Razer Blade 15 RTX update

Discussion in 'Razer' started by Joikansai, Jan 7, 2019.

1. iMbaQ

iMbaQ Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Rather it will just throttle down really fast. I think the 2060 version might be the best one to get, as the 2070/80, although will provide improvements, may not be that BIG of an improvement factoring in throttling?

2. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    Likely will be able to counter the throttle with liquid metal since they will be using vapor chamber. Undervolt CPU + GPU should also be able to help, but won’t know until somebody gets a hold of the actual machine

3. DrMindRiot

DrMindRiot Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I think it's unrealistic for liquid metal to be mandatory in order for a laptop to function as advertised. Not only does it void the warranty it puts the machine at risk. For many people it simply isn't worth it.

4. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    Razer rep on reddit confirmed it didn’t void warranty, so long as you do not damage anything in the process of doing the repaste. I also think it’s sillu to have to resort to galinstan to make things work right, but that’s just the nature of the beast when it comes to performance laptops, regardless of make. Thermal envelope and conductivity is brand agnostic, science is science. That being said, some solutions are more clever than others but they are largely the same across manufacturers. The heatsink itself as well as the fans tend to be good, but the compound tends to be garbage and even high performance non-galinstan compounds cannot saturate the heatsink fast enough to effectively cool the CPU/GPU.

DrMindRiot likes this.
  5. DrMindRiot

Reputations:
    Wow really. So, if repasting with liquid metal does not void the warranty, what if the liquid metal leaks at some point in the future, due to gravity or something along those lines? I will be traveling back and forth between a hot country, so, the laptop will experience hotter ambient temperature on average and will always find itself in my backpack. I'm concerned the hotter ambient temps plus position will cause a leak, which may short my computer. I tend to agree with you regarding galinstan and how effective it can be, CPU's and GPU's are powerful and will produce a lot of heat no matter what. It would have been nice to see a 3rd fan in the refresh as in the MSI GS65. Finally, do you own one of the new blades? I've heard that they are not as well built as initially suspected, do you have any info regarding that?

Vistar Shook likes this.
  6. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    This guy doesn’t know even Blade 1070maxq is already capable playing overwatch on 4K 60fps;)

Vistar Shook likes this.
  7. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    I use liquid ultra on my rb2016/1060 and rbp2017/1060, I carry both around and neither have “leaked” liquid metal. I used t carry around much heavier Alienware and never had a problem with their liquid metal applications either. Liquid metal likes to stick to itself, it doesn’t magically fly out so long as you haven’t used excessive amounts and your heatsink is tightened down all the way, provided it fits well. Heat has nothing to do with the state of the liquid metal, so long as you do not exceed the rated temperature, which is far beyond anything you would ever encounter short of a fire. I have no protection in any of my systems, I just know not to apply globs and globs of liquid metal, just a tiny dot on the die and another tiny dot on the heatsink, spread both out, tighten down the heatsink, then remove the heatsink again to check how it has spread out after a day or so.

New “advanced” RB models are equipped with a vapor chamber heatsink that covers all the critical components, but can further be improved with usage of liquid metal compounds and better quality thermal pads provided they are exactly the same thickness. The “base” models should be avoided at all costs as they do not use a vapor chamber heatsink and also leave the PCH completely uncooled, which is a recipe for disaster.

On the top of all this, every blade should be undervolted on every possible setting, preferably in the BIOS (which you have to custom unlock and reflash to access those features) so that the value is always in effect. I use throttlestop to find the stable values then apply them in the BIOS.

In the case of my RBP, my fans are not active at idle or web browsing, and they never enter jet mode when gaming. CPU/GPU temps never exceed 70C even when fully loaded. It’s the only way to prolong the life of your blade.

VonCrisp and DrMindRiot like this.
  8. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I think recently I saw somewhere, maybe on Reddit some Blade 15 user found a hole in his mobo or cpu after checking his LM result, don’t remember exactly due liquid metal and become paperweight when I’m not wrong, wrong repasting job? Or maybe there’s no enough room inside that for a proper LM?

Vistar Shook likes this.
  9. DrMindRiot

Reputations:
    Very interesting, thanks for sharing all the info. Truly appreciate it.

10. VonCrisp

VonCrisp Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Very good post. Would this need to be done for every BIOS update that Razer pushes out? Any good source for Advanced Unlock for the Razer?