Razer Blade 15 RTX update

Discussion in 'Razer' started by Joikansai, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I don’t notice any screen tearing yet last time I noticed was on Blade 14 2017, even I’ve g sync 1440p 144Hz monitor for 1080p like esports I prefer playing on Blade 15 Panel. Open world or other single player on external monitor. G sync on portable laptops is useless, bad battery life, other side optimus has a lot bugs, both has its advantage and disadvantage, hope someday it’ll be more manufacturer that use g sync optimus switchable not only Zephyrus and Clevo with bigger battery capacity than current existing one.

IKAS V likes this.
  2. andysui

andysui Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I think the Razer blade 15 is in same category with the MSI GS65, which aims to offer not only decent gaming but also the on-the-go experience. The power efficiency decrease brought by putting G-sync onboard just isn't worth it, since they already have 144HZ panels. Whereas for the ROG Zephyrus GX531/701, though similar in size, their keyboard layouts and the way their coolings are designed are obviously aiming for some sort of portable but mostly on desks direction. That's why they have G-Sync on board because they assume their customers would use the Zepherus with AC pluged in most of the time so the increased battery consumption wouldn't be an issue. However, ASUS did add Optimus mode and Type-C charging to try to improve their "portable" experience, but it's just too inconvenient IMO.
    The Zephyrus S GX701 does have better performance and cooling than the GS75 and the Blade 15 though.

3. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Hmm the 2060 in the average laptop is on par with a full size 1070, the MQ is quite a bit slower.

But its a shame that pretty much all current laptops out of the box run way too hot. But it is worrisome, especially considering the Razer balde 15 is also available with the 2080MQ.

4. struselix

struselix Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi guys. Recently I owned a 2018 professional model and I remember that it stayed silent while web surfing.
    Now I have the 2019 model with the 2070 and the fans are running a bit all the time and battery shows 2 hours of battery life at 100% - although energy saving mode is activated. No app is running in the background...RGB lighting is off...
    Is there s.th. I have forgotten to check?

5. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I think this both laptops sit on top rangking on its gpu class. True out of box thermal seemly most manufacturer overvollt their cpu setting, so first thing to do on Blade is undervolting.

6. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    No apps running background doesn’t mean no operation works back there. Maybe some optimization like windows update or Synapse are working? You can check discharging rate, i think if 2 hours it’s over 20 watt, try to manage under 10 watt on battery. I found battery killer apps that is even not open eat the battery, on my case is gpu switcher Beta turn it on battery life will be worse a lot. You can check it on battery setting on windows as well, I think chrome may be also the culprit.

7. struselix

struselix Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Oh ok. Chrome might be an issue. I`ll check maybe Opera instead.

8. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Thats after tuning and potential overclocking.

9. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yes I think most people tuning their laptops and for benchmarks using OC profile, including me. On 2080 it’s hard to track due full mobile and maxq architecture but on 2060 it’s clearly the score can’t be catch by other manufacturer, ignore the highest score second and third is Blade as well.
    https://www.3dmark.com/search#/?mod...NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (Notebook)&gpuCount=0

10. knibbler

knibbler Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Do these black blades really scratch up easy? I noticed a little knick on the sharp edge of the left side. Shiny aluminum underneath..
    I dont even know how it happened. This is the first gaming laptop i use around the house instead of just a desk. Never had a scratch..had this 2 weeks and already getting dinged.

Dbrand skins dont cover the edges.
    Seems to be delicate aluminum and also light layer of paint