Razer Blade 15 VS MSI GS65

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Grxzz, Mar 30, 2019.

?

Wich would you buy?

1. Razer blade 15

2. Msi gs65

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Grxzz

Grxzz Newbie

Reputations:
    I want to know your thoughts on this machines and if you own one, share your experience on thermals and general performance for gaming and daily use.

At this moment, I own an Asus Rog Gu501gm but i'm going to change it because it's too heavy and too big to transport daily on my backpack. Also, i don't find it very pleasing as it's looks too "gamer" to use it in public, i work at a law company and it simply doesn't fits.

I like the style of the razer, hate the logo, heard that it can be turn off (can somebody confirm?)
    Went to see a msi gs65 but had coil whining problems, that got me worried about reliability.

I'm not sure wich to buy, i'm very concerned about future problems as i don't live in the us and guarantee doesn't apply here, it would be too expensive to return.

Please help.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D39HTMS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2L77EE7U53NWQ&psc=1
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BNXN12Q/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A2L77EE7U53NWQ&psc=1

Sad to say but i'm more worried about aesthetics and reliability than performance, as they have quite the same performance.

2. stamar

stamar Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Consider aero 15 as probably the least gamer
    And triton 500 also pretty non gamer looking

https://www.sagernotebook.com/Notebook-NP8956.html

And this sager as the cheapest option.
    The razer Will be the nicest stiffest metal
    The other ones are all pretty much the same they are metal in peicces with flex
    The sager and triton are gs65 clones basically trying to be the same size look everything
    The Razer and the asus zephyrus 531 are nicer build
    The sager and msi run coolest

The sager has no lights to it outside the keyboard that look weird
    Id say aesthetic the aero 15 is least game then the sager
    Id say heat the aero 15 is hottest and then the razer 15
    Least hot is actually the asus zephyrus you didnt list. Then the sager

Last edited: Mar 30, 2019
  3. AlexusR

AlexusR Guest

Reputations:
    Hi, if you want the most "professional" look - take a look at Sager/Clevo models, they are usually not flashy and have much more subdued looks. Just don't buy them directly from Sager, buy them from resellers like XoticPC or HIDevolution, the resellers have an option of removing the brand logo from display cover and some have an option to add a custom painting or skin on top of display cover (plus they offer additional services like an option to get the display with least amount of backlight bleeding).

Speaking of skin - if you like Razer Blade and will buy model where logo cannot be turned off (I do not know exact model where this is possible or not, you should contact Razer first to know for sure) - you can cover it with a skin, DBrand sells those and I'm sure plenty of other companies sell them as well.

4. stamar

stamar Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I ordered a 17 inch version and did get sager removed.
    Even if it's not it looks fine to have a normal brand in the lid.

The lid has some creases in it. Just like the gs stealth they look kind of the same black thin. Just a tiny bit if Batman in it. Unfortunately. Look at the aero 15 to get zero gamer look
    The aero has by far the best battery life. The asus and sager have bad battery life.

All things considered the gs63 stealth is the lightest one and it's thermals are great really in many ways I'm going to say its the best one overall it's not bad at anything it's best at some things
    A couple categories the other ones are better. That zephyrus 531 has the air opening thing
    But the sager clevo has condensation cooking and 3 fans 8 pipes.
    Sager is just the best deal it weighs a little more

If you want a 2070 mq one the sager is actually 300 less than a a msi 2060 one its 1550 out the door with Windows

It may be the only one in the category with 3 ssd bays also the asus has only 1 I think all the other obes have 2

So here's the thin lights with 2060 to 2080

1. Aero 15
    2. Msi gs65
    3. Asus zephyrus 531
    4. Acer triton 500
    5. Razer blade 15
    6. Sager clevo 950 Dec

Also alienware m15 Lenovo y740 seem too gamey for you
    And probably an hp omen model as well or soon to be

5. stamar

stamar Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
  6. stamar

stamar Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
  7. Astenb

Astenb Newbie

Reputations:
    I went with the blade 2070.
    The 1060 version of the MSI is barely over 1000 in a few places. Check the Microsoft store. The Razer models are all on sale there as well.

8. AlexusR

AlexusR Guest

Reputations:
    Cool. Razer Blade models do look great and have good physical build quality and you can cover the logo with vinyl skins of any pattern or color.

9. knibbler

knibbler Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The Blade has a genuine IPS LG screen. MSI will never spring for a real IPS. Theres just something off with all those IPS - level AUO screens. The blacks dont seem deep enough to me. The gs65 is a floppy disc compared to the blade. The blade doesnt even really cost more anymore.
    Blade has 90watt gpu's. The others dont besides the Zephyrus.
    Vapor Chamber
    Dual channel ram stock.

I think you really need to love MSI to choose it over a Razer

10. JRey

JRey Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Here's my reviews of both.

Blade - https://www.theeverydayenthusiast.com/home/review-2019-razer-blade-advanced-w-rtx-2080-max-q

GS65 - https://www.theeverydayenthusiast.com/home/review-2019-msi-gs65

TLDR - I'd choose the GS65 over the Blade 10/10 times.
    • Storage space - there is only a single m.2 slot for storage. If you're in need of more storage, you'll have to purchase a larger NVME drive instead of adding one in.
    • Access to Advanced Bios to made additional tweaks. On the MSI, I can literally stop CPU throttling from happening. On the Blade, there is absolutely no way to stop current throttling on the CPU so it will never sustain 3.9GHz indefinitely unless Razer gives us access to the Advanced Bios.
    • Custom fan curves - on the GS65, I can set custom fan curves depending on the temp of the components
    • Longer battery life - I can get almost double the battery life as the Razer.
    • GPU - I can flash my 80w GPU in the Gs65 to the 90w Razer bios and get similar performance.

Hope this helps!