Razer Blade 15.6" (GTX 1060/1070, 2018 edition) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Razer' started by X33nbat, May 20, 2018.

1. Assault

Assault Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Not going to lie, I dropped my clock speeds down to 3ghz whole playing Fortnite and didn't experience really any FPS drops, what I did experience was some amazing temp drops though. Hovering at or below 80c CPU temp almost the entire time. I'm going to start doing my homework on what games need/want when it comes to hardware and FPS. I can totally sacrifice a few frames for dramatic temp drops.

hfm likes this.
  2. Assault

Assault Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

3. Firebat246

Firebat246 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I did a ton of firestrike tests last night and I seem to be mostly sitting around 14500. It's mostly in line with other laptops specced the same. I messed with TS and XTU... And while you have a little more control in TS it made no difference than just undervolting in xtu and not messing with anything else. Clocks will fluctuate all over but I don't see any real hit to performance in games. CPU manages to average 3.6ish GHz sometimes a little higher.

To be dead honest these 8750H cpu's are a little too strong for thinner laptops. If we can get this bios modded and hold our 3.9-4ghz speeds I highly doubt thermally any of these machines can handle it without LM. I don't want to jump to conclusions but I can almost guarantee you it's going to be the case.

Sent from my Phone using Tapatalk

raz8020 likes this.
  4. cookinwitdiesel

cookinwitdiesel Retired Bencher

Reputations:
    So played Diablo 3 for a couple hours last night. Turned the Razer Synapse setting to Gaming Mode and the Windows Power Setting to Max Performance. Something about this combination must have changed a threshold because my CPU bounced off 100c and the CPU package apparently hit 103c according to HWinfo64. I have not undervolted anything yet. The thermals may not be as magical as I originally hoped :| If nothing else, if I return the Blade, I will definitely be seeking out a 144 Hz screen for my AW 15 lol - definitely have my life changed on that one

5. Firebat246

Firebat246 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You really can't use windows power settings at max performance. It tries to force higher CPU clock speeds even when not needed and it will spike temps way way up.

Sent from my Phone using Tapatalk

6. cookinwitdiesel

Reputations:
    Interesting, have not messed with it much. Kind of backed out of the benchmarking and performance tuning scene back in 2012 when still on Windows 7, lot has changed since then. Back to learning how to tune the OS properly :)

7. Requiemsky

Requiemsky Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    some of ya'll are like "max performance!!! push it to the limit!!!" "omg HEAT AHHHHH!!!!!!"... but seriously, when you are just playing games and you limit CPU turbo to, say, 3 -3.4 ghz, you wont see anything above 85 degrees. at 3ghz i get 80 max with 0 frame rate drops, no shuttering, and basically the same performance. I get that the laptop CAN do 4.1.. but ask yourself... do you honestly need/use 4.1

Assault and cookinwitdiesel like this.
  8. cookinwitdiesel

Reputations:
    Words of wisdom here. To be clear, I am just beating up on the laptop while in the 30 day return window to know what I am signing up for if I decide to keep it. During day-to-day usage and gaming I would never run it at full tilt, it is only a 1080p screen lol, what am I worried about on performance?!

9. Requiemsky

Requiemsky Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    yeah man . like I get it, I really do with some of these guys. If you buy a laptop with specs, you should be able to use it at max with no issues. But these new CPUs literally cannot be cooled enough in a thin and light. So it's no big deal to limit it a bit and still have a fantastic laptop with great performance. Luckily, only the CPU has issues and I havent had my GPU go over 80 degrees yet playing games.

I may be old school but I don't care about firestrike scores and what not. Does it play games at max, does it work properly, and is it reliable is all I ask and want. And after limiting the CPU in throttlestop, I'v never been happier

hfm likes this.
  10. Petrov

Petrov Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    How do you limit the CPU turbo to 3-3.4gh exactly? XTU doesn't let you downclock the multipliers...?