Razer Blade 15 RTX update

Discussion in 'Razer' started by Joikansai, Jan 7, 2019.

1. jace888au

jace888au Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    hey guys, I have the 2070 Max Q blade 15 (i7-8750h) and am wondering if I should get a Razer Core to use with my old 1080 Ti FE, or if there's even any point in using it given the performance in the 2070 Max Q. Does anyone have a view on this (taking into account the performance degredation from using an eGPU).

2. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Gtx model on gaming mode cpu demanding titles like far cry, Assassin Creed etc 100% will hit high 90ish (no Core amplifier limitation), I think repasting would also not help much. Idk if I set back OC value to 0, not tested yet (on gtx model gaming mode would automatically OC the gpu by Core 100/ memory 300, beside bump tdp to 45 and limiting it around that wattage on long running).

3. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    From what I saw from other users, repasting doesnt do much, Razer seem to use decent paste, and the core temperatures are all close to eachother, indicating that the pressure is even as well. So I agree with you that it probably would be useless to repaste. Maybe just after a year to refresh the paste and clean the fans etc.

4. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yes i used to that yearly but this one got really dirty on 10 months, I saw a bit cores difference saw inside it was bad dusted. Clean it it’s fine again, but still on far cry can’t use gaming mode even balanced it’s occasionally hit 90. I don’t lower the core clocks though in this 11 months, kind want the best performance and stress it more within 2 years EU Guarantee period and see how this can hold by playing in dangerous areas lol:)

5. huey85

huey85 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I did a bit of googling last week and found this sleeve from Amazon was highly recommended, so I bought it. Fits very nicely and has nice cushioning just in case of accidental drops/bumps.
    https://www.amazon.com.au/gp/product/B07K891RZB/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=A10IGYAT87NQ7M&th=1
    I got the gray one.

6. huey85

huey85 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
  7. etacarinae

etacarinae Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I got the blue one. The power brick is too big to be able to do the zip up on the front pouch.

That's the same frequency as the stock RAM so there won't be any real performance gains.

I got this kit: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017UC42TA
    This is the more popular kit because it has a lower latency: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NAL3TYY
    Also, this is even cheaper: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BGZEVHU

It's not the best practice to buy separate DIMM kits. Always buy the pairs.

Last edited: May 10, 2019
  8. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    90c still should be okay. I never saw an Intel CPU die, those are pretty well made, As long if the PCH isnt that hot, the GPU etc we should be fine I think.

I do think the fan nosie on the razers is kinda conservative. If I select max fanspeeds, the CPU on the RTX version doesnt cross 85c and the GPU stays at a nice 70c. On high performance mode, my GPU can reach 76c with the normal fan profile.

9. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yes rtx model has better cooling, fans rpm can go higher, Gtx model only max 5000rpm. PCH isn’t matter it’s cooled by pad unlike some notebook. GPU isn’t a deal in my experience with Blade laptop, last 14 1060 was max 79, now 1070maxq is even lower around yours, cpu that’s badass.

10. Wishmaker

Wishmaker BBQ Expert

Reputations:
    Been using it for two hours, we are not yet friends . Moving from my Huntsman Elite to the laptop keyboard is painful. Comparing it to my MacBook Pro and other laptops I would accept it as an okay but I am not convinced on the feel.

Also who did such a short shift key for the UK version ? So I got an arrow between my long right shift key and the first / and ? Yet on the left side I have a tiny shift key which I can hardly control.

I guess it is a matter of getting used too this but so far I am not loving this keyboard.

Regarding everything else, too early to say but I am loving it. Feels a bit warm on the touch while I install things. I guess I need to read on undervolting.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Joikansai likes this.