Razer Blade 15 RTX update

Discussion in 'Razer' started by Joikansai, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Dude on that clock it’s better buying 7700HQ if I’ve to run 1ghz less. To me that’s nonsense buying 8750H and running and limiting boost on 3gHz it’s your choice though, and yes Notebookcheck runs always on stock so it’s sucks as reference, poeple mostly undervolting on their gaming laptop.
    Here my 6 cores cpu inside 2Kg Laptop cassis running Anthem around an hour, no Core limitation stock paste only undervolting @-130. On gaming with turbo boost on, you need to see temperature average not max, Notebookcheck high temperature because maybe it spike to highest temperature but not stay there long, and maybe reviewers doesn’t care at all about temperature unlike owners. A91B9C66-CDC4-4D27-8BE4-141FBEF89805.jpeg 4D4F672E-8D0D-4473-989C-401DB6711CB6.jpeg

2. wickette

wickette Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I want to have low temperature and maximum safety, it’s my choice to limit to 3.0Ghz not something I MUST do for my laptop to work, but I have exactly your temps (max 93C) without any turbo limit, the 125mV undervolt and with a 2080max-Q. I only care about max temp since throttling or thermal shutdown occurs when max temperature is reached, on average I’m 10C+ lower than you (with turbo limit of course) but It’s my choice, games use GPU nowadays and 6-cores running @ 3Ghz is enough for me. I don’t care if I have 112fps and not 120.

For me the CPU are badly designed whereas the GPU are great so no point in buying a 7700HQ since it’s paired with a last gen Pascal, I still have a significant fps increase.

My 6700hq used to reach 95C ln my AW15R3 so it’s the whole 14nm process that is flawed, can’t stop reading horror stories about CPU thermals since broadwell tbh, can’t wait for the real new CPU :)

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
  3. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yes it’s users preferred tweaking their core clock, I meant it’s to me. On that video I showed before, it was not good temperature for his device, need undervolting and use balanced mode if it’s spike stable on high 90ish. Btw above was gaming mode, with balanced it’s never crossed mid 80ish. But I don’t want to make my cpu lazy:D, if it’s not thermal throttling I push it on its max, if it throttle even on crippled balanced mode I’ll repasting it, if it doesn’t bring improvement I’ll send it back let manufacturer do their job fixing it:).
    Yes I’m agree and want to see as well new mobile cpu that is more energy efficient without loosing huge performance on thin light category laptop.

wickette likes this.
  4. IKAS V

IKAS V Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    How much does this affect performance when gaming and does it help with the fan noise under load?
    I like the idea though as long as it helps with temps and noise levels when gaming, so you have a RTX RB 2080MQ?

5. wickette

wickette Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    How much does it affect ?

Since I'm always above 60fps I didn't notice anything.

Regarding noise, I noticed a good improvement since I'm 10+°C lower the fan are running on another treshhold. tbh regarding noise I'm really satisfied because I had an Alienware before that and it was so noisy, even on stock the razer felt comfortable.

IKAS V likes this.
  6. IKAS V

IKAS V Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    That’s great the hear! Thanks.
    How is the 1080P matte screen? Speakers? and does yours have coil whine that I’ve been hearing too many owners have.
    I’m coming from RB 14 with GTX 870M and the screen was great even though it was glossy, screen was nice and bright with pretty good color reproduction.

7. wickette

wickette Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yes definitely coil whine is here in game when the Nvidia GPU is under heavy use. if you play with low noise with earphone (not headphone, earphones) you will not hear them. It's sadly a common thing nowadays, I had a dell XPS 13 and the coil whine was horrendous. Here it's high but I don't care, in the end I look at the pros and cons and the pros win by far :).

Screen is awesome, approx 300nits, well-lit, good contrast and color reproduction. Speaker is solid. Matte is different from Glossy, I prefer Glossy because it has a better image quality feel but this is clearly one of the best matte screen I tried.

If you can't stand coil whine one bit I think Razer will disappoint you, the majority of Blades have coil whine.

IKAS V likes this.
  8. IKAS V

IKAS V Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Is the 2080MQ able to fully utilize the 1080p 144Hz Gsync screen for most games at Ultra/Very high settings?
    I’m also looking at a full RTX 2080 laptop but with a discount the RB is cheaper so just wondering if going with a full RTX 2080 is worth the extra $200-$300.
    You have been very helpful and I thank you.

9. wickette

wickette Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    If raw performance is important for you and you don’t really care about the form factor/battery life etc the normal RTX2080 is really more powerful, I find myself between 60 and 120fps most of the time. The normal 2080 is like 20-30% more powerful it’s huuge so really if you don’t mind things like thickness, weight and battery life, just take a beast 2080 you will have a more future-proof laptop. The 2080max-Q is as powerful as a notebook 2070.

IKAS V likes this.
  10. omer.sak

omer.sak Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I've had the RB 15 with 2080 since Thursday last week and it's been pretty positive overall. There is a bit of screen bleed and some coil whine, but the machine runs very cool when gaming and almost whisper quite.

However, I'm having huge issues with the trackpad.

It works fine upon boot and restart but then it suddenly stops registering swipes and taps and becomes pretty unresponsive in general. A restart or turning the trackpad on and off does fix the issue, but then it returns after a while.

More interestingly, I observed that it starts instantly misbehaving when I change something in Synapse - for example, chaning the refresh rate to 60Hz when on battery, or activating gaming mode. the trackpad instantly becomes a mess. Does anyone else have any issues?

Some benchmark scores in anyone's interested - sorry, I'm at work and I can't post the detailed results/screen caps:
    Firestrike (auto fans, stock profile, -0.0125 UV): 17,842 overall, 21,004 graphics. CPU Max 85C and GPU Max 76C

IKAS V likes this.