Razer Blade Advanced 2019 - Personal Review

Discussion in 'Razer' started by Wishmaker, May 18, 2019.

1. Punisher5.0

Punisher5.0 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    It feels like we are going back to the Athlon X2 days.

Evertbie likes this.
  2. Wishmaker

Wishmaker BBQ Expert

Reputations:
    After spending 4 hours last night with my laptop, I identified the reasons for high abnormal temperatures.
    The WMI Provider Host process was hogging my CPU with minimal activity on my part to 100%.
    I disabled and restarted, I enabled, I rebooted, every damn time it would do the same.
    Boot my machine, do nothing and bang, 85 centigrade in balanced mode.
    I then went in other profiles and while the fans ramped up, the CPU was used at 100% at all times.

I then looked in the event viewer and noticed a lot of errors associated to this process.
    I noted the process id. and then identified in the task manager.

Surprise surprise 'Razer Game Manager'. This process would call for resources from windows and the WMI Provider Host would accommodate.
    It made my laptop drain its resources and have heat building up.
    I am typing this right now with 45 centigrade on the CPU and 40 on the GPU using throttle stop.

So I spent a few minutes reading online, even spoke to Razer support.
    They wanted me to open a case file with their engineers and see why the laptop would hang and overheat.
    I then decided to manually uninstall the Razer Game Manager.
    I ran the *.bat file and then my CPU was free.
    *pop the champagne bring the dancers*

I rebooted my machine and Razer Synapse no longer loaded.
    So I then got annoyed and reinstalled the whole thing and this time added the damn Razer Cortex in the mix.
    It seems that the Razer Game Manager is linked to the damn Razer Cortex software.
    I don't like bloatware so I did not install this when I set up the laptop.
    Having been forced to install it, now I am happy to report that my laptop no longer spikes randomly to retarded temperatures without me doing anything.
    Heck I was gaming and the chip was not only being hogged by the razer software but also by the computational power required to run the damn game.

Darkhan, bimmerboii and Vasudev like this.
  3. bimmerboii

bimmerboii Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That is an awesome investigation you did there. This would help a lot of people experiencing the same problem.

4. bimmerboii

Reputations:
    A simple solution I found was to right click the Razer Synapse on the system tray and select Exit All Apps. Immediately after exiting the fans shut off. Then just re-enable Synapse again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5. Dan@Dan

Dan@Dan Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Razer Synapse software is known to cause issue left and right. In my case, if i allow the software to run at all, i can't have a browser open on my second monitor, or i'll have choppy gameplay despite 250+ FPS on overwatch (1440p, epic) and that with a 6700K@4.5GHz and a Strix 2080Ti. I tried disabling all razer services in msconfig but then overwatch wouldn't start and i guess that's the case for all games with some form of rgb integration in razer products. Disabling the razer software after i start the game makes all the difference. No lagging and gaggin anymore even with 20 tabs open.

That issue and a lot of sudden fps drops in overwatch (i only play that game so i don't know about other stuff) are always addressed first with "do you own razer products or have synapse installed" when someone need tech supports in the forums. lol

Darkhan, Vasudev and bimmerboii like this.
  6. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The external monitor issue is thank to the Intel iGPU drivers. after booting, disable and re-enbale the Intel HD gpu. You will see the stutter is gone. It is present on all Optimus laptops and Intel should fix it for once. The bug is there already for 3 years.

7. huey85

huey85 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    What's the BSOD error message? is it VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE? If so, I was getting that a bunch too, but I seemed to have fixed the issue by doing a couple of things - 1) uninstalled current drivers and used DDU to make sure it was completely clean; 2) clean installed drivers and install the absolute latest nvidia game ready dch drivers; 3) used TDR manipulator to change TdrDelay value from 2 to 10 (increased the 2 second default value to 10 seconds for GPU to respond, else TDR watchdog loses its **** and BSOD's). More explanation here:
    https://insider.razer.com/index.php...l-9th-gen-processor.45823/page-25#post-491602

Not sure if it was the TDR delay workaround that fixed it or the latest drivers. the changelog of the latest nvidia drivers seems to mention the TDR issue.

Vasudev likes this.
  8. Wishmaker

Wishmaker BBQ Expert

Reputations:
    First upgrade. No BSODS ever since. Hmmm...first boot was quite long. Then all was normal.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

rb6freak and Vasudev like this.
  9. bimmerboii

Reputations:
    Nice. Is that a 32GB ram upgrade? Thinking of upgrading mine too. But haven't had any BSOD on mine after a clean Windows install.

How is the ifixit toolkit kit? Is the quality good or does it feel cheap? I stripped a torx screw on mine cos I used a cheap torx screwdriver.

Wishmaker likes this.
  10. Wishmaker

Wishmaker BBQ Expert

Reputations:
    32GB kit and it does the job. The reason I upgraded was the fact that 2 days ago I ended up using 14GB of RAM while doing some content creation.

The toolkit is very high quality and nothing was stripped here. Magnetic heads and you will not lose anything. I highly recommend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

rinneh and bimmerboii like this.