Razer Blade 15.6" (GTX 1060/1070, 2018 edition) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Razer' started by X33nbat, May 20, 2018.

1. Muezick

Muezick Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I bought my Sabrent EC-NVME enclosure for 20 bucks used on ebay last month. It works alright.

My system is the RB15 2018 Base Model. And yeah it does seem to cap out at 10GBs. Faster than USB 3.0 for sure but disappointingly short of the best speeds available via TB3.

2. wiredchild

wiredchild Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi, I'm new here so hope this is the right place to post!

I have a Razer Blade 15 2018 (GTX1070) and I just noticed the flex cable in the centre of the hinge is starting to crack/split, I've uploaded an image here: https://imgur.com/a/whB8C8z

I've only had it since December but it is a new-refurbished unit with 90 days warranty so is technically out of that period however I did have to send it back to Razer as several of the keys weren't lighting up in January which ate up around a month of this period!

I understand that this is a very common issue and begins to affect the camera/mic, although it doesn't seem to be causing any problems at the moment this is really disappointing after just a few months of maybe being opened once or twice a day. I really expect such a high-end laptop to last some time if cared for properly.

I just want to ask how others have found/resolved this issue as I guess this is a ticking time bomb before it starts to cause problems for me.

Thanks.

3. kessomatt

kessomatt Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I have a 2018 blade with 1070 since launch and its been pretty rock solid aside from some windows update issues. I am noticing it is running a bit hotter these days. Last night the GPU reached 86c. I know a repaste is recommended but id rather not do this myself since it is under warranty still. I got the 4 year microsoft warranty when I purchased it. If I bring this to the Microsoft store will they do a repaste for me?

4. wiredchild

wiredchild Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi, thanks for the info. It's a great machine and generally speaking has worked like a dream (apart from the keys that weren't lighting up, which Razer sorted). But yeah, It's a shame this flex cable can't seem to survive three months of what I think is pretty light use (opened probably once a day on average, maybe 10 hours gaming a month) :/

Is the cable is ok condition on your machine kessomatt? And other peoples? Thanks again.

5. kessomatt

kessomatt Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Yes. The cable is just fine on mine. No problems with my webcam or anything else.

6. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Did you ever clean the fans? Mine, early batch black vapor chamber already cleaned 3 times in this nearly 2 years. GPU mostly always on 70ish never reach mid 80ish, I think I see rarely also in 80ish and CPU with Undervolting it stays mostly on mid 80ish some games spike it to 90ish though especially on pre rendering scenes like loading on open world titles.
    No I don’t have it and please don’t happen after 2 years guarantee runs out next month LoL.

7. parawizard

parawizard Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    No issues with IO errors when writing large files?

Which NVME drive did you put in the enclosure?

8. Muezick

Reputations:
    Haven't run into any IO errors at all no.

I've used a lot of drives in it

Namely I used parted magic's Gparted to clone the ssd i had been using(A 1tb oem samsung drive similar to a 960 evo) to a 2TB HP ex950, since then I've put a few OEM Samung drives into it, a few toshiba drives. Mostly for testing purpose or data recovery

Maybe the enclosures you tested were bad? In the past, When I got IO errors on large files it was because the enclosure itself was bad.

9. parawizard

parawizard Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Have tried oem 1TB Toshiba XG3 drive in Sabrent EC-NVME and UGreen NVME enclosures. Both same problems. Maybe my usb-c port has a hardware issue. Will just have to live with it if that is the case.

Works ok on Alienware 13 R3, MBP 15 and my Android phones.

Last edited: May 4, 2020
  10. Muezick

Reputations:
    Yeah that sucks dude. Seems most likely that yeah it is the TB3 controller itself in your system.