Razer Blade 15.6" (GTX 1060/1070, 2018 edition) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Razer' started by X33nbat, May 20, 2018.

1. Prandals

Prandals Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey guys, my battery bulged up, and I'm looking for a reputable battery vendor. Do you guys have any recommendations from experience? I have the Razer Blade 15 GTX 1070 (2018 version)

2. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Just took a flyer on a used but seemingly good condition (if the pictures are to be believed) GTX 1070 model with the 4K screen. Purchased on fleBay from a seller with a 100% rating and more than 13,000 feedback. Paid $1,150 + tax but am getting $57 back in fleBay bucks plus another 2% cash from Rakuten.

The seller claims the touchpad requires a bit of force to actuate, but maybe they're just pressing on it too close to the top. They have a 30-day return policy so if it's worse than they describe, I'll have an out.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
  3. Muezick

Muezick Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Get the model number of the battery off the battery, take it to ebay and use that + the word "Genuine"

You will most likely get a brand new, original battery, especially if it has a decent warranty, like 1-3 years. Which lots often do.

4. Rydell86

Rydell86 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey guys, I'm about to buy into the eGPU thing and replace my desktop with this:

https://www.amazon.com/Razer-Blade-15-Smallest-i7-8750H/dp/B07HPQPNV1

and this GPU

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HY6QWX...olid=2Z3RI81N7XVOF&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

eGPU case yet to be determined.

My goal is to run RDR2 on an external 4k monitor with less than a 10% performance loss from the GPU. I'm reading that this model (the one this thread is about) has a TB3 controller that's not on the CPU. Any idea what I should realistically expect going into it? I have a budget of about 1300 for the laptop(refurbished / used OK), maybe there's an alternative Razer 15" model I should go after?

5. Muezick

Muezick Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

Pretty sure you're gonna get to enjoy 10-15% performance loss no matter what setup you use. Thunderbolt 3 just aint that great. Which puts your $1200 GPU on par with its $700 counter part. You should probably realistically just buy a 2080s and deal with it being about on par with a regular 2080/2070 Super. 2080 Ti is not even remotely close to worth it for the price you pay.

I am hoping this changes once PCIe 4.0 comes to laptops. I am hoping Thunderbolt 4 clears this up, because until it does, e-GPU setups are just not worth it. You could buy a Razerblade 15 with a 2080 already in it and see similar numbers for the same price after the dock and GPU are paid for.

6. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    All right, got the Blade I bought set up. Did a clean install from the recovery partition, and the touchscreen is not working.

Edit: After several hours of troubleshooting, I can't get the touchscreen to work. Fortunately, the seller I bought it from has a 30-day no questions asked return policy so back it goes.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
  7. adamagingwit

adamagingwit Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey guys. Does anyone here have a problem with the built-in webcam and/or mic on your Razer Blade 15?
    Mine's not working at all. The problems started when I video call using Skype, and suddenly the webcam died. After that, the built-in mic also not functioning.
    I tried to look into the device manager, and the Microphone (Realtek(R) Audio) is listed in there, but I can't find anything that indicates webcam, camera, or imaging devices.
    I tried reinstall windows using Windows 10 Recovery Tool, still no luck. Then, I contacted Razer support to ask for the Razer Recovery USB Key and tried to reset with that, but also no luck.

My device is Razer Blade 15 GTX 1070.
    If there is somebody that can help or pinpoint me giving tips or something I should check / do, please tell me.
    Thanks

Oh and sorry for the bad english, not a native english speaker

8. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Sucks to hear that, but you are victim of the Blade 15 2018 design flaw of the crappy display cable.

https://www.google.com/search?q=raz...MUKHXjOCZgQrQIoBDAAegQIBBAN&biw=2560&bih=1303

You need to send it back and get the whoel screen lid replaced. Send Razer also this link that it is common and on them.

Muezick likes this.
  9. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    For egpu setting stealth with icelake cpu is way to go, yes it’s because internal TB3 controller, a lot better than any Blade 15 egpu performance.
    Mine is still working just fine, I’m recording sometimes for fun like playing guitar etc. Just like other said it most probably hardware problem, send it let them fix it.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
    Muezick likes this.
  10. parawizard

parawizard Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Just wanted to report that nvme enclosures using the JMicron JSM583 bridge chip do not work in the USB C port. Seems like maybe this chipset doesn't work at USB 3.1 Gen 2 speeds on any coffee lake machines. If you want to use an external nvme enclosure go for Thunderbolt ($150+) or Asmedia/Realtek enclosure.