Razer Blade 15 Mid-2019 RAM Upgrade Questions

Discussion in 'Razer' started by DarkenMoon, Aug 11, 2019.

1. DarkenMoon

DarkenMoon Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello, I recently got my RB15 with a 2080MQ and I am loving it so far. However, I notice that I am CPU limited in some of the games I play, most notably TF2 and old versions of Minecraft. I am looking to also upgrade to 32GB of RAM as well, so finding the fastest RAM with the lowest timings possible would be nice (CL19 2666mhz is no bueno). I know that this laptop supposedly supports XMP profiles, so I want to get a set of RAM that will work with the laptop. I have seen conflicting information on if 3200Mhz RAM works or not for this model. I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction, or if I need to do trial and error.

Thanks,
    DarkenMoon

2. Muezick

Muezick Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    https://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Technology-HyperX-Impact-HX432S20IB2/dp/B07BGLKD4M?th=1

Buy this. Stuff it in there. If it doesn't work, tell amazon that, and get a free refund.

3200mhz sodimms feel like they're still pretty new, so as you said, information is not super clear on the matter. Perhaps you could report your findings to the owners lounge afterwards?

it's worth noting that getting low timings on laptop memory isn't really a thing afiak ... and 3200mhz at CL20 isn't gonna be much better than 2666@19 (Though I am sure it IS better, but likely by a marginal amount). And based on how my RB2018 Base model works with ram, the XMP profiles you speak of are likely baked into the bios and applied automatically based on the RAM inserted. Aka it's a marketing buz thing for them to claim it supports XMP, where in reality, all it does is sets the ram to the detected factory speed and timing and they are calling that XMP, instead of giving you the option to actually overclock the ram.

DarkenMoon and rb6freak like this.
  3. Hackintoshihope

Hackintoshihope AlienMeetsApple

Reputations:
    I’ve managed to unlock the XMP option in the razer blade vbios. If you are still wanting to do this I can walk you through some steps to accomplish this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. HandsomeGhost

HandsomeGhost Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey @Hackintoshihope Im interested in this. Also I unlocked the memory settings in the bios but when I change the profile or numbers it reverts to the default settings. Did you overclock your ram?

5. Hackintoshihope

Reputations:
    Haven’t found a way for overclocking stock ram to work in the bios... I’m stuck at the same point as you... however I have xmp profiles working where the 3000MHz kit I bought works as it should.

6. HandsomeGhost

HandsomeGhost Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Oh okay nice. at least you can change your profile.

7. Flonky

Flonky Newbie

Reputations:
  8. Flonky

Flonky Newbie

Reputations:
    After Reading some conversations about the ram thing, it seems like getting Dual Rank is more or less a lottery thing.

I think Kingston and Crucial are providing Info about Rank.

9. DarkenMoon

DarkenMoon Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I ultimately did get 3200mhz Ram, but it apparently isn't as stable as a thought. It was good at first, or so I thought. I randomly started running into issues where applications would crash to desktop and the occasional bluescreen. Setting the ram back to 2400mhz made the stability issues go away. But since I stripped my screws getting the bottom back on, I need to get new screws and find a way to get the old ones out, and then return the ram and get 2666mhz ram with the lowest timings possible. Oh well, live and learn I guess. It's disappointing since I really want the best single threaded performance possible, in a laptop.

10. Hackintoshihope

Reputations:
    You don’t want to go above 3000MHz in most laptops. Above those levels you will have compatibility problems with some kits.