Razer Blade 15.6" (GTX 1060/1070, 2018 edition) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Razer' started by X33nbat, May 20, 2018.

1. dgreen9

dgreen9 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have two of the original RB 2018's. Both had battery bloat in the past two months and I have replaced the batteries. One of them has a burned out webcam. These have seen fairly heavy use for the past two and a half years but have been run both undervolted and without turbo the entire time. Nearly always hooked into AC power as well. I kind of accept the battery bloat, but the webcam is fairly annoying. Also after the battery replacement the palm rests seem more warm than they had been in the past. Getting close to being the market for a new notebook and I'm at a loss for what to purchase at this point.

DrewN likes this.
  2. STiHiaL

STiHiaL Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have RBA 2018 with 1060MQ (nowadays it mostly in use by my family ) and my personal RBA 2018 with 1070MQ.
    First one already have faulty battery, webcam & mic. That's already hilarious =/ The second one have only broken mic so far.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      1.9 MB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      1.8 MB
      Views:
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2020
  3. parawizard

parawizard Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    RB15 baked out it's kryonaut in a few months with heavy gaming. Going to try liquid metal next. Vapor chamber already had liquid metal used on it from previous owner and it absorbed into the heatsink.

4. demberel

demberel Newbie

Reputations:
    I just reading 2018 posts. And I kinda shocked how they getting such low temp in firestrike.

I repasted, repadded my blade undervolt cpu to -190V, limited cpu to 3GHZ but unfortunately i got these results after 30 min Apex legends. Also the main concern is PCH, SSD hitting 80c, sometimes 90c.
    https://imgur.com/h7BpNNO
    https://imgur.com/NKY977S
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    just add more liquid metal ez

6. parawizard

Reputations:
    Exactly. Shouldn't absorb much more. Though going to try a barrier too. Got some super 33 tape already.

7. parawizard

Reputations:
    So I had a go at repairing the burn damage on my keyboard flex cable! I managed to repair both keys affected by the burn hole! It took a few hours of really careful work but got it working with no crosstalk between any keys!

Supplies:
    Circuit Scribe silver ink pen
    Really pointy sharp pair of tweezers
    Fiberglass sanding pen philmore PrepPen
    Super 33 electrical tape for masking

1) Mask off single trace with a piece of tape on both sides.
    2) On side of break with connector begin sanding with PrepPen closer to the burn hole.
    3) Continue sanding for 3-5 minutes.
    4) Check visually.
    5) Test continuity between sanded area and connector pins.
    6) Repeat until you have continuity or you can lightly scrap with someone very very pointy like a needle/sharp tweezers.
    7) Once you have continuity use the pen to create a trace in that area. As it dries the resistance will go down.
    8) Gently check continuity between new trace and pin on connector and adjacent pins. Fix any bridges to other pins by wiping away ink.
    9) Repeat process on other side of the break and then draw a trace between the two points reforming the circuit.
    10) Cover area of motherboard that sits on connector with Super 33+/88+ electrical tape or kapton tape.

Masking:
    [​IMG]
    Fully repaired:
    [​IMG]

ole!!! and RobotDoctor like this.
  8. parawizard

Reputations:
    Was watching some youtube and screen went green followed by a hard freeze. Looks like Nvidia GPU died. Can't install/uninstall drivers. Hitting memory faults and Video TDR Failures. Definitely won't be buying one of these again!

ole!!! and Papusan like this.
  9. Muezick

Muezick Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    yes because you can tell by the fact that razer is still in business and selling laptops, that literally all their GPUs fail

What about Nvidia? They made the chip that failed. maybe you should boycot them!

RobotDoctor likes this.
  10. Goracij

Goracij Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Wise decision. I refer to buying mine as a valuable life lesson :(
    You can go and try to source a motherboard on ebay (but they are still expensive even today) or resolder/replace the gpu (if that's the actual fault) - that would be cheaper than buying another one.
    Bulged batteries, failing camaera+mic, fragile plastic hinge covers, sound through mini jack socket, poor cooling, locked bios settings, backlight bleeding.
    Everyone may add to this list (like the guy with the burned keyboard ribbon cable).
    No, you are right - they are doing great. While people that I won't name proceed sing them laudatory odes, Razer would get a constant flow of customers.
    I'd suggest to make a glossary to see what fraction of users here with Razer laptops have/had hardware issues and how many users would buy it again.
    ps: forgot to mention total absence of the new replacement parts and immense price for a used ones.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2021