Razer Blade (2014) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Razer' started by Xanterra, Mar 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LordKarango

LordKarango Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey guys, I'm about to buy one of these beasts 2nd hand, and was wondering if the warranty is void of the laptop is opened up.
    I plan on opening it up, to clean out the heatsinks/ replace the thermal paste if needed, but since the previous owner bought an extended warranty, it would be nice to have...

2. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    If you replace the TIM I can guarantee your warranty will be void..

Replacing the SSD or something you can probably put the original back in and get away with it.

3. LordKarango

Reputations:
    Yeah, in pictures of the underside of the laptop, I can't seem to find any stickers over screws, so unless there is any visual change, the warranty should still be there.
    Normally I would not open up the laptop for something as simple as cleaning out the heatsink, but as it is near the screen hinge, it would be hard to get at it any other way.

Also looking back at the whole fiasco around the dude who replaced the TIM and got worse temperatures, I'll just stick to whats already on there...

Also did you by any chance have the series 7 gamer? because I could have sworn I saw you on the forum for that laptop couple of years back...

4. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I still follow that forum, and I still have mine. Selling it (can't be worth much at this point). I thought about seeing if someone was interested in trying to mod the system BIOS as the vbios is embedded in it. Would think about switching out the mxm card for something better in that case, also may brick it.. But I digress, off topic for a Razer forum. ;)

LordKarango likes this.
  5. LordKarango

Reputations:
    Either way, I was just wondering what type of m.2 ssd the razer uses? as it would be awesome if it was a pci-e based one for all that speed...
    Pictures of the internals show that is does not look very large, so im assuming it is m.2 sata

6. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The 2014 has a samsung, I created a thread about it. http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...-review-swapping-instructions-cloning.771316/

I believe the 2015 has a LiteON if I'm not mistaken. It's also possible they are sourcing it from multiple manufacturers. Sadly, to answer your other question, it's a SATA 2280 M.2. I was really hoping they would have moved to PCIe with the 2015, maybe 2016...

7. LordKarango

Reputations:
    Hey guys, I just got the beast yesterday, an am loving it so far. One thing is that the intel drivers are not doing something I assumed they would do automatically, and that is scaling/ stretching the image to fit the screen when playing games lower than native resolution.

My intention from the start was to run games at 1600 by 900 as it is an even multiple of the native res, and thus would not lead to any interpolations, however when i change the in game res to 900p I'm left with a ting game screen surrounded by blackness...

I know that I can set the desktop resolution to be 900p as well, but it is not an elegant solution, and due to windows scaling, many of my programs like steam get too big to fit onscreen when I do so.

Edit: After downloading the newest intel drivers, there were more option in the intel control panel regarding how the game would scale non native resolutions.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2015
  8. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    1. It's still going to interpolate, I expected that as well, but that's just the way the algorithm works.

2. I am actually using it at 1600x900 (I know you don't want to do this) due to one or two apps not handling the DPI Aware API's properly. I don't really notice gaming, I notice in Windows but I'm used to it. My other notebook is a MacBook Pro Retina 13 and I use that many more hours than I use the Blade (work) and I still don't notice..

3. The scaling issue sucks, but it does happen for some games. I actually though it was eradicated when Assassins Creed IV stopped having the problem after I updated the Intel video drivers, but I just noticed Witcher 3 putting a 1600x900 square in the middle of the display at 3200x1800 when I use Fullscreen with it. Doesn't happen in Borderless Windowed mode so I've continued to play that way. Shrug.. Still seems fine to me.

There's a couple apps that will let you run pretty much any game in borderless windowed fullscreen, the best of the lot SEEMS to be this one, but by all means try a few...

http://westechsolutions.net/sites/WindowedBorderlessGaming/

9. LordKarango

Reputations:
    Yeah, It's quite entertaining watching apps like origin start with no scaling as a tiny box with text inside...

either way, I'll just suck it up and endure the programs with wonky scaling, because the few times when you notice the display working at its best, it really does look very nice.

Attached Files:

10. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Yeah, I've seen it. Still can't believe Origin isn't using the API's properly. At least Steam was scaling, as blurry as it was it was readable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.