Razer Blade 15.6" (GTX 1060/1070, 2018 edition) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Razer' started by X33nbat, May 20, 2018.

1. Defalt

Defalt Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    A quick question, are people using the latest drivers for CPU & GPU or the ones on the Razer driver support page? (Thanks for the responses to my heat issue btw, a re-paste did the job)

2. No0B

No0B Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    No problem dude. Have a good one with your machine. :) Just keep in mind that most high performance compounds (Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut for example) will lose performance quicker because of the ingredients specific to them. In a very recent Gamers Nexus video der8auer said that Thermal Grizzly recommends to change Kryonaut about every year or so when applied on a GPU die (no figures for thermal cycles in that period). This would also hold true for direct die cooling for laptops. Nothing to worry about, just something to keep in mind for when you eventually will notice a degradation in thermal performance, or higher fan speeds. My Kryonaut application would actually be due for a repaste soon.

I'm using different drivers from the ones supplied by Razer (aside from their specific platform drivers), and especially the Realtek sound driver. Making my own build of it with the latest components from Realtek's FTP server helped with headphone and speaker popping and microphone issues.

3. Muezick

Muezick Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Apparently this isn't common knowledge and people are reporting reps who are failing to explain this fact to them during customer service calls.

You can request a recovery flash drive from razer free of charge so long as your razer is still under it's original manufacturer warranty. I upgraded my RB15 to a 1TB NVMe SSD and i'm having a problem with my windows installer. I told them these things and they sent me a recovery drive that will act exactly like the built in recovery partition. This is also useful for fresh installing say Windows 10 Pro instead of Home, since i don't think you can even option these laptops to have Pro at time of purchase. (I have not yet tested this second part)

Also these drives are ****ing sexy looking. Easily the most stylish thing Razer has ever made lolz.

https://i.imgur.com/YyDRw8b.png

4. RobotDoctor

RobotDoctor Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I just performed a fresh Win10Pro install on a NVMe m.2 ssd and all is well. Synapse 2.xx seems to be the only software that doesn't launch. It is installed but will not open. The only reason I want to use it is to control the keyboard color. While the color wave is nice it is too distracting to me. Any suggestions on how to get Synapse to open? Thanks in advance.

5. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Do you have old keyboard, why do you need Synapse 2? Maybe try reinstall it.

6. RobotDoctor

Reputations:
    I have a 2018 Base model. I have tried to install it several times with the software from the Razer site. Did the 2018 Blade systems come with Synapse 3? I suppose I can try to load that version and see what happens..

7. RobotDoctor

Reputations:
    I uninstalled Synapse 2 and installed Synapse 3 and it is running. My lighting profile came up when I logged in. Now to work on Nvidia Control Panel and get that running. Most of the applications and software (including replacement/new licenses) have been loaded. I am having an issue with VMWare and installing a virtual computer running WindowsXP. This has never been an issue before. Software has a valid license so maybe uninstall and reinstall might be necessary.

8. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Synapse 2 is for Blade laptops from 2017 any Blade from 2018 use Synapse 3. I thought you’re using old external keyboard that still use Synapse 2. Idk about VMware though I don’t use it...wait windows xp lol, what are you doing btw:).

9. RobotDoctor

Reputations:
    Nvidia Control Panel now functioning. Working on VMWare issues. Should have that resolved in a moment or two.

The moral of this story is: Create a restore point before installing software. Keep in mind Microsoft and Apple generally do not play well together. DO NOT install Duel for Windows software on your system. After this fresh build my system is significantly faster than it was with my other primary ssd. Of course I am sure I could have done a fresh install on that but I suppose this was my excuse to go from SATA to NVMe. Did I gain significant speed in doing this, probably not. However, I have the ability to write this expense off against my consulting business. :D

10. RobotDoctor

Reputations:
    I need Windows XP because I support robot systems that require software that really won't run well after XP. I could install Win7 and run in XP mode but some of the software is flaky doing this. That's why I created a virtual machine. Besides, it beats carrying two laptops for my work. :)

Muezick and Joikansai like this.