Razer Blade 2014 vs MacBook Pro Retina 15

Discussion in 'Razer' started by Dinamis, Jun 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dinamis

Dinamis Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey RB owners!

I am reading this forum since several months already, and trying to understand if RB2014 worth changing from MacBook Pro?
    So far i can say MacBook is a perfect laptop, best touchpad and retina display is awesome. Keyboard has no issues, its totally silent while browsing, handles battery for 5+ hours, magsafe connector is the best of the best and there are no issues except OS X. Can't get used to this OS for a year already, it's too simple and hides some things i want to see (file system), MS Excel is totally unusable, and there are no games i can play under OS X. So i just thought RB 2014 would be a nice switch and moreover i would get a gaming laptop.
    But now i am really afraid that the new 3K screen in RB has problems, AC power brick fails in every second laptop, touchpad sucks and more and more... considering that i live in Europe, every warranty claim will result in quite expensive shipments.

MacBook Pro owners! Is RB 2014 better than your Apple friend?

Thanks in advance,
    Din

2. mario64

mario64 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Unless you need a gaming laptop stick with the Mac

3. IKAS V

IKAS V Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I never used a MacPro so I cant really comment on how good it is but to tell you the truth I have no issues with the RAZER touchpad , seems to work just as good as any W8 laptop I have tried and I have tried many.
    If you want to game a lot its the way to go.

4. hfm

hfm Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    If you can't get used to OSX and want to play games the Blade is a better unit.

Myself I like working in OSX but I have a 2011 MBP 13 for that.

5. secret_s

secret_s Newbie

Reputations:
    Having both the rb 2014 and mbpr 15--I would say if your only problem is with OSX, just bootcamp your mac. The blade is a better machine in my opinion, but if you're happy with your mac you can easily get it to work like a windows machine.

6. hfm

hfm Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    This is s good compromise. The battery life suffers due to drivers for Windows on rmbp leaving a little something to be desired due to lack of optimus. It'll work though.

7. TSamee

TSamee Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I had serious graphics throttling issues in Bootcamp; not sure if the issue afflicts newer MBPr models, but it was definitely widespread on the late-2012 model which I bought. Around halfway through last year, Apple released an SMC update which they claimed would stop the battery draining while playing games. It worked, but did so by capping power usage at 80W. Before the update, I was able to play most games on high settings at 1080p by overclocking my graphics card (650M). After the update, I would get the same performance for ten minutes or so in games like Bioshock Infinite and Far Cry 3; after ten minutes the game would become incredibly choppy, dipping down to 30fps or lower for a few seconds and then jumping back to 60fps. The inconsistency in framerate made most shooters a pain to play. Underclocking my graphics card helped, but it was only a temporary fix: the 650M's core clock would throttle as low as 325MHz after a while, which was far too slow for me.

I don't know if a solution to the problem has been found, but there were no effective and lasting solutions around four months ago, when I sold my MBPr. Not sure if the Blade is your best option given your location, but I wouldn't recommend the MBPr for games.

8. Dinamis

Dinamis Newbie

Reputations:
    thanks everyone! that was very helpful, i will risk and go for RB

9. spectrablue

spectrablue Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    At this point it isn't a fair fight due to unequal product cycles.. I bought a RB but mainly due to the fact I wanted a 15" gaming laptop now instead of waiting for mac's to get broadwell in late 2014 with an unknown gaming graphics card upgrade. At the moment your current Mbpro retina choices have outdated graphics and simply can't compete fairly.

10. The"B"7

The"B"7 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi

I have had a mac pro for a few years and lets be honest... There build is amazing.... However i am sick to death of it just not coping with basic games.... My alienware 17 is coming next week and i cant wait!! Its my first gaming laptop so i dont really know a great deal about them but hopefully all goes well

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.