Razer Blade 15 RTX update

Discussion in 'Razer' started by Joikansai, Jan 7, 2019.

1. struselix

struselix Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thx for your help (as so often, also in the Razer Insider Forum :)). I have now installed Throttlestop. A few more clicks than XTU to set up...but finally this works after reboot.:D

Joikansai likes this.
  2. cn555ic

cn555ic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  3. Zzzzz_man

Zzzzz_man Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi everyone! Been reading the forums for the past couple of weeks and have been impressed by the wealth of expertise here. I recently replaced a well-used and well-traveled Asus Zenbook Pro with a new RTX Blade 15 in Mercury White/Silver. Most I could afford right now was the 2060 GPU but, wow, what a difference in performance compared to my old rig.

I travel for business and my first priority was a sturdy build that could easily perform my daily tasks and still do a little gaming on the side. I'm not a serious gamer by any means but, after seeing what else was out there, I chose the Razer because it seemed to have the right combination of looks, performance and (I hope) durability.

Much of what's being discussed here is a bit over my head but, I'm hoping to learn the ropes and hope you'll bear with me if/when I ask dumb questions. I have no complaints so far. I wish the display were a little brighter but, that's about it. I played World Of Tanks with my kids for a couple of hours last night and was impressed by the thermal management and ability to get 129-140fps on Medium graphics settings. That kinda blew my mind. I don't think I've ever run any game much higher than the 70-80fps range.

improwise and andysui like this.
  4. andysui

andysui Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Glad you like it. I just got mine yesterday as well. Spent a whole day installing everything I needed and optimizing the performance via testing undervolting thresholds. The screen on the blade isn't perfect but should be decent enough when on-the-go. When you are home or at office just connect it to a 2K or even 4K external monitor with the mini-DP port. It even supports G-sync if you are interested in the big titles in the future. Congrats again on the new laptop. I was just so happy to finally got my machine and blown away by the performance as well.

Joikansai and Zzzzz_man like this.
  5. Zzzzz_man

Zzzzz_man Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks! Yeah, it's in another league with the 144Hz refresh and RTX graphics. I kind of knew it would be given Razer's reputation and all the rave reviews on YouTube but I still drove 60 miles to check it out in-person. I had to see it to believe it.

I've pretty much accepted that there's no perfect one out there. I've used Dell, Lenovo and HP at work. Have previously owned Asus, Acer and HP and there isn't one of them that didn't have something I thought could either be improved or made less annoying. My choices this time came down to MSI, Razer and Gigabyte and of those three, I thought the Razer had the best combination of things I wanted and performance.

I'm hoping to learn more about undervolting to optimize performance and anything else I can do to make it the best it can possibly be.

andysui and Joikansai like this.
  6. struselix

struselix Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That is what I realized as well. There is no perfect notebook...

For undervolting (which is not that complicated) you might check either using XTU or throttlestop:

https://www.notebookcheck.net/How-t...ife-The-ThrottleStop-Guide-2017.213140.0.html

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Extreme-Tuning-Utility-XTU-Undervolting-Guide.272120.0.html

andysui and Zzzzz_man like this.
  7. andysui

Reputations:
    Quick question for previous blade owners:
    Is this the light indicator for Optimums mode? If so, when optimums is on, should it light up or turn off? I've been messing around with throttlestop to customize my current battery saving mode. With undervoting and stuff, it shows I have around 4hours battery life, which still seem a bit low to me (I only have chrome on with about 8tabs). I'm wondering if it's because somehow my Optimums is not turned on due to MSI Afterburner or some other programs, but I did check in the task manager and no programs is using the dGPU.
    upload_2019-3-22_16-17-3.png

8. feomko

feomko Newbie

Reputations:
    No, it's just a power indicator =)

andysui likes this.
  9. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It’s system indicator related with display and battery correctly, won’t turn on if you use internal display or shut down condition, blue (or maybe white) indicator shows your system on sleep mode, green means your internal screen is off like using external monitor only, red means low battery.
    About battery life try other browser like Firefox, chrome seems take a lot battery life, and you can check battery discharging rate like with HWinfo64 make sure it doesn’t take over 12 watt on battery usage, if so check other apps that may consume a lot battery like printer software that I saw from user recently or in my case was Razer gpu switcher Beta (I’m using it with Razer Core), turn it off from apps tab that show on Upper arrow usually on right bottom area near battery mark indicator.

andysui likes this.
  10. andysui

Reputations:
    Thanks for the tips man, I will try them out to see how they work!