Razer Blade 15.6" (GTX 1060/1070, 2018 edition) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Razer' started by X33nbat, May 20, 2018.

1. Assault

Assault Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Anyone order the optical model yet? If this keyboard kits the Blade Pro 4k 120Hz model, I dang well might upgrade. 1.7mm travel sounds comfy, even though it looks like you lose the secondary key lighting, again.

Also Microsoft is now offering a 4 year warranty online and in-store for cheap, with returns through January. :eek:

edit: I just noticed another change on the optical keyboard model. They replaced a USB-A port with another Type-C on the left side of the machine.
    5cf4c5fdbfe2b4240d2444bfa0744b8c-1024x593.jpg

Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
  2. QUICKSORT

QUICKSORT Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I have been an Alienware user for a long time.
    Used the Alienware M14x, alienware 15 R1, Alienware 13 R3, Alienware Area 51M.

The Alienware Area 51M that I own is a great laptop. It looks good (subjectively), it's VERY powerful, but it feels fragile, fragile in terms of internal hardware, I already had a GPU burn on me once. Had to wait 2 months for a replacement. Yesterday, due to a driver update, the GPU was undetectable by the OS. It was quite tough to fix that, but I managed to fix it. Alongside that, it has other annoying small issues that I honest can live with, but with these issues happening in only the 1st year of the laptop I want to switch, also the fact that this laptop is VERY heavy, large and has 2 massive PSU's and a TERRIBLE battery life, I decided to switch. I had now 4 candidates to swap to:

Alienware m15 R2.
    Razer Blade 15 Advanced
    Gigabyte AERO 15
    Dell XPS (+ External GPU)

I pretty much settled on the Razer blade 15 advanced. And Before I wanted to buy it, I noticed it had a rather low rating on amazon (which is where I will buy the laptop, because Access to that laptop in EU is a little troublesome)
    But I wanted to ask here if there are common issues, both hardware and software wise that I should be aware of?
    Also is the 2080 max q powerful enough to drive a 1440p 144hz monitor?
    Also is there any other handy info I should know, be aware of?
    Can I swap the SSD? As I do have a samsung 970 pro 1TB, that I much rather use than the default SSD.
    Is it easy to repaste? Is the default paste job good enough?

Thanks in advance.

3. Wishmaker

Wishmaker BBQ Expert

Reputations:
    Ignore Amazon reviews because some people just want the world to burn. I have my Razer since May and it has been a work horse for me.
    Premiere Pro + thousands of lines in excel+ gaming.

The laptop itself is amazing build quality and while it will get a bit warm and sound like an F22 raptor you need not worry.

M2 drive swapping is easy as pancakes but I recommend you buy a specific tool kit to avoid damaging the screws when removing the bottom. They are very prone to damage if you are aggressive.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

QUICKSORT likes this.
  4. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yes it’s but I don’t see the need yet, default paste job can still keep cpu gpu temperature on 80ish average on my early batch 2018 advanced (Black vapor chamber), maybe I’ll do that next summer before the Guarantee ran out, yeah EU 2 years guarantee:)

5. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I have mine since April and it has served me well but i i see problem areas. Most notably the battery and display cables. Issues with those components take time to develop. Also i had 2 lemons before getting a decent unit. 1 wouldnt even power on when unplugged. The battery circuit was fried.

6. Wishmaker

Wishmaker BBQ Expert

Reputations:

What should I expect when the display cables ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

7. No0B

No0B Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Open up the unit and make sure that the thick display and webcam ribbon cables that run over the vapor chamber do not bend too tightly where they come out of the display assembly. If they bend too tightly, you can experience premature cable failure. Just make sure it has a good bit of leeway there.

To use a photo from above, the point of failure is this bend: https://i.vgy.me/jaoyma.jpg

Just unstick the cable from the vapor chamber and stick it back a little closer to the bend. The cable doesn't really need wiggle room the rest of the way.

And don't be surprised by plastic wrap crumpling sounds when opening and closing the machine. The display cable's shielding makes those sounds.

EDIT: I'm just now noticing that they appear to have reinforced the cable at the point of the bend. You might not even need to do it after all. I have an early unit from 2018 with the black painted vapor chamber and my cable doesn't have what looks like some harder shiny plastic bits on the cable where the bend is.

8. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Some people have reported that they started to split/tear in the 2018 Blades. This ofcourse happens over time. It is unknown for us if they revised the material of these. In the 2018 version, the webcam cable start to die out randomly for quite an amount of users as well. This latter past seems to have lessened a bit in the 2019 version but might be too soon to say. In the end I wish they didnt use a flat cable for the display and webcam but just oldschool wires through the hinge itself. The flex cable is folding a bit every time you close and open the laptop screen. Cables through the hinge tend to stay stationary thanks to how the hinges are designed in laptop.

9. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The 2018 model also had the reinformed plastic, but it is just a tad shorter.

10. QUICKSORT

QUICKSORT Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Does anyone know where I can buy in Belgium the Razer Blade 15 Advanced Oled (RTX 2080) with Qwerty layout?
    Razer through his own website, doesn't ship the Oled model to Belgium, and also for some reason only in Nordic keyboard layout. I simply want the international US qwerty keyboard.
    I found the Razer Blade oled on amazon.de, however apparently that one has a german qwertz layout.

So I don't know where I can get in Belgium the Oled International US Layout model. Anyone knows?