Razer Blade 15 RTX update

Discussion in 'Razer' started by Joikansai, Jan 7, 2019.

1. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I dont play Apex so I cant say anything about the performance in that game.

But the performance is almso tidentical to the overclcoked full fat 1070 in my Alienware 15R3 so in general 15~20% faster than the 1070MQ depending on the game and resolution.

To prevent the bloating up, keep it cool as much as possible. I did that to limit the clockspeeds to 3.4ghz and undervolt. I dust out the laptop with canned air every 3 months. This helps me to keep the temps between 80c~85c while gaming under load in a 22c room. The GPU sits around 75c. Unfortunately we cannot preven tit by limiting the charge of the battery to 80%. This would lower the internal cell voltage which theoretically quadruples the lifespan and cause less heat while charging. SO the only factor we can remove as much as possible is to just keep it cool. The battery quality isnt great but we cannot fix that.

Also dont use a super hot NVMe drive next to the battery. I opted for a Sata drive such as the Samsung 860evo. It runs way cooler. and apart from benchmarks, I dont notice the speed difference.

2. eddi3x3x3

eddi3x3x3 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    That performance you mentioned is with stock vbios? Or another version? How many watts?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

3. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Stock bios and stock settings of the GPU. Using balanced mode I see the wattage in use peaking at 100watts but in general is is around 90watts.

I dont recommend using anothe rbios because it heats up the mediocre cooled VRM's thus ruining the lifespan slowly and also pushing more heat into the chassis.

Joikansai likes this.
  4. eddi3x3x3

Reputations:
    Wait the new blade 15 with 9750h pulls 90w on the gpu? Or is yours the earlier version with 8750h, I saw the new refresh has 80w gpu on the forums but not sure if it's true

5. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    My personal unit is the early 2019 version. The new version is 80watts indeed (we have it at the office). But the performance is generally just the same. Might be that they just undervolted the GPU a bit to gain the same performance.

6. eddi3x3x3

Reputations:
    That's concerning, wish there was a website that had fps numbers for all models.... Notebook check doesn't have fps numbers for a bunch of games (including Apex) for the razerblade 15 specifically.

7. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Apex isnt benchmark friendly and differs with every run. But the 3Dmark scores are pretty much identical for the early and mid 2019 blades. ALso you can use data from other laptops.

8. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Beside bad luck of battery batch, battery bloat can be happening if you don’t care about the thermal, too hot cassis makes the parts wear like the battery faster.
    On Turing especially mobile maxq the difference between gen with Pascal isn’t huge like Maxwell to Pascal, maybe max around 20% raw, it has though fancy ray tracing function.
    I think new update (not quite sure bios or Synapse) brings back 90 watt gpu tdp on mid 2019 (9750H), tried high performance mode? Maybe balanced mode limits it on 80 watt.

9. Metalocalypse

Metalocalypse Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hello guys, can you give me advice pls. It there worth to update from blade 2018 advanced 1070 max q to blade advanced 2080 240 9th optical keyboard?

10. Makyura

Makyura Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I've upgraded from 8750 + 1070 to 9750 + 2080 and the improvement is huge.
    Worth the 3000 price tag? Maybe not, but this is some kind of luxury device, so the price has a meaning for sure, but not THAT much.
    I wanted something to play competitively on the go, so 240 hz screen and 2080 were a must, I didn't want any huge and heavy piece of plastic so this device was the only option available.