Razer Blade 15.6" (GTX 1060/1070, 2018 edition) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Razer' started by X33nbat, May 20, 2018.

1. Muezick

Muezick Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Going on month 18 on my 2018 blade and the battery, which sits at like 90+% full all the time, only has like 3% wear and i can still squeeze out like 5-6 hours out of it messing with the settings.

zero battery bloat.

I feel like the battery bloat was more of an isolated problem than folks were assuming. At least, in 2018 onwards.

Edit: I have the base model

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
  2. parawizard

parawizard Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Just noticed that my 2018 advanced touchpad is really difficult to click now and can see bloat pushing down the bottom of the case at the front. Between the battery bloat and it burning through it's own ribbon cable I am highly unimpressed.

Muezick likes this.
  3. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yes it’s known Blade issue if the trackpad hardly to click. Maybe thermal cooks the battery, thanks to aluminum unibody and literally only one heat output vent. They should change the body already like other two extra side heat output.
    Same here only +10 months older, early batch black vapor chamber. Since I’ve stealth for one go literally it’s sitting on my desk plugged on the wall 24/365, can get also 6+ hours by dimming things. Was waiting it bulged or whatsoever to upgrade to 2020 one, but maybe hold a little bit till ampere mobile and tiger lake cpu out.

4. Muezick

Muezick Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Oh I'm definitely waiting for the 3000 series blades before buying one.

I am also holding out hope on AMD models. It's slim but it's there lmao

5. RobotDoctor

RobotDoctor Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have had my 2018 Blade base model since mid-November 2018 so going on 21 months now. The bloat issue just started about 2-3 weeks ago. The only reason I noticed and suspected it is because of those experiencing battery bloat saying they had track pad mouse button click difficulties at the beginning of their situations. This seemed to be a common scenario. I certainly hope this is an isolated issue but at least there is something to be aware of.

6. parawizard

Reputations:
    I took the battery out and it's only one side of the battery that feels like it's full of gas. I can gently push down on and see it puff out at the other end of the left side. Right side is flat and hard like it should be. Don't think I will be buying another one of these. Battery still works great but it's turning into a balloon...

7. RobotDoctor

RobotDoctor Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The computer has been terrific up to this point. I hope that Razer sources batteries from a different vendor who makes reliable batteries. I would definitely purchase another Razer computer only if it offers a battery replacement option.

8. parawizard

Reputations:
    Seems like the failing battery was causing me some severe overheating. Very weird. I removed the battery after last gaming session and it had ballooned massively. The screws were hard to take out and it had bulged out like 0.5cm!!!!! It deflated quite a bit after it was removed and cooled down.

9. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It’s made by BYD (build your dream lmao), not sure if it’s from blade 14 2015 age, since that blade is unbelievable solid, was sold it back in 2017 and the seller listed it as working machine recently for like €600. I think the issues was starting from 2016 stealth, from my experience when pairing with the core it was steady hitting a good 100 degrees CPUs on some titles, and I think some guys thinking it’s a gaming laptop and play overwatch or CS go on 720p and hyping on chroma keyboard (from what I saw from my old stealth buyer), that’s literally cooking the battery on top (if) having bad battery quality. I use Blade laptops alway by limiting turbo boost, no fancy ultra setting and a must Undervolting to keep it on 80ish areas beside hardware tweak like repasting annually and dusting, maybe also lucky factor not having such hardware issues in past 5 years owning blade laptops.

10. parawizard

Reputations:
    Weird **** just keeps happening. I get ping spikes to any wireless AP of over 100 frequently causing kicks from games. Only happened since battery turned into a balloon and cooked the laptop causing a couple thermal shutdowns. Seems to be the Intel AC 9250 has gone flaky. Once it gets into that state I have to uninstall/reinstall driver and it works for a few more hours. Same Ubiquiti hardware for ever. Swapped out to a spare AP as well and same problem. Same problem hot spotting from my phone too. Ordered a replacement card. Hopefully that and the new battery fixes most of it...