Razer Blade 15 RTX update

Discussion in 'Razer' started by Joikansai, Jan 7, 2019.

1. yggdra.omega

yggdra.omega Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Heaven benchmark
    50mV underclock
    Fans 100%
    Gaming mode enabled
    1080p

FPS: 105.5
    Score: 2657
    Min FPS: 9.1
    Max FPS: 224.9

[​IMG]

Heaven settings
    Render: DX11
    Mode: 1080p 8xAA fullscreen
    Quality: Ultra
    Tessellation: Extreme

2. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    @yggdra.omega did you finish with all benchmarks? You can still increase your 3Dmark especially on firestrike or maybe other benchmarks if you want.

3. yggdra.omega

Reputations:
    I was losing steam for sure, hahaha. What are some steps to increase? I didn't know anyone else was still interested, but I'm down for more testing

4. yggdra.omega

Reputations:
    Rise of the Tomb Raider benchmark
    1080p
    50mV underclock
    Gaming mode via Synapse
    Fans 100%
    Very High default settings
    DX12 enabled
    FXAA
    Vsync Double Buffered

[​IMG]

Joikansai likes this.
  5. yggdra.omega

Reputations:
    Interestingly enough, here's my desktop with a STRIX 2080 Ti and 9900K, stock with identical settings as the RB15:

[​IMG]

Joikansai likes this.
  6. yggdra.omega

Reputations:
    Ashes of the Singularity benchmarks:

DX12 GPU Focused - Crazy Settings - 1080p - Vsync off - Gaming mode enabled via Synapse - Fans 100% - 50mV underclock
    [​IMG]

DX12 CPU Focused - Crazy Settings - 1080p - Vsync off - Gaming mode enabled via Synapse - Fans 100% - 50mV underclock
    [​IMG]

DX11 GPU Focused - Crazy Settings - 1080p - Vsync off - Gaming mode enabled via Synapse - Fans 100% - 50mV underclock
    [​IMG]

Joikansai likes this.
  7. yggdra.omega

Reputations:
    My desktop for comparison

DX12 GPU Focused - Crazy Settings - 1080p - Vsync off - Stock clocks - ROG STRIX RTX 2080Ti - i9 9900K
    [​IMG]

DX12 CPU Focused - Crazy Settings - 1080p - Vsync off - Stock clocks - ROG STRIX RTX 2080Ti - i9 9900K
    [​IMG]

Joikansai likes this.
  8. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yes we’re doing gaming not firestrike. On my egpu setting my firestrike is also waay under anyone here who put firestrike scores on their signature, but on real gaming usage in some titles I get similar or even better FPS than desktop or notebook dgpu FPS that listed on notebookcheck. My reaction was like you “interesting“
    You can bump your performance by doing OC scanner on afterburner and look +value on core you achieved, and from that increasing a bit until benchmarks like firestrike crashing. Is your cpu undervolting value only max-50mv, it could be also decreased lower imo, because my 8750H can easily stable on -120, I can use for firestrike even -160 but for daily I use -130, since lower than that may crash the game sometimes.

hmscott likes this.
  9. AlexRiker

AlexRiker Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I've been considering picking up one of these new RTX blades but I have one concern
    All my benchmarking in actual games on the 2018 razer blade with 1070 showed me the surprising result that the CPU would thermal throttle to such a degree (in most games locked at baseclock 2.2ghz) that I was largely CPU bottlenecked. And yes, that's even with 130mv undervolt. Assassin's creed origins and odyssey were a good example of this. Easy to get great burst performance in benchmarks but the sustained gaming performance was very compromised by CPU thermals.

Are you able to test some real world games and use a hardware monitor to test your CPU and GPU temps? And to see what CPU frequency the laptop is able to hold in some triple A titles?

I don't want to spring for an upgrade to turing if the CPU throttling is such that I continue to be CPU bottlenecked anyway

hmscott likes this.
  10. wickette

wickette Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    What are your max temperatures and FPS when you're gaming ?

AC:Odyssey is a GPU intensive game that struggles to reach 50fps on my normal 1070, so I doubt that it's your CPU that is limiting you in that game.
    For Origin it was better but I had dips in the 50ish fps with my 1070, again GPU limited.

Sadly, many laptops out there are struggling to cool the 8750H, still don't understand why max-Q laptop just don't go with the 4C/8T i5 coffee lake chips. But repasting + undervolting greatly helps.

hmscott likes this.