 model.

The MS Store has a good return policy. If you truly feel the laptop is defective (that's what I would call overheating), then I'd either return it for a full refund or I'd swap it for a replacement. As far as gaming laptops in the form factor go, you're not going to find anything better than what Razer's offering. A Dell may run cooler, but as a gaming system it's not going to be happy.

8. durask

durask Newbie

Reputations:
    Got the new laptop back. Trackpad buttons are great, no clanking.

I switch it on. Windows tells me - "no battery detected".

I guess I'll be calling them tomorrow to send me the third one.

Get your act together, Razer....

9. nlp

nlp Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    They say they listen to costumers...

16GB RAM,
    Broadwell,
    DisplayPort (external 4K @60Hz),
    Europe availability

...would be nice. :)

10. dos101

dos101 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Wouldn't displayport (even mini-displayport) be too thick for the chassis? Broadwell chips aren't released yet, and aren't expected to be until the end of this year. I agree about 16GB RAM though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.