Razer Blade 15 RTX update

Discussion in 'Razer' started by Joikansai, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It’s maybe confusing at first since on other brands light indicator means other like dgpu usage etc. Forgot to mention, Afterburner maybe also the culprit of short battery life since on some Version it turn off optimus and use nvidia dgpu, you can check it on gpu usage Graph on afterburner. When I’m not wrong this’s drivers issue, idk if it’s solved yet but I use afterburner only when gaming (monitoring) and overclocking (if there’s thermal headroom), on battery usage i stay away from that.

2. struselix

struselix Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You can go to the nvidia settings and activate the task bar icon to show the GPU activity. So you can see if your GPU is running.
    With my "own" battery saving settings it shows me 4-5 hours. When I activate the Windows battery saving mode it says 7-8 hours.

3. improwise

improwise Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Isn't it so that the GSync is available for external screens but not the internal laptop screen?

4. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Asus Zephyrus m501 is portable laptop with g sync internal screen, it’s switchable optimus but its battery capacity is bad that made optimus useless. Blade with internal g sync only Blade Pro 4K, that to me isn’t counted as portable laptop. If you’ve display port on your laptop you can run g sync external monitor no matter your internal screen is g sync or no.

5. JRey

JRey Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  6. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Unfortunately something seems to keep enabling the Geforce GPU out of the box with the Zephyrus, still a smaller battery. But people say it is fixable by disabling the GPU in the control panel for various apps in use.

7. andysui

andysui Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Mmhm, somehow I can't run dxdiag to figure out what version of directX I have. I tried to open it for more than 10 times and only got it opened once but the system information is blank. It was saying something about Dxdiag might have a problem accessing the system if I wanna bypass the system information and might also have a problem accessing Direct 3D. On the Direct3D window, if I clicked yes to bypass direct3D, then it won't open. If not, then the system info is blank. I'm just curious if I have the directX 12 successfully installed. Any thoughts?
    upload_2019-3-28_2-52-31.png upload_2019-3-28_2-52-47.png

8. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Windows10 has dx12 integrated, you cant uninstall it etc. It is just there.

Joikansai and andysui like this.
  9. improwise

improwise Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Great review and I really liked the "advanced stuff". Thanks.

Not sure if I missed it but I didn't see any mentioning of the screen? Do you find the 144 hz too dim? What about using it as a 90% work computer instead of something like the XPS15, any thought on that?

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

10. JRey

JRey Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hey! It looks like I accidentally deleted the couple sentences about the screen -_-. Anyway, The screen was actually pretty bright for me, I toned it down to 40% which was bright enough indoors. In brighter areas, having it at 80-100% was bright enough as well.

Regarding using the Blade over the Dell for 90% work, I'd just go for the Dell. It's cheaper, better battery, and lighter. (better battery and lighter applies to the 97wHr battery upgrade.).

improwise and andysui like this.