Razer Blade 15.6" (GTX 1060/1070, 2018 edition) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Razer' started by X33nbat, May 20, 2018.

1. jlp0209

jlp0209 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    This is why I haven't pulled the trigger yet, same experience as you on my former 7700hq Blade. Ran like a dream. Throttling in a "top of the line" CPU combined with an already gimped GPU in the 1070 max-q really has me on the fence, leaning toward a 'no-buy.'

8th Gen mobile offerings so far have really been a disappointment for me (even my X1 Carbon quad core, although it is solely used for work so I don't really care about throttling). I would never waste money on a desktop CPU or PC that behaves like this. I know all laptops over the years have had various thermal and power issues, but something just seems so wrong to me with this latest gen. Too many compromises. As others have said, too much power for these thin laptops. To each his own.

2. Firebat246

Firebat246 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    To be clear... the laptop definitely runs better than my 7700HQ with 1060 did. I am not knocking the laptop as a whole because the 144hz screen, non soldered Ram, GPU (still stronger than 1060), bigger screen etc are all great improvements. I just wish I was able to unlock all the power of this CPU without starting a fire... but its just a VERY powerful CPU to have it a laptop this thin. Asus, MSI, and any other manufacturer of thin and lights are all experiencing the same. To me this is still the best thin and light gaming laptop to go with.

raz8020, jlp0209 and Petrov like this.
  3. jlp0209

jlp0209 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Agree, this Blade is a beast and I love it. I didn't mean the Blade is a disappointment, I meant (and you agree) that all manufacturers have had to make compromises with 8th gen 6 cores. This part I just don't like. I'm sure I'll cave at some point and buy the Blade. It pained me when I sold the 7700hq Blade, but it was time.

4. Petrov

Petrov Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Has anyone had issues with their 3.5mm jack? Mine just intermittently stops working - I plug in ear phones and nothing happens, sound continues to come out the speakers. Happens in games and just web surfing (eg yourtube). Am I doing something silly?

5. cookinwitdiesel

cookinwitdiesel Retired Bencher

Reputations:
    Well my testing has abruptly come to a close. Saw that the screen here uses a 40 pin eDP and got excited so I popped off the whole lid (pretty easy to do) and plugged it into my AW 15 to see if that would work (also eDP 40-pin). I got a cute melodic tone and then a 3-2-1 beep tone from my AW. No dice. Put the screen back on the Blade, nada. Backlight comes on but that is it. So wiped the SSD and will take it back tomorrow. Do not think I will get a 2nd Blade at this point. While I love the form-factor to death and the screen is stunning, the thermals/acoustics are just not where I would like them to be and it is a sideways performance move for me.

My biggest takeaway from this whole exercise is that 144 Hz is much better than I was expecting and now has me looking into what screen upgrade options I have for my AW 15. I will keep popping in and giving comment when I see something interesting though :)

6. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hmm, I remember that my core setting could cool the 7700HQ cpu from 81 to 73 pairing with 1080ti. So at home mostly i use the core. But I tempted to get 1070maxq just for idk fun?, before I was planning to get 1060 144Hz because I play mostly with the core for better experience like thermal and fan noise (stealth cpu isn’t good enough for my gaming needs), still confused on which one should I get:/ Any input?

7. Assault

Assault Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    1070 is stronger than typical max Q, and even runs cooler than the 1060 from what data I've seen so far. Definitely worth grabbing it instead!

Joikansai likes this.
  8. childprotectorofthenight

childprotectorofthenight Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Can I limit the turbo boost range in throttlestop or another program? And should I be worried about a slight buzzing sound from the power brick. Didn’t notice it until I leaned closer. WHY DO THE FANS RAMP UP WHENVER I"M BROWSING THE WEB, like this website for example. I am using chrome. There is also a strange clicky sound everytime I load a new page?? Sorry for the double post.

9. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I see, I’m probably get that one. I hope Razer Core could cool down a bit the CPU like my previous setting. Meantime hope someone find the tweak or Razer updates the bios to be more accessible like late 2016 model or I will open it my self...with asking here and there of course;) to cool the cpu without re-pasting. Too lazy opening the new Blade:D
    On power setting option, advance, Set power settings to 99% max CPU power in order to disable turbo boost completely.

Assault likes this.
  10. Petrov

Petrov Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Use Throttlestop to limit turboboost. The limit multiples are in the FIVR page - you can also underclock the CPU on this page. Make sure you save them.

My power brick buzzes too - more than the usual power brick buzzing I've heard over the years, it's almost crackling. I spoke to Razor and sent them audio/video - they said to take it to the MS store for them to order a replacement. I'll pop in tomorrow and see what the wait time is (I'd like to keep using it until then).

What fan profile are you using in Synapse? My fans ramp up at weird times too sometimes, but not all the time when I'm browsing, just occasionally.

P.