Razer Blade 15 RTX update

Discussion in 'Razer' started by Joikansai, Jan 7, 2019.

1. AlexRiker

AlexRiker Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Anybody else unable to access the nvidia control panel on the new RTX razer blades? This prevents me from accessing/tweaking optimus settings. I had changed out the SSD for a samsung evo

Goronok likes this.
  2. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    SSD doesn’t have something to do with nvidia control panel. Did you try reinstall nvidia drivers or use other versions? This is still new respectively new gpu some maybe there’s some bug with that version. Using egpu setting or external monitor may also bugging nvidia controll Panel access, restart may bring it back. Did you also try to access through control panel, there’s also nvidia control panel there, if your driver is installed rightly.

3. Goronok

Goronok Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm having the same issue. Also, my system insists on using a driver from late December even though Nvidia has much newer drivers posted for mobile RTX. What gives.

4. HAMSTERS

HAMSTERS Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Try use geforce experience to update drive

5. AlexRiker

AlexRiker Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    For my part, I bent over backwards to investigate this. I just bought the MaxQ 2070 razer, and initially tried just transplanting my 970 evo pro from my 1070 max q laptop and updating certain drivers. My experience was as follows:
    1. Just downloading the latest notebook RTX driver from nvidia (without geforce experience)- the driver would fail to recognize compatible hardware and fail to install altogether. This occurred regardless of installing/uninstalling intel drivers first, cleaning up all previous driver installs with DDU, safe mode, installation, etc. Windows update would identify but then fail to install an appropriate driver.
    2. If I downloaded geforce experience, I could download the nvidia driver through that. However, the driver did not include the nvidia control panel, and the nvidia GPU remained active in some form (I didn't have access to optimus settings), so that scenario torpedoed battery life.
    3. I tried the original drive (that shipped with the notebook) again, and noticed that the nvidia control panel did work on that install/image. So, I ended up cloning the shipped image from the 256gb drive onto the 970 pro. I lost/gave up everything else that was on the drive, but I can reinstall all that; and now I have the control panel which allows me to use optimus properly; and get appropriate battery life.

We really need razer to post their drivers on the support page (for some reason the razer blade stealth has a 2019 driver page but this razer blade does not).

6. knibbler

knibbler Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Undervolting is super easy and should be done on any/every laptop.
    The stock voltage is designed to meet the requirements of even the worst/ underperforming of each manufacturers laptops. So each one will work 100% out of the box. Its seems a lot of people can get -.140mv undervolt on the blade with the 8750h and it helps a lot!

IKAS V likes this.
  7. knibbler

knibbler Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I experienced this with the 417 and 418 drivers. Evenutally I manually installed a generic display driver ( couldn't find basic vga driver) Then reinstalled 418 and the control panel showed up. Weird stuff.

IKAS V likes this.
  8. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    This’s a part true but not quite, low wattage ultrabook cpu doesn’t (didn’t) need that at all since it’s already low tdp but nowadays manufacturers slimming their laptops and in other hand intel makes more and more powerful cpu that needs to cool properly and some thin light notebooks and ultrabook can’t handle it well. This video may explain that well and also the reason why a lot manufactures cripple their laptops cpu performance and Apple use weak Y cpu on their MacBook Air 2018 not U cpu that apparently a lot poeple want.

I can say this from my 7 years old MacBook Pro 13 and 2 years old ultrabook experience, I need undervolting when I pair those with eGPU setting but it’s another story.

9. IKAS V

IKAS V Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I’m just trying to figure out how much UV helps, I’ve seen stock RB RTX models with very high CPU temps so what I’m trying to figure out is how much actual temps are reduced, if temps are in the high 90’s could you shave 10 degrees off , 5?
    This is a very expensive laptop that I want to last for 2-3 years so I’m just trying to cover all the bases before buying.
    Thanks for your reply, it does help.

10. wickette

wickette Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Dude, You know by now that nearly all laptop running a 6 core Coffee lake have bad stock temperatures.

I invite you to look at the notebookcheck review of the 2019 ASUS DTR (that HUGE laptop) where in witcher 3 at stock it reaches ...97°C !

So either people still lie to themselves and think current laptops can handle that non 45W CPU, or they take matter in their own hands and decrease the turbo limit, undervolt the CPU and/or (extreme, last resort) use conductonaut.

Only 7/10nm will save us, Intel made a horrible gaming CPU that reaches dangerous temperatures.

For people that want their razer blade to last : I decreased to 3.0Ghz max the turbo when running 4/5/6 cores and put a -125mV on core/cache and -50mV on the iGPU.

max temperatures 80°C and my games run very well (usually low 70s °C buut demanding games can reach up to 77-80°C which for me is perfect) . Razer did nothing wrong here, they have the best max-Q laptop imho, Intel is the culprit.

IKAS V likes this.