Razer Blade 15 with RTX 2080, I just did a hands on... AMA

Discussion in 'Razer' started by GizmoSlip, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Terreos

Terreos Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    :eek:
    Oh no. Man that has to be annoying then. Knowing them their not gonna change it for awhile. It took them what two- three years to add function key lighting back? I'd actually love to sit down with whoever is in charge of designing these laptops and ask them why they do such ass backwards things like that.

2. dander

dander Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    No it's all about those comfort which some manufacturers don't seem to get
    Love how MSI laptops only light up the relevant keys when you press the function key, even having volume up down on the arrow keys is nicer than the F keys... at least when you don't have a function lock key like Dell XPS :(
    Idk how the new blade is but bringing back backit secondary characters and adding windows hello is very good, wish it had fingerprint though and that right Fn key is weird lol

Arondel likes this.
  3. iMbaQ

iMbaQ Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    After using IR Cam Windows Hello, I would hate to go back to fingerprint. I use IR Cam on the XPS 9370 and fingerprint on a MacBook Pro (which would be superior to any Windows Fingerprint) and I can't get over how much better the IR Cam version is.

They have actually removed the IR Cam from the XPS 9380 and added fingerprint (they couldn't fit the IR cam at the top bezel) and that alone would mean I will never purchase it.

4. dander

Reputations:
    Personally I prefer something with no camera/mic, I'd rather the IR cam than nothing though!

I'd rather they'd have moved the screen down more and have a slightly bigger bezel than no IR cam. Wonder how the quality is now that they specifically tout software denoising or whatever as a feature now...

5. iMbaQ

iMbaQ Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I think people have an unhealthy level of paranoia when it comes to cam's/mic. People see like an ex-FBI Director or other high profile people do it and think they should follow - the reason they do it is that they are potential high value targets of very sophisticated attacks (even a spy potentially gaining hardware access to their laptops to infect it). Us commoners have very little to worry about.

6. dander

Reputations:
    I have a webcam and microphone for comms purposes, my current laptop has the cam and mic right where the fans exhaust rendering the microphone useless if I'm in a steam call while gaming or anything that's not idle. It just seems like unnecessary hardware tbh never mind cost for something I'll never use. Privacy isn't the only reason