Razer Blade 15.6" (GTX 1060/1070, 2018 edition) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Razer' started by X33nbat, May 20, 2018.

1. pdagal

pdagal Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Graphite paste is not electrically conductive.

ilzalith, Assault and raz8020 like this.
  2. Petrov

Petrov Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    What’s the justification for paying $250 extra to get this through an online retailer like HIDEvolution versus through Razer directly? I’d like to use HID, but the 1070/512 is going for $250 more and that’s before $100 for their panel quality check (to ensure you don’t get something in the bottom 80% of panels) and the cost of HID repasting....? I must be missing something(s). Any help appreciated!

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
  3. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    HIDevolution's Warranty and service is stellar;
    Razer will try their best to take 0 responsibility for any problems especially if they are supposed to be covered under warranty. They have the worst customer service in the business.

It is advised in many places to never buy from Razer directly

4. HAMSTERS

HAMSTERS Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Razer has a newer bios 1.03 released foe the Blade 15. You can simply ask the tech support, they will provide you a link to download the Bios application. They didn't mention anything about this new bios. They sent this bios to me because I was talking to them about CPU overheating. Unfortunately, the new bios couldn't solve overheating issue.

Vistar Shook likes this.
  5. dgreen9

dgreen9 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    For what it's worth I received a replacement Blade 15 in a week because mine was overheating and the ac adapter was noisy. They were great about it.

6. Petrov

Petrov Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Many thanks for the explanation. I'm really stuck as I'd like to support HID, but I can get an additional one year of warranty through the MS store (of which we have one locally) for $120 currently (vs $350 at HID for an extra year), and also save $250 on the base cost. And yet... the repasting and dead pixel guarantee are both interesting. Hmmm! In any case, thanks again for the prompt response!

7. Metalocalypse

Metalocalypse Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Can you give link pls or upload it somewhere?

8. Vistar Shook

Vistar Shook Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Razer does have a higher RMA rate than other vendors, proven in their financials, which show a much higher warranty expense in relation to revenue compared to others, so perhaps that is why HIDevolution chargers more to begin with on Razer notebooks. Their other notebooks, from other OEMs are in line with retail prices. Being a boutique vendor, they offer configuration options, repasting, extra warranty, etc....where they can charge more for the service.
    For the Razer Blade in particular, the MS store is a better option, due to price on the extra warranty, unless you want HID to do the Liquid Metal application, which is still not clear how much it will benefit the new RB, since there is little information yet from users who tried. Liquid Metal benefits, really depends if the cooling, especially the fans, can put out the heat quick enough. On my SC17 1080 model I got at least 15-20C benefit with LM (so instead of a 4.1GHz overclock on the CPU 24/7, I can go for 4.6GHz 24/7), but I think with the RB the benefit will be much less over a good thermal paste (kryonaut, gelid extreme, nanogrease extreme, cooler mastergel,etc). Also HIDevolution extra cost over MS store might be useful for international consumers, because of their global warranty, which is not your case, I suppose.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
    raz8020, Darkhan and Petrov like this.
  9. Firebat246

Firebat246 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Got really busy over the weekend. I will say that there has been an improvement from stock paste to Thermal Grizzly Kyronaut. I'm about half done with my second half of testing. I have a ton of screen's based on different variations of testing I did. So I may pick and choose the more important tests unless requested otherwise.

Still seeing power limit throttling but that's a whole different beast I'm going to tackle and am working with Razer to get more details.

Sent from my Phone using Tapatalk

Halaja likes this.
  10. Trigger10

Trigger10 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Still having issues with my TrackPad as mentioned earlier. Razer support just sent me the Bios update which I'll be trying later on today. Here's the full email with the link and install instructions from Razer.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    I do apologize for the link and for the inconvenience. Please follow these steps below:

1. Please ensure you have installed all the latest Microsoft® Windows Operating Systems and Security Updates.

For help verifying your OS is up to date, please refer to the following Microsoft® article:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4027667/windows-update-windows-10

2. Ensure your Blade is plugged into a wall outlet and not running on battery alone before proceeding.

3. Please save any open documents on your computer and close all other programs before attempting this update

After that, please proceed with these steps:

1. Download the Razer Updater from the following URL

https://dl.razer.com/drivers/BladeC1/RazerUpdater_v1.1.0.7_C1-BIOSv0103.exe

2. The Razer Updater will automatically download to your default download destination (this should be the Downloads folder unless this has been manually changed)

NOTE: Be advised/reminded that during the BIOS update process of your Razer Blade 15-inch (2018) you will not be able to interact or save progress within other open applications. As such, it is strongly advised that you save your progress and close all other applications or programs prior to launching the Razer Updater and updating the system BIOS.

3. Click on RazerUpdater_ to begin the BIOS update process

4. The User Account Control window will pop up to confirm changes will be made by the application (as seen below). Click ‘Yes’ to allow the RazerUpdater_ application to launch.

5. The Blade Updater window will appear with details regarding your current BIOS version and the version your Razer Blade 15-inch (2018) will be updated to. (Please note, your BIOS version may be different than shown below. If your Blade is not in need of this update the updater will not proceed from this point)

6. Click “Update” to initiate the BIOS update process of your Razer Blade 15-inch (2018).

7. A progress bar will appear indicating the status and progression of the installation process. During the install process, you will not have access to other applications.

8. Once the progress bar reaches 100% completion, your Razer Blade 15-inch (2018) will restart automatically. No further action or steps are required after the progress bar reaches 100%. Once your Blade has restarted your BIOS will be updated.

Darkhan likes this.