Razer Blade 15.6" (GTX 1060/1070, 2018 edition) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Razer' started by X33nbat, May 20, 2018.

1. Jakky

Jakky Newbie

Reputations:
    I hope it's okay to crosspost from another thread. Has anyone been able to adjust their fan controls with the BIOS?

My fans turn on at around ~50C, which is really annoying since my temperatures fluctuate below and above the threshold to cause the fans to turn on and off constantly. To make things worse, my fans make a loud buzzing noise when starting, which is probably the only reason why I'm looking to raise the threshold. I'm also on the latest BIOS version and using Throttlestop to undervolt

I've pretty much followed seen on this video (but maybe it only works for the 2017 models. I have the Razer Blade 15 Advanced)

And this is the only other resource I found (which talk about the same BIOS changes)
    https://www.reddit.com/r/razer/comments/asmkfa/razer_blade_15_2018_fan_control/

However, flashing the BIOS hasn't change anything on my laptop.

Last edited: May 15, 2020
  2. Muezick

Muezick Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I've definitely missed this if it was mentioned before; but does anybody know how to solve the power limit throttling in the RB15 2018 Base model?

My 8750h ramps up to like 70w of power for a few seconds, then drops down to 45w.

To be clear, with the paste job it has and TS, it does not reach thermal throttling. This is a power limit throttle. It goes from maintaining 3.9Ghz on all cores without issue to dropping to something like 2.6Ghz on all cores.

edit: Upon some further observations it seems the power limiting only hits when the cpu spends an amount of time at 90c, so maybe it is "thermal throttling".

Too bad.

Last edited: May 31, 2020
  3. Makyura

Makyura Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...f-your-razer-blade-w-no-pl-throttling.827919/

4. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Did you try repasting it maybe it dried out since it’s already 2 years old? Some titles would easily spike the temperature higher especially on this laptop category and if you’re removing power limitation repasting job is a must. I can keep it not surpassing mid 80ish on GTA online, did like last month after 2 years owning flag, before on same game it can easily reach 90ish. Though mine is advanced with vapor chamber maybe the things would be different but I remember base model cooling system is actually not bad at all according Notebookcheck.

Attached Files:

Darkhan likes this.
  5. Muezick

Muezick Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Oh yeah, the cooling in it is pretty great.

I kinda just gave up because well, it's not really something I notice in daily use, or when even gaming most of the time. It gets warm, but doesn't really throttle. The only time I was seriously noticing either thermal throttling or power limit throttling, was in applications like Cinebench R20 ... which lol .. that's just a benchmark, who cares.

I don't think i wanna repaste it. its not bad enough yet.

Joikansai likes this.
  6. werdmonkey4321

werdmonkey4321 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Does anyone here have the 90 watt bios for the RTX 2070 Super Max-Q from the Razer Blade Advanced 15? I'm trying to flash my GS66 Stealth from 80 watts to 90 watts.

7. parawizard

parawizard Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So I was playing Escape From Tarkov and all of a sudden the row F2 diagonal to Z stopped working. After removing the battery and jiggling the keyboard cables it was only the Z and F2 key that remained inoperable.

After lots of troubleshooting and theorizing I found that the voltage wasn't increasing on on the block of diodes when pressing either key unlike all the other keys in the area of the keyboard. I suspected something went wrong with the keyboard membrane or the ribbon cable.

After taking out the motherboard I saw that FB5402 (Ferrite Bead) melted through one of the three keyboard ribbon cables destroying 2 pins of the connector. These are the Z and F2 keys The Ferrite Bead dissipates EMI noise as heat. I am guessing the ribbon cable was not suppose to sit right against the motherboard. Either it was folded wrong so it stood up or someone forgot to apply kaptop/thermal tape.

Looks like I will have to replace the entire palm rest with keyboard or just buy a new laptop if I want a fully functioning keyboard again.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
  8. Goracij

Goracij Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    This sort of ribbon damage is quite repairable with some moderate soldering skills - lines are wide, damaged part of ribbon is in an accessible place. I think you can either give it to be repaired or replaced for reasonable money or DIY. The question is rather why FB5402 became that hot.
    I didn't pull out my motherboard, but for Razer it's pretty easy to forget to do/put smth inside/outside of the laptop. So there may be a lack of a tape or wrong placement indeed.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
  9. parawizard

parawizard Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    it's not a copper cable. It's a trace ink/printed plastic one that is part of the membrane keyboard itself. It would be very very hard to repair and the pitch is at most 1mm. I have been brainstorming on how to possibly fix it but it will be very hard just trying to make a good connection with the printed trace material under the burnt plastic.

Would be something like this:
    • Somehow prep the 2 traces on both sides of the hole
    • Tape or glue a piece of plastic on the underside
    • Draw the first trace on and wait for it to dry
    • Paint on a layer of something to insulate it
    • Draw the second trace on
    • Paint on a layer of something to insulate it
    Would have to dig up some old keyboards with similar ribbon cable, burn a hole myself and try to see if I can figure out a repair process.

Might want to check yours. I have covered mine with kapton tape for protection. I am not sure if FB5402 went out of spec or not. I am not sure what the ribbon cable is spec'd to temperature wise. FB5402 seems to be intact and measures out as it should. Checking out random SMD ferrite beads on mouser I see operating temps up to 155c

10. RobotDoctor

RobotDoctor Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    My original battery for my 2018 Razer Blade base model started to bloat. I have 3 years of extended warranty with BestBuy Geek Squad (oh joy of joys) but purchased a compliant battery myself. I would rather pay for a battery than let GeekSquad touch my computer, take it for a week to two weeks just to replace a battery. Touch pad "mouse keys" now feel normal and are functional without effort. When inspecting the original battery compared to the replacement there is a bit of bloating occurring, nothing major but that would soon change. No damage to my computer whatsoever.

Muezick likes this.