Razer Blade 15 RTX update

Discussion in 'Razer' started by Joikansai, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Wishmaker

Wishmaker BBQ Expert

Reputations:
    I updated to 1.04 without any issue. I did notice that when I start my laptop now, the fans ramp up like an F18. With 1.03 they were not ramping up as often.

2. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I just updated the bios with the exe files on the website, First did the bios, then EC after that the Intel ME stuff.

3. Driftingnfsc3

Driftingnfsc3 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have a question for the owners of the blade 15 with rtx and the 8750h, running BIOS version 1.04. Those of you who have an undervolt, can you guys tell me your undervolt and what clock speeds you guys are getting when the laptop throttles to 45W during a cinebench r15 run?

Almost every review that i have seen states they get 3.6GHz at 45W package power with an undervolt of around -140mV.

My 4k blade 15 with rtx 2070 reaches a clock of 3.25GHz when the 45W limit kicks in during a cinebench run. Im running a -145mV offset on the 8750h. It seems odd that i am getting 350MHz less than everyone else. However, it doesn't end there. On the older gtx 1070 version of this laptop, MSI GS75 and a lenovo thinkpad x1 extreme (this one had an 8850h), i was able to hit 3.6GHz, 3.5GHz and 3.7GHz respectively, at 45W during stress tests (multiple cinebench runs, prime95).

What i want to confirm is, did i get a really bad chip, or is the latest bios version doing something weird with the power draw of the cpu. When i play anthem, the cpu will hit 94 degrees c on a notebook cooler with the fan maxed out, and undervolt applied. This makes me think i just have a poor quality cpu that takes approx 10W more power to keep the same clocks that everyone else is getting.

4. Wishmaker

Wishmaker BBQ Expert

Reputations:
    These are my settings. We have the same machine with the same BIOS.
    My machine climbs up to 3600 MHz in Cinebench R20.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    How are your ambient temps, that is a very important factor.

6. Driftingnfsc3

Reputations:
    forgot to add the values. 23 degrees c, sometimes goes to 22 degrees c. that said, i know it is not a paste issue, because the temps transition smoothly. they do not instantly increase to 94 degrees c. when running cinebench only, the temps will hit 80 degrees when turbo boosted, and then gradually fall down to 70 degrees once the 45W limit kicks in. the extra power my copy of the 8750h needs is adding unnecessary load to the heatsink, making everything run hotter, especially when gaming, where the 45W limit is reached more often with my 8750h than others.

thank you for posting. i see you limited your clocks to 3.6GHz. just wanted to confirm, is that where you hit 45W package power?
    its looking like i just have a bad cpu. i will await more replies from others before exchanging it.

7. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    A too high undervolt can cause a limit on your max clockspeeds, 45watt package power doesnt say everything because in Prime95 it will reach 45watt with far lower clockspeeds than any videogame out there.

8. Driftingnfsc3

Reputations:
    i should've probably added more information. i am well aware that too high of an undervolt can result in no improvements over a smaller undervolt, if not make the processor consume more power. during my undervolting process, i observe the power draw when running my stress tests, to see where i reach a point of diminishing returns, and then i lower the undervolt amount by adding 5mV to the resulting offset for increased stability. in otherwords, lowering my overvolt from -145mV to any value lower results in more power consumption in turbo and lower clock speed when running at 45W. my cpu has been able to successfully run prime 95 with a -165mV offset for 30 minutes, but it provides me such marginal improvements over -145mV. Not to mention that on idle it crashes instantly with the -165mV offset.

i am also well aware that prime95 is a worse case scenario. but cinebench isn't and anthem eats the cpu almost as hard as cinebench. i am seeing my processor consistently pegged at 45W when i play anthem on gaming mode. the only reason i asked people if they could give me they're power draw from cinebench is because 1) its accessible and free and 2) it's giving me the closest values to what i get in anthem in terms of power draw and resulting clock speed (i get 3.3GHz in anthem when i am not in a menu and 45W limit is reached). I am personally getting some stutter in games like anthem that rely so heavily on the cpu. There are quite a few games out there that reviewers do not review that i enjoy playing, and most of them end up being cpu intensive (anthem, destiny 2 albeit not as intensive and planetside 2 are just some examples)

i just want to know how common it is to get a processor like mine, and if my processor is really as bad as it gets. if it is just a one off situation, i am just going to get it replaced. if these poor quality chips are more prevalent with the release of 9th gen chips displacing the high quality 8th gen ones, then i will wait for the 4k OLED blade to come out.

9. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    145mv offset is quite good to be honest if your CPU can run at that steadily because mine is between 115mv~125mv stable. I havent monitored the CPU clockpseeds in Anthem, uninstalled the game because it was kinda crap. In BF5 the CPU clocks are mostly around 3.4ghz with my undervolt and configuration. Temepratures around 85c max with the 2070MQ running full throttle.

10. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Try balanced mode Anthem was not quite optimized titles, 45 watt means you’re running on gaming mode I assume. I’d limit the tdp on 25 watt with balanced mode, even on this balanced mode I’m hitting low 90ish on 8750H RBA 2018 (1070maxq), no thermal throttling though but quite stress the cpu like Far cry 5 and shadow of the tomb Raider (I avoid gaming mode on those titles), maybe you should limiting core amplifier like @Wishmaker does if you want gaming mode on this title (I didn’t do that when playing Anthem), or try repasting cpu with better compound.