Razer Blade (2014) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Razer' started by Xanterra, Mar 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LordKarango

LordKarango Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Might I ask what scaling setting you guys use? Because I cant seem to get it to a point where its properly readable, and allows me to have a decent amount of realestate...

I was trying to look around to see if I could dual boot Yosemite so I could use that for casual stuff as the stuff would be real nice and crisp, and use windows for my games/ programs, although drivers are finicky to begin with, and this laptop has more specific drivers than most laptops, and it would be a pain to get it working...
    Synapse will likely get confused it expects that a blade will be running windows

Edit: After about a day and a half of extensive tinkering around with the many ways to install OS X on a non apple computer, all I can say is "for the love of god don't even go there". It is a very unstable process to begin with (considering the fact that the motherboard you choose can effect the install if you are on a desktop), and the uncommon features on the razer ranging from the qhd+ screen to optimus really messed up the installer.
    With extensive editing of the system files, it could be possible to get the installer to work properly, but the main reason I wanted to dual boot was for the high dpi scaling of OS X, and to my knowledge, very few people have gotten high res displays working, let alone on laptops...

Last edited: Jun 7, 2015
  2. Chewcy

Chewcy Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum so bear with me.
    Has anyone encountered the issue of the blade shutting down midgame? I have just gotten it 4 weeks ago from a retailer. It just powered down after about half hour of gaming. Subsequent attempt would only yield 5-10mins of gaming time. the power down means straight up black screen as if someone totally removed the power source.

Right after the shutdown, i am unable to start it up again immediately. I will either have to wait for several mins or unplug and reconnect the power source in order to start the laptop up again.

So far i have tried to play 2 games on my blade. Tera Online and Marvel Heroes 2015 and this happens for both games.

So with this happening, i went back to the store i got it from and did a 1 to 1 exchange on the spot. The same thing happened to the newly exchanged set. So what i am doing now is waiting for Razer to test a new set on their side in order to process an exchange for me.

I am totally lost as to what could be the problem. I have tried doing a recovery, updating all the windows and nvidia drivers, down scaling my screen resolution but to no avail. So now i am thinking if it could be a possible overheat? Although based on the temps i have observed from HWinfo, it is still under the acceptable range for both GPU and CPU.

Now feeling rather desperate, I am thinking of undervolting. Am i heading in the right direction? Anyone faced this problem and found a solution?

3. LordKarango

Reputations:
    Is it an instant shutdown? or do the fans/ keyboard back-light stay on for a while?
    Cant say that I have heard of the problem before, and it is even more peculiar that it happened on 2 machines... Although undervolting might not make the problem any better, as it will cause the cpu/ gpu to crash due to instabilities.
    Im assuming you are plugged into the wall while gaming, but was the battery charging? As the symptoms of shutting down and not turning back on for a couple of mins sounds like the battery went empty, and is recharging...

4. Chewcy

Chewcy Newbie

Reputations:
    It is an instant shutdown and yes it is plugged to the mains. realised that whenever it does it, the battery went down after i start it up again even though it was charging prior to the shutdown. From a thread that i started separately (due to the fact that i think i shldn have posted it here haha) someone mentioned that my case was a thermal shutdown though =/

Edit: did some tweaking and was able to bring the temps down to 76c for CPU and 85c for GPU. It still gave up on me after about half an hour of gaming. It only acts up when i game on it.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
  5. Chewcy

Chewcy Newbie

Reputations:
    I believe i have eliminated the possibility of it being a thermal shutdown. Probably will do a clean install of the Nvidia drivers later in hope that it might be the culprit behind this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. LordKarango

Reputations:
    Those temperatures are well below the limit for this laptop, so it is peculiar that it exhibits this behavior when under load...

Since my 2014 Blade was bought used off someone who bought it right after launch, it has been used fairly heavily (as shown by the large quantity of dust in the heatsinks), so I would expect it to show weird issues like the ones you are having, however it has done nothing out of the ordinary, in the past 2 weeks I have had it...

7. Chewcy

Chewcy Newbie

Reputations:
    Exactly! On top of that my set was brand new fresh out of the box.

Updates: Did a clean install for the GPU driver via Nvidia clean install and did a 10 pass intel burn test followed by a 30mins Furmark stress test. Surprisingly it did not do any hard shutdowns for the day. However it did reboot once and my game client did crash to desktop (ctd) a couple of times.

Now a new set of problems to tackle. The graphics were choppy and froze when it ctd or did a reboot.
    I will do more research on what is causing these issues. I was thinking if it was because i tweaked the voltages for the CPU? The stress test on XTU and Intel Burn Test were fine though =/

8. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    That's the wrong way to think about OS X. It is, after all, meant only to run on Macs and not on generic PCs - which you've got Windows for. Of course you should expect to tweak with system files. The very fact that you've got it to run on the Blade should be a matter of astonishment and awe. I spent four years tweaking with OS X on three different laptops, and I can assure you it has gotten very easy with Clover, automated DSDT and kext patching, and what with most new Windows machines coming with GPT formatted discs instead of MBR, life is quite simple.

Harder than a typical Windows clean install, but much easier than what it was like in the days of PowerPC and early Intel. With Sandy Bridge and built-in iGPUs, there's no need to modify graphics drivers. Kernel patching, dirty hacks are all down the drain as more PCs use UEFI BIOS and you can literally boot OS X natively. You've even got scripted installers for final driver and file installation nowadays. There's nothing much to complain about, I feel.

Don't give up because it seems hard - after you get it set up 100%, it works better and faster than a Mac. If you need help, look around the Net in sites such as InsanelyMac or tonymacx86. Or ask around here, there are several hackintoshers willing to help out.

9. LordKarango

Reputations:
    Yeah, I suppose so. I did manage to get mavericks to boot, however the gpu was not detected properly, and thus the max res was around 720p. I also noticed that you run an intel wireless card on your hackintosh, and was wondering weather it worked in osx, as no apple PCs run intel wireless chips, and thus I was unable to get wireless working without an adapter as well...

Unfortunately I was also using chimera, which only allowed me to boot into osx and did not recognize my pre existing windows install. Either way, when I tried using a clover usb to get yosemite working it ran into very odd problems even with patched kernels for haswell where it would exhibit an early reboot...

Either way, I will refrain for trying to get it working, until I have a separate hard drive exclusively for osx as I've had to reinstall windows twice now due to a number of issues, and I would rather not go through that again...

10. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    Yep - it gets even easier if you use a separate drive. Consider getting a USB drive - the Blade may or may not have an extra slot for an SSD. This is one reason I chose the Clevo over the Blade - 3 internal drives, wahoo!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.