Razer Blade 15 RTX update

Discussion in 'Razer' started by Joikansai, Jan 7, 2019.

1. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Just tested my blade 15 2070MQ. Performance is good, temps are good too but the chassis itself does get very hot, I worry about the battery longevity because of this.

Also the more I read, the more I see issues popping up about the Blade 15. Not sure if I want to keep it. Got quite a bad backlight bleed spot on the right side as well. For 2500euro that kinda sucks....

Bit of an annoying thing, that the case itself looks and feels great but user comments on forums dont give me confidence that this laptop can last about 3 years.

When installin gmy own SSD's I noticed that the screws are super tight as well, felt off.

2. struselix

struselix Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I will, thx!

3. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    With that feeling I would return it back I think now for more €100 (german and France Store price) you can get 9th gen new cpu, 240Hz (apparently world first) ips Panel.
    I noticed first time like a month or less upper keyboard area was hot, couldn’t put my hand on it for like a minutes or so, but after that till now I could put without feeling hot, warm yes. I think because new hardware or maybe some software optimization that made the machine run hotter, or maybe because it take heat better than 2018 model. My cpu max gaming temperature 91 degrees averaging mid 80 or lower depends the title with no Turbo boost limitation.
    Yeah BLB i habe as well but minimum, didn’t disturbing playing Exodus, Vampyr etc that has a lot dark scenes.
    Yeah I saw also users reporting tight screws on rtx model. My ssd swapping time record still under 5 minutes, 11 screws isn’t too tight and also not loose.
    Yes I always wanted to test my laptops longevity, but damn every year comes cool things that are quite tempting, max my Blade usage was 2 years but it was fine when I sold it.

rinneh likes this.
  4. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I could resolve the backlight bleed, I warmed up the bezel/adhesive underneath where rhe backlight bleed was present and slightly lifted the bezel on that spot and carefully pressed it back in place. Seems to have fixed it.

The temps are around 75c on GPU and 85c on CPU which is pretty good for such a thin machine. But the whole chassis acts like a heatsink.

Joikansai likes this.
  5. Wonkyfinger

Wonkyfinger Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I heard that on the chassis heatsink. Palm rests are a little toasty, but that's literally the only problem I have found so far (other than the earlier posted synapse local saving, which I still haven't solved). Still trying to decide if the hot chassis is a deal breaker. I never have my laptop on a desk, it's on a lapdesk 100% of the time I'm using it, so it might be a problem is the Alabama summer comes along.

6. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I see i think I heard song saying something with hot Alabama;), yes ambient temperature play also big role. Last summer here in Germany I think wasn’t too hot didn’t notice above 40, probably mid 30ish Celsius. Last week was a bit warm around 23 degrees in non AC room (we mostly use only central heater, summer for most poeple like me only use ventilator), I didn’t feel uncomfortable playing far cry new dawn 2 hours or more, last summer I noticed a bit sweat using the keyboard. Probably rtx Blade Transfer better the heat to cassis since my cpu temperature for fat cry is high 80 and mid 80 on Division 2. Maybe I need to repasting it since it’s already 10 months gaming usage.
    What do you want to do with save location? On my 2018 model there’re two location Synapse 3 folder, on programs file and users/appdata/local, both on Razer folder.

7. Wonkyfinger

Reputations:
    I want to be able to save my lighting program locally so it will still activate if I am offline and cannot connect to Synapse.

8. Mahalaleel

Mahalaleel Newbie

Reputations:
    I've had my first Razer laptop (Blade 15 w/ 2060) for about two weeks now.

I've been using it mostly for web development, but also like to use it for gaming.

Is there any simple way to have it change between 144hz and 60hz refresh when I go from games to productivity?

Whenever I game I am plugged in, but when I am working I need to be able to move around, and would like to maximize battery life.

Is there a go-to guide for setting this thing up right? I feel like it should have done this by default from the manufacturer, but I'm not opposed to tweaking things.

9. Wonkyfinger

Reputations:
    Open Synapse, I think you got to system > performance. Should be a box where you can switch between 60 and 144.

10. craigery81

craigery81 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Sure can easily. In the Synapse app go to the performance tab. On the lower right side below the fan speeds you can select 144hz or 60hz.