Razer Blade BIOS

Discussion in 'Razer' started by pbhenry3, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Nuke33

Nuke33 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    GTX1060 in RB14 2017. @Vistar Shook posted my vbios above (2nd post in thread).

Vistar Shook likes this.
  2. pbhenry3

pbhenry3 Company Representative

Reputations:
    Got it. yeah pascal was a major change to the way boost and voltage tables work. I do understand the logic to mod it but currently the only reliable flash method is direct through a programmer. It may take awhile for that mod to be released.

Nuke33 and Vistar Shook like this.
  3. Vistar Shook

Vistar Shook Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The programmer thing is too complicated for me, so I am hoping someone will crack pascal eventually to be able to flash a modded vbios easily.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
    Nuke33 and pbhenry3 like this.
  4. Nuke33

Nuke33 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Before pascal wasn´t a walk in the park either. My attempts at modifying those one my GTX980ti drove me crazy. :D

So you have to unsolder, program and resolder it ?
    Would be no problem for me to do so but i don´t know if it is worth the hassle since you can UV with Afterburner. Only real use-case I see is if one uses Linux or MacOS(Hackintosh) OSes.

Just out of curiosity why does it only work trough dedicated programmers ? Is it write-protected by the card ? The SPI flash is nothing special as far as I can see.

5. pbhenry3

Reputations:
    yes, unsolder, program, solder. The problem is that when you modify the rom, the signature key is invalid, so it wont flash. if you knew what the signature was you could theoretically sign it once modded and it would work. oem signauture is encrypted though. Another possibility is preserving signature, or getting the oem to sign your mod. all in theory would work but its not so easy.
    With dedicated programmer there is no checking, you can just flash it.

Vasudev, Nuke33 and Vistar Shook like this.
  6. bloodhawk

bloodhawk Derailer of threads.

Reputations:
    Just as a suggestion, i would add a note if these BIOS's are dumped using a programmer or using nvflash. Sometimes its not possible to recover from a bad flash using only a nvflash dump.

Also in line flashing is pretty easy :D
    Just need the right programmer and good clips.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
    Vasudev, Nuke33 and Vistar Shook like this.
  7. Hackintoshihope

Hackintoshihope AlienMeetsApple

Reputations:
    As bloodhawk mentioned an SPI programmer can dump and program these vbios chips and you do not have to desolder and resolder.

8. pbhenry3

Reputations:
    thanks for the suggestions @bloodhawk @Hackintoshihope I use a TL866cs mini programmer here, but it doesnt support flashing/ reading these when on board. I don't mind pulling chip off if its only for 1 flash, it really only becomes an issue if you are doing multiple times due to heat degradation, at which point i would just flash to a new chip anyway. This programmer works great though and even supports 1.8V through adapter, but yes it would be nice to not have to pull off chip if doing a lot of flashing.

Vistar Shook likes this.
  9. Hackintoshihope

Hackintoshihope AlienMeetsApple

Reputations:
    All you would need is a soc 8 test clip and it would work with your programmer. Please review this thread: http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/mobile-pascal-tdp-tweaker-update-and-feedback-thread.806161/ Page 3 shows the test clip.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
    Nuke33 and pbhenry3 like this.
  10. pbhenry3

Reputations:
    thanks looks like an interesting read, i'm checking it out. I did have some test clips and adapters here but they broke. I have more on the way coming in from china, but even with test clips when I had them it would not let me read from chips on razer boards or dell boards, it threw an error every single time...however, it would work every time with the chip removed and i never got an error doing it that way. It's not a major issue or anything though.

bloodhawk likes this.