Razer Blade 15 RTX update

Discussion in 'Razer' started by Joikansai, Jan 7, 2019.

1. HeavyUser

HeavyUser Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    [QUOTE="Jinh0o, post: 10872273, member: 567021"One issue I am facing though is with nvidia drivers. I can't seem to be able to install standard drivers, even with DDU/windows 10 update to latest 1809/17763 build. What is the nvidia driver version that comes stock with the razer blade rtx 2070?[/QUOTE]

You need to install GeForce Experience, then install the driver through that.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
  2. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Blade 15 rtx 2060 dominate 3Dmark leader board on 8750H class.
    Firestrike
    Timespy
    2080maxq Blade 15 surpassed 22K graphics score.
    Not bad for thin light categories:bigyes:

3. knibbler

knibbler Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Dat vapor chamber doe!

I notice by keeping the 2080 under 70c it really helps the cpu to cool well. Keeping the fans noise down.

Thats great gpu temps at auto fans with a 140mhz overclock.

4. Zill

Zill Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi guys!

Finally received my RB 15 2070MQ, loving it so far. Huge step up from the TongFang 15 chassis (in terms of build quality not sure about value lol) but I'm running into some teething issues I guess...

I seem to be having issues with msi afterburner holding the OC that I apply. Is this caused by having Synapse open at the same time? Do you guys uninstall it? There doesn't seem to be any difference in performance using the Game profile vs the creators? Am I missing something?

Also I think I'm running bios ver 1.02 is this the latest ? There doesn't seem to be a download page on the Razer website to check if I'm running the latest firmware.

5. knibbler

knibbler Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Because of the power limit any overclock in afterburner just "encourages" the clock to go higher when it can. Improves the average but not necessarily by the the full frequency you have added.

Zill likes this.
  6. Zill

Zill Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

Ok thanks, what are your Firestrike and TimeSpy scores? Just wanna see if I'm getting the expected performance:

I get around 19 500ish in FS Graphics with an OC and TimeSpy was 7 295 on Graphics with OC as well. Is that kinda ok?

I was hoping to see better scores with the Razer having a 90W TDP power limit but I guess that is still around 10% better than the average 2070MQ's in thin and lights out there..? So no bad I guess...

Is it true that the OC we apply only show in synthetic benchmarks and have almost no effect in real game applications?

Sounds weird to me, I know theres a power limit but if your frequency is higher surely it has an impact on FPS, am I missing something?

Cheers guys!

PS: Is it worth getting rid of Synapse?

Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
  7. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That’s great score imo, only 1,5K difference with 2080maxq Blade normal OC that i saw. If you’ve thermal head room you should be getting better FPS with your OC profile, you can compare FPS achievement on stock with Notebookcheck 2070mq gaming FPS. Or check in game benchmark between your stock and OC profile, i get 5 to 10fps bump on 1070maxq Blade. And yes for some non cpu demanding titles power limit throttling isn’t big deal, though you can still get max 3,9 GHz on lower tdp like 35 or 25 watt.
    PS: Can you Check both creator and gaming mode, click it and open afterburner to see default core and memory OC, I heard rtx Blade doesn’t apply OC value, meanwhile on 2018 1070mq it’s automatically +100 Core/+300 Memory.

Zill likes this.
  8. Zill

Zill Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yeah its nice that Razer configured the 2070 and 2080 MQ with the slightly higher 90W TDP power limit. It shows they have done good work with their cooling system and taking advantage of it and care about the enthusiast gamers! I'm struggling to find data comparing it to the 80W 2070 MQ's out there but I think Razer and Asus are the only OEMs that are using the slightly more powerful TDP on their Max-Q skus.

Even before undervolting the CPU it wasn't thermal throttling (almost though lol) but basically this are the tweaks I've done so far:

Synapse: Game Mode
    CPU: XTU undervolt -.125mv
    MSI Afterburner: +100 core +600 mem

And I think its running ok. CPU and GPU stay cool and performance feels good. Is there any further adjustments you guys have been playing with?

I have some DDR4 Samsung B-die laying around with really nice timings that need to go replace the stock ram but I am waiting for my 1TB SSD upgrade to swap that out all at the same time... that should help scrape a few extra points in Cinebench and 3DMark physics score just for fun!

Overall, the more I'm using it the more its seducing me

9. wickette

wickette Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yes, I'm really pleased with my 2080max-Q I feel that I made the right choice regarding the max-Q laptops : This is the best one out there, others are nearly as expensive and really don't cool components as well, plus the build quality is far superior then the GS65 for instance.

Just that you need to slightly lower the turbo multipliers and undervolt. The factory thermal paste is great.

Zill likes this.
  10. Zill

Zill Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I still manage to get right on the limit of thermal throttling in certain games but I haven't played with any Turbo limitations, I just gave a simple -.125mv undervolt and left it at that. It seems to work well enough, tbh I don't really care how hot the CPU runs as long as I'm getting all the performance from it lol!

I have been struggling to run Anthem over 60 fps at 1440p, I know this game is very demanding but was hoping for better performance.... I'm trying not to have any regrets not getting the 2080 MQ but this is a bad game for that!

On the other hand, pretty impressed with Far Cry New Dawn, the 2070 MQ runs it really well at 1440p, I'm averaging 75-80 FPS on High settings. This game really likes the Turing arch by the look of things. I'm getting almost same performance as a full GTX 1080.... not bad I reckon

Do you have Anthem or Far Cry New Dawn? I would be interested to hear what kind of improvements you're getting over the 2070 MQ

Looks like I've got a bit of a dud of a GPU, it will only hold +90 on the core and +600 on mem 100% stable... it will go higher but I get the occasional crash so not worth it. I know OCing is kinda pointless on a laptop with limited TDP but its always nice when you get silicon that allows you that little extra free performance!

At the end of the day I think it might've been worth me holding on for the 2080 MQ but you do get diminishing returns in terms of value which I couldn't get my head around and also this is not mean to be my primary gaming rig so I don't really know why I'm looking for more GPU performance, I'm just a sucker for fast laptops with really fast GPUs in them!